Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank to percolation

• 12-04-2011 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I have an the old style septic tank, three 4 foot concrete rings deep with one 4" pipe in and one 4" pipe feeding the percolation manhole where it spreads out in three different directions.

The 4" pipe going to the percolation keeps getting blocked. All I have is a short 90 degree bend with a blanking cap on the end that has holes drilled in the cap and some in the bend. My thinking is that there should be a 4" pipe going nearly all the way to the bottom to allow the water to rise up to an elbow and flow away.

Any ideas and what would you put at the end of the pipe instead of the blanking cap with drilled holes?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

kop77 wrote: »
    I have an the old style septic tank, three 4 foot concrete rings deep with one 4" pipe in and one 4" pipe feeding the percolation manhole where it spreads out in three different directions.

The 4" pipe going to the percolation keeps getting blocked. All I have is a short 90 degree bend with a blanking cap on the end that has holes drilled in the cap and some in the bend. My thinking is that there should be a 4" pipe going nearly all the way to the bottom to allow the water to rise up to an elbow and flow away.

Any ideas and what would you put at the end of the pipe instead of the blanking cap with drilled holes?

Thanks.

Hi Kop,

Im not quite sure i understand your set up -are you saying that all you have isa a90 degree bend in the tank with holes in it taking away the water to the perculation area?

If that is the case there is not enough flow, because the cap is there - holes in it or not its not good enough and is a poor job.

The outlet needs to be similar to the diagran and that outlet goes to a distribution box where 3 lengths of perferated pipe (land drain pipe) come off that and seep off the water into 3 soak away drains, constricted of stone chip surrounding the pipes

septic-tank.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

As per the diagram provided by snyper if the pipe is the correct length you need nothing on it... about 2/3 way down into the tank and it should be in liquid all the time.. Too short and the floating solids will get in, too long and solids from the floor will get in...

also it should have a tee at the outlet to vent the system....

I'd guess that the current system was employed to slow down the flow as percolation is too slow, would it be possible that the percolation is backing up rather than blocking...

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Thanks lads, yes all that was fitted was a short 90 degree bend facing down with holes in the cap & bend itself which fed the pipe going to the distribution box. Scum was starting to block the holes causing the sewerage to back up to the house. No problem with the perc area just need to sort out the pipe in the tank. I was thinking it needed to be a pipe going directly down into the tank with a T into the outlet pipe. I didnt know how long it should be but its 2/3 way down ;) and I didnt know if there needed to be some sort of mesh at the bottom of the pipe and no is the answer to that. So theres a job for me at the weekend, should be handy enough just a bit of pipe and a T.

Thanks again,

Advertisement