Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attempted murder

• 12-04-2011 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

Had an old guy in a pink Yaris drive straight at me this morning as I filtered. It really boils my blood every time this happens, which seems to happen far more frequently when I take the Piaggio instead of the Ducati. Would I have been wrong to turn around and go back after him to smash his wing mirror off? I didn't do that of course, just took some deep breaths and continued on my way. But the big smirk on his face as he went by me really haunts me now!! :mad:

Anyone else encountering this kind of behavior lately? I'm thinking of fitting a HD camera to the front of the scooter. Just wondering though can you use privately recorded video as evidence in Ireland?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I've had this happen before, lost the head a bit (steel toed MX boots are awesome)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd be seriously tempted to do a u turn and follow him. Thing is, if you do anything, chances are he'll pass you on a commute a few days later and god knows what he'll do.
    I kicked a car door once and called a guy a cùnt once! Haven't had cause to since.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Yeah happens to me regular enough, I ride a px200 so i wonder is it partially a scooter thing. Really boils my piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Would I have been wrong to turn around and go back after him to smash his wing mirror off??

Yes, but so long as he had no way of identifying you I won't tell anyone...

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Had an old guy in a pink Yaris drive straight at me this morning as I filtered. It really boils my blood every time this happens, which seems to happen far more frequently when I take the Piaggio instead of the Ducati. Would I have been wrong to turn around and go back after him to smash his wing mirror off? I didn't do that of course, just took some deep breaths and continued on my way. But the big smirk on his face as he went by me really haunts me now!! :mad:

Anyone else encountering this kind of behavior lately? I'm thinking of fitting a HD camera to the front of the scooter. Just wondering though can you use privately recorded video as evidence in Ireland?

My policy was (when i had my bike - CBR600FS) if the gob$hites using the roads hadn't the knowledge to mirror,signal,manouevre then they were fair game for a right bollocking and if they refused their wrongdoing then their refusal to aknowledge their wing mirrors ment they didn't need them! ...... ever see the face of a sickened BMW owner with fooked mirror? :D ,

Although to point out, this happened in relatively slow moving traffic in morning rush hour,he had been repeatedly & dilebrately been moving in and out riding the white lines just to keep me behind him, his smirking face in the rear veiw was getting my goat so i thought "i'll show this funny fooker" .

so no telling what I may have done in your situation but i dare say continuing on after a few deep breaths wouldn't be high on the list.

although i believe in karma lol .... i got mine not long afterwards when my bike was stolen :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

happened me more then once and boots have been thrown..

boiling my piss even thinking about it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

old guy in a pink Yaris

I think he's got enough problems :D

OP, where abouts did it happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

In the mornings I spend a fair amount of my journey on the wrong side of the white line due to filtering past traffic so I get this a lot too - it doesn't really bother me anymore, i just move on... but what I do notice is that fellas in Jeeps seem to be the worst at it - they really go for the kill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

If you're on a scooter here what to do..place a bag of gravel/small rocks in it on the front somewhere.....when you see him again dig in and toss a handful at his screen...bet he wont do it again...;)
    Dont be tempted to lash out..i did before and my foot caught inside his wheel arch, not only did i nearly crash but nearly broke me foot in the process...ouch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

jameshayes wrote: »
    In the mornings I spend a fair amount of my journey on the wrong side of the white line due to filtering past traffic so I get this a lot too - it doesn't really bother me anymore, i just move on... but what I do notice is that fellas in Jeeps seem to be the worst at it - they really go for the kill

I think jeep/suv drivers in general are the most ignorant drivers on the road. Rarely indicate, hog lanes, drive too slow. I really hate the lot of them!

I get the odd psycho narrowing the gap on purpose when driving. Not much ya can do except try pull in a bit and remember them for next time. If I get pricks going the same way trying to block me off ill get in front and go real slow.and try get them stuck at traffic lights as it goes red and then tear off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hen I used to dispatch in Dublin I'd remove a mirror nearly every week

the trick is to have a plate that's held on with magnets and just lean back, pull it off and stick it in yer bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I've lost count of the number of wing mirrors i've put down at this stage. Feels better these days also what with the fancy indicators in them and what not must cost them a pretty penny to replace.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

A lot of piss boiling going on.....

An eastwing inside the fairing comes in handy...;)

WTF is an eastwing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭OllieNorth

eastwing is the best hammer ever made.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

KamiKazi wrote: »
    WTF is an eastwing?
    estwing.jpg
    Now you could use any old hammer, but there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy it youself...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

Tigger wrote: »
    Hen I used to dispatch in Dublin I'd remove a mirror nearly every week

the trick is to have a plate that's held on with magnets and just lean back, pull it off and stick it in yer bag
    Mister men wrote: »
    I've lost count of the number of wing mirrors i've put down at this stage. Feels better these days also what with the fancy indicators in them and what not must cost them a pretty penny to replace.:D

Jeez - no wonder they're out to get us... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

scorn wrote: »

I don't think anyone was talking about going around smashing random punters wing mirrors. If someone tried to kill you, losing a wing mirror is a very small retribution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

hmm... one wonders...

scorn wrote: »

Think you have the order of events confused. The wing mirror kick is performed after someone trys to kill you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Think you have the order of events confused. The wing mirror kick is performed after someone trys to kill you

Maybe he was once Scorned by a biker so thinks were full of lies...

I will get my coat....

goodlad wrote: »
    I will get my coat....

Goodlad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yeah happens to me regular enough, I ride a px200 so i wonder is it partially a scooter thing. Really boils my piss

I think there may be something to that, I recently just picked up a 200PX myself, and tbh I have noticed a difference in some drivers attitude/behaviour towards me when compared to riding my other bikes.

