Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees Gone Along the Quay

• 12-04-2011 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see that the trees along the Quay from Reginalds Tower to the GPO have been choped.

Is this to do with putting in the roundabouts or has that lad in the corpo who hates trees had his merry way again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

A bit of both no doubt, hacked them Saturday morning,
    Next crazy project on the cards is ripping up all the footpaths on the quays and putting down that awful granite that occupies 'dead square'

Q? Where are they getting all this cash to burn seeing the length of housing lists and grants for social & voluntary groups being cut...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Saw them at the weekend and nearly died...what the hell are they at...they can't leave the stumps like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Saw them at the weekend and nearly died...what the hell are they at...they can't leave the stumps like that.

Saw them myself the weekend. Only noticed the ones near the lights towards the tower end of the quay, so thought it might have had something to do with visibility, especially after that lady was killed a few months back!?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

I'm not a gardener but I always thought that the time to seriously prune trees and hedges is about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Yeah , those trees apparetnly are being cut down as its part of doing up the viking triangle area so it will be worth it. Footpaths need to be replace with better ones. Replacement trees are to be planted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I think this is part of the 'Green Route' plan and probably the development of the Viking Triangle. If anyone is interested in reading about the Viking Triangle then check out the framework document on the City Council website. You can see visuals of what they have planned in terms of new paving different from the rest of the city centre, new seating, trees, cleaning up of buildings etc.

By the way, the City Council actually has a Tree Policy.
    Hoffmans wrote: »
    Q? Where are they getting all this cash to burn seeing the length of housing lists and grants for social & voluntary groups being cut...
    It's not "cash to burn" - it's a wise investment in developing the city so the people that live and work here and the people we want to visit here have a nice environment. It's only a relatively small amount of the Council's budget too. If the Council didn't do this work I'd say you would be the first person to give out that they are not doing it - Council is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I am a gardener and sometimes you gotta be cruel for the big picture, I would say hold your fire on this one and see what develops, as the council are hardly putting a foot wrong with what they are doing lately. I know there are two roundabouts planned for the Quays to slow traffic and move the footpaths out into the sun.make the quays one lane each way, and as a by product i would imagine force traffic onto the bypass, esp heavies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I think this is part of the 'Green Route' plan and probably the development of the Viking Triangle. If anyone is interested in reading about the Viking Triangle then check out the framework document on the City Council website. You can see visuals of what they have planned in terms of new paving different from the rest of the city centre, new seating, trees, cleaning up of buildings etc.

By the way, the City Council actually has a Tree Policy.

Will this all be finished in time for the Tall Ships!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Who cares, thats another' wise investment, ' if your on to much psydelics of course,to believe it,
    Trouble is this green route business is coming from n25 landlords in holland not the little mice in city hall...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

/\ :confused: /\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Will this all be finished in time for the Tall Ships!
    I think some of the 'Green Route' work along the Quays will be finished for the Tall Ships. The Viking Triangle will be developed over the next 2 years in various stages. There will definitely be new trees at the entrance to Greyfriars along the Quay, and I would assume new trees to replace the ones that have been cut. I don't know if all the new trees will be there for Tall Ships but I would be optimistic that the Council will do it.
    Hoffmans wrote: »
    Who cares, thats another' wise investment, ' if your on to much psydelics of course,to believe it,
    Trouble is this green route business is coming from n25 landlords in holland not the little mice in city hall...
    Dunno what you're on about, sounds like you're the one who took too many psychedelics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

As a critic of the council in the past, the work theyre doing in the depths of a recession to make this city a marketable product deserves enormous credit and it's unfair to classify it as cash burning. What has been achieved in the last 12 months is amazing (Bolton Street, Waterford Crystal, Bishops Palace), implemented as per a visionary Viking Triangle plan as already mentioned and better still, the money is obviously there to go with it. We may well look back on these times as a turning point for Waterford.

Advertisement