Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attempted murder

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Think you have the order of events confused. The wing mirror kick is performed after someone trys to kill you

No - I realise that, don't get me wrong. And fair play if that is the order of events... but I have met some very angry bikers in the past and on more than one occasion have, unfortunately, had to say to myself that what I've just witnessed is why us bikers get a bad rep.

Saying all bikers are good and honest and never do anything out of line unless provoked is the same as saying all cage drivers are ignorant and out to get us. Though they probably are :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

biko wrote: »
    Fit it to your helmet, that way you always have it with you.
    Perhaps it won't stand up in court but there's nothing stopping you from putting it on youtube.

If the cops were to look at anything I record there'd be more evidence against me than in my favour :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I almost killed (or at least ran over) a bike today heading into work :mad:

I came up to a round about and pulled onto it into the outer lane. I was taking the second exit. But I didn't know that a bike and entered the round about just after me and started overtaking me on the outside of the round about while I was trying to take my exit.

He was going around at pace so his helmet was almost touching my passenger window. He was fully aware of me being there so the only thing I could do is slow down and let him on front of me.

What he done was dangerous, but I'm not sure if it was illegal. Maybe overtaking on the left side of someone is illegal actually. I dunno. It was just really dangerous and he is lucky I check my blind spots before changing lane or turning.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Had an old guy in a pink Yaris drive straight at me this morning as I filtered. It really boils my blood every time this happens, which seems to happen far more frequently when I take the Piaggio instead of the Ducati. Would I have been wrong to turn around and go back after him to smash his wing mirror off? I didn't do that of course, just took some deep breaths and continued on my way. But the big smirk on his face as he went by me really haunts me now!! :mad:

Anyone else encountering this kind of behavior lately? I'm thinking of fitting a HD camera to the front of the scooter. Just wondering though can you use privately recorded video as evidence in Ireland?

Did he cross over / swerve at you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I almost killed (or at least ran over) a bike today heading into work :mad:

I came up to a round about and pulled onto it into the outer lane. I was taking the second exit. But I didn't know that a bike and entered the round about just after me and started overtaking me on the outside of the round about while I was trying to take my exit.

When you say outer lane, do you mean nearest the kerb or centre of the road?

Outer lane to me is centre of the road and if that's where you where you were wrong.

If it's nearest the kerb the biker was wrong.

He was going around at pace so his helmet was almost touching my passenger window. He was fully aware of me being there so the only thing I could do is slow down and let him on front of me.

What he done was dangerous, but I'm not sure if it was illegal. Maybe overtaking on the left side of someone is illegal actually. I dunno. It was just really dangerous and he is lucky I check my blind spots before changing lane or turning.

Overtaking on the left is legal in certain circumstances. It all depends on what lane you went to and how you signalled.

• Advertisement

Yeah sorry the wording isn't great. Usually the outside refers to the one closer to the centre of the road :) But I was thinking in terms of going around a corner and taking the outside lane of the roundabout.

I was on the outside of the roundabout near the curb and bike slipped in between my car and the curb. Of course there is no curbs around the roundabout but you get my point. It would of been okay if he was to taking the first exit. But he was taking the second one.

Like I could of been one of the 99% of drivers that do not use indicators on roundabouts and taken the first exit and drove into him because I never checked my blind spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You want a horn, best for bikes is a Stebel Nautilus. Great sound for a small horn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

KamiKazi wrote: »
    If the cops were to look at anything I record there'd be more evidence against me than in my favour :pac:
    Agreed :D But it'd be fun to watch :D

the_syco wrote: »
    Agreed :D But it'd be fun to watch :D

No doubt about that.

Passed an unmarked cop car at 100MPH yesterday while giving them the finger. Didn't realise it was a cop car until the grill lit up with flashy blue lights! :eek:

they only waved at me to slow down, think they realised they were in the wrong for pulling out into my lane in front of me.

Passed an unmarked cop car at 100MPH yesterday

I can see where you get your name from!! :D I take it that wasn't in Ireland though.

• Advertisement

I can see where you get your name from!! :D I take it that wasn't in Ireland though.

Of course not. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Passed an unmarked cop car at 100MPH yesterday while giving them the finger.

Best sentence I've read on boards in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Best sentence I've read on boards in a long time

Yeah quality stuff. Only way it would have been better was if he was up on the back wheel doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Yeah sorry the wording isn't great. Usually the outside refers to the one closer to the centre of the road :) But I was thinking in terms of going around a corner and taking the outside lane of the roundabout.

I was on the outside of the roundabout near the curb and bike slipped in between my car and the curb. Of course there is no curbs around the roundabout but you get my point. It would of been okay if he was to taking the first exit. But he was taking the second one.

Like I could of been one of the 99% of drivers that do not use indicators on roundabouts and taken the first exit and drove into him because I never checked my blind spot.

Biker was in the wrong there, and fair play to you for letting them off with it.

Talking of wrong behavior saw a biker this morning filter up to the traffic lights. Fine I thought, but he gets blocked about 3 rows back from the front of the queue and decides the pavement is fair game as a temporary road. Then again I saw cars using the pavement as a filter lane a few weeks ago. Basically the standard of driving in this country is pretty bad! It's all for the sake of being 10 seconds down the road of course, like there's a prize at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

you do have to be awake in town alright.

As a biker i would be particularly aware and always allow room for overtaking and filtering and such.

Don't know how many times i've prepared to move over to my left a bit nearer the kerb/cyclelane to let a filtering bike through only to see a gob****e in my left mirror filtering his stupid arse up my inside.

one of these days he's going to end up on his arse on the footpath.

Advertisement