Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing hosted CRM using web services

Options
  • 12-04-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to perform a proof of concept of integration with CRM 4.0 for a project we are designing. Rather than installing the trial version which would require setting up Active Directory as well, I setup a trial hosted version here

I am trying to establish a web services connection but I am getting a 401 Unauthorised error. Some of the code samples I found involve using the DiscoveredService but I cannot add a web reference to this in Visual Studio as it doesn't find it. The asmx file is there when accessed in the web browser but there is only an Execute method init.

I suppose my question is: Can the hosted Microsoft CRM solution be accessed using the CRM web services?

Thanks for your help,
    John

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm not 100% sure about your specific question, I think it can, in fact we're planning on doing it for a project at some point.

I'd look at how your code is authenticating to the web service. It sounds very much like it either isn't or is not doing it correctly.

edit: found this which lead to this which lead to this. I haven't had a chance to look at it in detail but it seems to be specifically for connecting to the hosted version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. I've been reading through the links you gave me but the point that's stopping me is adding a reference to the DiscoveryService. I've just realised there's a special one for IFD and am now able to find it but I'm repeatedly being asked for username and password. Entering the valid combination does nothing and I am unable to add the reference.

Without the reference I can't follow the process outlined in the first link you gave me. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    John

stevenmu wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure about your specific question, I think it can, in fact we're planning on doing it for a project at some point.

I'd look at how your code is authenticating to the web service. It sounds very much like it either isn't or is not doing it correctly.

edit: found this which lead to this which lead to this. I haven't had a chance to look at it in detail but it seems to be specifically for connecting to the hosted version.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I take it you're trying to use Visual Studio to create a web reference to the service?

That would be how I would have started to approach, but looking at the code sample in the last link above I don't think that's what they're doing. They seem to be using a CrmDiscoveryService class that looks like it's part of the SDK and in either the CrmSdk or CrmSdk.Discovery namespace.

So it looks like it can't be treated the same way you would with a standard web service, instead it looks like you need to use the SDK and include a reference to a DLL in it, import the namespaces and use it's classes/objects. (at the end of the last link they also mention samples in the SDK which should help find what DLLs you need to reference.)

Advertisement