Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtra Vision in Rush to close

Options
  • 12-04-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Was in Xtra Vison last night and the guy working there was telling me this is its last week that after Sunday its gone.
    Shame to see it go and to have none in the town now.
    Seems to have been an issue over rent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Seems to have been an issue over rent
    That they couldn't afford to pay it any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Maybe the landlord was looking for a rent increase that made it unprofitable to keep the shop going? Who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

It's those greedy landlords and their cloud cuckoo land "upward only" leases!

this country is going down the tubes because of them! The amount of places that have closed due to rent issues is not funny ...
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    That they couldn't afford to pay it any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It's those greedy landlords and their cloud cuckoo land "upward only" leases!

this country is going down the tubes because of them! The amount of places that have closed due to rent issues is not funny ...
    Without getting into a debate over it as this is not the place, there are plenty of landlords who have lowered rents and to say the country is going down the tubes because of a higher rents is a simplistic view of the economy.

Anyhow I'm sure if a movie rental store is profitable then another one will open in Rush.

A question for the posters, does anyone draw a connection between the cinema closing in Balbriggan, this video store closing (regardless of rents), and the general availability of good quality and very cheap DVDs in the Sunday market at Balbriggan which have all the latest releases?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ToyotaCorolla

Well that would be a factor, plus a lot of people have multimedia drives that can store hundreds of films and connect to your tv. So no need for dvd/blue ray players. I know in the After Hours forum a lot of people have said how they walk into there local store and check out what new movies are out then head home and download them.

• Advertisement

I remember the excitement years ago when Xtra Vision opened , up till then we had rush electrical - loved that place. Can still remeber the excitment of renting rocky 4 and the empire strikes back in the one day!!
    There was also a video shop above angelos - where maurice cole had his barber shop.
    Lets not forget when there was a video shop in prices (where eurospar is) think hughes's ran it . Ah memories:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Well that would be a factor, plus a lot of people have multimedia drives that can store hundreds of films and connect to your tv. So no need for dvd/blue ray players. I know in the After Hours forum a lot of people have said how they walk into there local store and check out what new movies are out then head home and download them.

I'd agree with you both there. I'd also say that cinemas and video stores require disposable income. Many families don't have a disposable income to spend/buy these things anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Ah what?? I'm not the world's most regular customer, but that's been there forever! That's awful.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I have to agree with op, the charity shop where looking at opening a shop in Rush.The rent was very high but the landlords silly rules, like no SALE sign in the window , was just MAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I remember the excitement years ago when Xtra Vision opened , up till then we had rush electrical - loved that place. Can still remeber the excitment of renting rocky 4 and the empire strikes back in the one day!!
    There was also a video shop above angelos - where maurice cole had his barber shop.
    Lets not forget when there was a video shop in prices (where eurospar is) think hughes's ran it . Ah memories:D

Ah the electrical shop. I remember you had to put your name down to book any of the new releases because they only ever had one or two copies. The town had a few different places you could rent films at one point. The electrical, the place above angelos, was it called Bobs or something like that? Then there was Kanes (nice smell of stew in that place), Prices, down the back. Then there was ST Ledgers shoe shop who had a few racks of films and then there was a small shop up near the primary school who also did them. Xtravision then came in and all but the electrical closed. The electrical tried for a couple of years to compete but eventually they went also and Xtravision have been putting their prices up ever since.
    I guess it was only a matter of time before they went. Too many other ways of getting films I guess. Pity though and while I dont go in as often myself, I did still rent from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

It's also being knocked on Sunday. The house opposite it is in the middle of being gutted and now this is going. That's just a tad mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

If its closing on sunday can i rent loads of dvds on sunday and not have to return them :D

Means driving to Skerries or Balbriggan now for a dvd :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭briany

Shame. Rental places are going out of business generally it would seem. I remember Rush Electric pretty fondly too. They used to have a good selection of videos and games. I also remember Castle Video too which I'm sure is long gone but I forget where that was. Back in the early 90s, when we got our first VCR, my father would rent maybe eight videos in one go and we'd all watch them over a weekend. Good times....

eh i dunno wrote: »
    If its closing on sunday can i rent loads of dvds on sunday and not have to return them :D

Negative. It's all switched to Skerries system.

Its gone now

Interesting how the sign said we are moving ....eh no your closing.
    If someone like An Post moves a premises they stay in the town just a different location is chosen. Surprised they didnt even have a sale of the stock just sent it back to the warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Surprised they didnt even have a sale of the stock just sent it back to the warehouse.

ha thats what they were obviously trying for the last few years to no avail!
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

Well I dont know much about Rush but all the xtravisions and Chartbusters all over the area are closing down. TBH I have been downloading or borrowing off mates so I presume thats the way the whole business went. Some of them have 'diversified' into tanning salons which is a bit of a joke.

I dont think its much to do with upward only rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Renting and leasing issues pop up in The Independent's article.

Xtra-vision says 1,300 jobs still safe as examiner steps in at firm

By John Mulligan
    Saturday April 30 2011

THE owners of Xtra-vision sought to assure 1,300 workers last night after an interim examiner was appointed.

Birchall Investments, the parent company of the movie and electronics retail chain, confirmed yesterday that David Hughes of accountancy firm Ernst & Young has been appointed interim examiner of the Xtra-vision business. A petition will be made to the High Court on May 12 to formalise the appointment.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/xtravision-says-1300-jobs-still-safe-as-examiner-steps-in-at-firm-2634022.html

Interesting figures, you wouldn't think so much of their profit comes from the sale of 'hardware'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Well I dont know much about Rush but all the xtravisions and Chartbusters all over the area are closing down. TBH I have been downloading or borrowing off mates so I presume thats the way the whole business went. Some of them have 'diversified' into tanning salons which is a bit of a joke.

Exactly, I haven't rented a movie in years and before that I was a pretty good customer, just watched for special deals in HMV or Virgin when it was on the go otherwise just call periodically over to my friends who don't have eircom and transfer 30-40 movies on to my external hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

^ Probably best not to advertise the above on boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

dubmick wrote: »
    ^ Probably best not to advertise the above on boards.ie

True but then I discovered the TV forum here and noticed all the reviews of series not available in Europe yet from posters with Irish locations(funny that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Exactly, I haven't rented a movie in years and before that I was a pretty good customer, just watched for special deals in HMV or Virgin when it was on the go otherwise just call periodically over to my friends who don't have eircom and transfer 30-40 movies on to my external hard drive.

Nothing illegal about downloading movies. There's nothing there to state that they were illegally downloaded.

Nothing illegal about downloading movies. There's nothing there to state that they were illegally downloaded.

It's not the download the previous poster was talking about, it's the filesharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 myst

Heard they are back in trouble again. A few shops have closed down all of a sudden without notice, the one in Coolock, Santry, Raheny and Rivervally along with Rush. Thats a fair amount, Id say thats a few Jobs gone alright. Wonder which stores are next!? What happens if your rent a game or a film and the store closes? Can they get it back from you? seems unlikely! They seem quite desparate, last time I was in I was approched by staff overing me loads of deals and then again when i was getting my film.

Advertisement