I beening riding a good few years, so I'm well used to bad driving, however, it would appear that drivers pull out in front of me more often when I'm on the PX compared to the transalp. The thing is that the vespa doesn't have the power that the other bikes have [there all between 500-650] to get me away from bad driving. Though whilst I have a lot of long term plans for the vespa, one of the first things I intend on getting is a nice loud horn for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭horse7

dont bring yourself down to their level.there are some decent cage drivers out there,and some of them are annoyed at bikers doing stupid things too.the biker hasnt got the same protection so look after yourself and you know all the 4 wheelers are potentially out to get you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you want to see attempted murder, wear a yellow tabbard with L-plates for a week. You might as well be a big, bright red flag in front of a herd of very angry bulls!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 madra dubh

Best thing I witnessed was a Motorcyclist flagging a car down after being seriously cut up. The rider parked his bike in front of the car, took his gloves off carefully, put them on his saddle, walked up to the drivers window and tapped on the glass. When the driver wound the window down he received a perfect right hook. The motorcyclist then went back to his bike, carefully put his gloves back on and gently rode off.... class!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Had an old guy in a pink Yaris drive straight at me this morning as I filtered. It really boils my blood every time this happens, which seems to happen far more frequently when I take the Piaggio instead of the Ducati. ...
    Anyone else encountering this kind of behavior lately?
    Odysseus wrote: »
    I think there may be something to that, I recently just picked up a 200PX myself, and tbh I have noticed a difference in some drivers attitude/behaviour towards me when compared to riding my other bikes.

I beening riding a good few years, so I'm well used to bad driving, however, it would appear that drivers pull out in front of me more often when I'm on the PX compared to the transalp. The thing is that the vespa doesn't have the power that the other bikes have [there all between 500-650] to get me away from bad driving.

Actually, I think it IS scooter thing. Years ago, in Galway, I had a run-in with a guy in a 5-series, whilst on my PX............basically, he was in a queue of traffic heading out of town in the am - the queue to the industrial estate, and I filtered up outside. Anyhoo, at the top of a hill, the traffic thinned a bit and I got into the moving queue, and next thing Del boy in the 5-series skims my handlebars - must've been pissed at getting passed by a PX..:rolleyes:...and off he goes. 500 yards up the road, the traffic is backed up again and I filter past, but this time pull up outside his window and mouth off at him (not very effective from inside the helmet tbh......:p ). Del Boy loses it again, hops out of the 5 series, and grabs me by jacket. So, bit of a jawing session, in the middle of the road, in the full glare of morning traffic. In work a few minutes later, right across the road, one of my compadrés who had been sitting in his van watching all this, makes the (then) obvious comment: why didn't I head butt him, in defense ? I, after all, did have a Schuberth on............mmmm, missed that, I did..........:cool:

91-DL-18xx.........Karma's a beatch, you know........(yes, I still remember the number.........)

I used to commute the 20 miles each way on the N6 on my PX, and people really, really, really hate being behind scooter's. Don't know what it is, some sort of inferiority complex/penis envy, obviously :p And it doesn't make any difference to what speed you're doing, they just see red when behind a scooter........ Cure: Big F-Off Scooter: which is why I love my Aprilia Atlanti 500 (..when it runs that is......:rolleyes: ) You should see the looks of people when you flash them to move over, at 120kph, 2-up, on a ......'scooter'. Heh Heh Heh...:D

As other's have pointed out, no-one ever does it when I'm on my H-D.........funny that..........:pac:
    I'm thinking of fitting a HD camera to the front of the scooter. Just wondering though can you use privately recorded video as evidence in Ireland?
    Of course you can: the country is filled with CCTV and it's used on Crimeline all the time. So if you're of a mind to, record away. Mind you - you'll only be recording from the front..........?? Helmet cam, anyone........ ??

Odysseus wrote: »
    Though whilst I have a lot of long term plans for the vespa, one of the first things I intend on getting is a nice loud horn for it.
    ........ah, about that: AC powered big horn......??? :P
    madra dubh wrote: »
    Best thing I witnessed was a Motorcyclist flagging a car down after being seriously cut up. The rider parked his bike in front of the car, took his gloves off carefully, put them on his saddle, walked up to the drivers window and tapped on the glass. When the driver wound the window down he received a perfect right hook. The motorcyclist then went back to his bike, carefully put his gloves back on and gently rode off.... class!!
    I got deliberately cut up in Eyre Square, years ago, by a lady in a Volvo, and she then hovered 12" from my bumper. Anyhoo, enough was enough: I pulled up, in the middle of the road (she was now so close she couldn't go around, see......), and see her big son had been goading her on (probably, about 20yrs age) in the passenger seat, and he gets out, jawing at me. The mother was mortified.....she probably though I was going to come in through the windscreen.........so I knocked off the bike, put it on the centrestand, took off the gloves - in peak time traffic btw - and went back and ....'enlightened' him(verbally). Mother was trying to hide from mortification......I then walked (very) slowly back to bike, put gloves on, kickstarted several times - oh, damn, did I forget to turn the key ? :rolleyes: - get on, take off centrestand, and drive nice'n'easy away. Mother was now jawing at son, in the middle of the traffic as well.

Like I said: Karma. :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm thinking of fitting a HD camera to the front of the scooter. Just wondering though can you use privately recorded video as evidence in Ireland?
    Fit it to your helmet, that way you always have it with you.
    Perhaps it won't stand up in court but there's nothing stopping you from putting it on youtube.

Advertisement