Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing your name on inside cover of a book. Yay or nay?

Options
  • 12-04-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

I was reading a book passed down from an uncle recently and saw his name written on the left corner of the top page, along with the date he bought the book: over thirty five years ago.

This gave me a nice feeling of nostalgia, imagining my uncle reading a book (that I love) at an age younger than I currently am now.

So, do you write on the inside of your books?

Do you write on the inside of books? 35 votes

Yay.
    0% 0 votes
    Nay.
    100% 35 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Depends on the book, if it's just a novel your going to read once and pass on or leave somewhere then no but the like of reference books or books you know you'll read many times then its a nice idea. (I have a dictionary that I still use with my name on it from 1979)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

:eek:
    I'm shocked and appalled.

But no, I don't ever write in books.

It's YEA or nay, not yay or nay...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

A while back I designed labels with my name on them, and stuck them on the inside covers of all my books (about 120) at the time. I'm now regretting it as they look pretty ugly, being strong bleached white stickers on the more sallow tones of publisher-grade. I can't take them off either, as they'll cause a bigger mess. Grrr!

As regards annotating, I find it great. I read The Catcher in the Rye recently and made a good few notes on the side. I can now take it down from the shelf and flick through to see nice extracts, or little interpretations I had of various parts. When I was discussing the book with a friend I flicked through it, and could show them stuff I had gotten out of it.

That's a nice idea, writing the date! Place of purchase wouldn't look so great for me: most of mine were bought online. Online shops lack the refinement of the high street!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Thats nothing, I've a friend who, when finished reading a book will just throw it in the bin :eek:

I find the image quite humorous because its something ive never come across but if anything is inexcusable its that haha.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Thats nothing, I've a friend who, when finished reading a book will just throw it in the bin :eek:

Now that's just upsetting! At least give it to charity or a school library or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

dr gonzo wrote: »

That's mental, I hope it's the recycling bin at least!

I don't generally write my name on books, but whenever I'm abroad I try buy a book in the language of that place and I usually write the location and date on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Its not something I do but it would be interesting to write your name on a book, give it away and have it turn up years later in a charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's YEA or nay, not yay or nay...

You learn something new everyday! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I annotate history books quite regularly, just to keep up with what is going on. In fact I remember reading one book out of the college library (Charles Townshend, 'Political Violence in Ireland') where there were at least four different people conducting an argument on each page. The first guy appeared to be a terrible bore; underlying tiny factual errors for example, or stressing anything said with conviction was 'not considered a consensus view', or something like that. Then person 2 came along to correct person 1. Person 3 was evidently having a laugh and scrawling abuse on the side of the page, thinking nobody would read the book after him. Person 4 was me. I had a jolly old time indeed.

I was always a rather strange young man...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

For a while I wrote in "Stolen from Ms. ______ ______" because I noticed that any book I ever lent out was never returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I like a bed to look lived in but I prefer my books to look as they did the day I bought them; brand new. This is because they'll be spending most of their time on my shelf where their purpose is to both to look good and make me look good.

In all seriousness though, I do like keeping my books in prestine condition. I can't stand it when my brother picks one up and opens it in such a way that the spine will crease. It drives me mad.

I do have a friend who occassionally gifts me books and writes insulting, hilarious dedications in them, which I treasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kensworld

I'd be the same Earthhorse. I like to keep my books in perfect condition. If I ever loaned one of my books to someone I'd ask them the look after it well and not to turn down any of the pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

But think of it! If you become a famous author, your great-grandchild will be able to dig your signed copy of "Candide" out of the attic, and sell it for 20 superdollareuroyuans and buy a gram of ultraheroin. Then it'll all be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I don't write my name in now but I've only really started buying my own books in the last year or two. I like the idea of writing when I read it in there though. It'd be interesting to see how long ago I'd have read some of them, or see the gaps between re-reads years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Books to me are like a comforter, they get carried everywhere, taken from downstairs to upstairs and back down again, off to work, in the car, into town etc. How often I actually get to read the book when I carry it about is limited but hate to find myself with a spare 10 mins that I could have read a bit more.

The more I love a book the more battered it gets as I re-read them over and over. So some books I have been carrying around periodically for over 20 years! lol

Eventually when a book is too battered to valiantly carry on, I buy a replacement and carry it instead, but the old faithful earns a rest in my library, to be carefully dusted, and lifted out on occasion, just for the memories.

And yes I do write my name on them occasionally. And when I have a pen handy the month and year that I bought it. I bend my pages, use bookmarks, use paper clips as markers and generally break all the "rules" but I must say, my books tend to last, ok they may look like they have seen life, ( which they have) and so what if they have developed a few wrinkles, that's what happens us all!

Esk

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

As regards annotating, I find it great. I read The Catcher in the Rye recently and made a good few notes on the side. I can now take it down from the shelf and flick through to see nice extracts, or little interpretations I had of various parts. When I was discussing the book with a friend I flicked through it, and could show them stuff I had gotten out of it.

Years back my husband read a secondhand copy of The DaVinci Code. It was very shortly after the book came out and the hype around it had just started. He hated the book, but absolutely loved that the previous owner had written lots of notes in the margins. Especially as s/he had hated the book as much as he did. So whenever something stupid or obvious happened in the story, there was a sarcastic comment alongside it for him to agree with.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I've never really done it myself but now that you're mentioning it, I think it sounds nice to have a name and a date on it :) I'd love to hand down my books with a little history on it for my children :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I like the idea of datestamping a book purchase, but I just can't write on them at all.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

Giselle wrote: »
    I like the idea of datestamping a book purchase, but I just can't write on them at all.:)
    You could always just put a little piece of paper on the inside cover with the info on it. You'd just leave it in there and not attach it, the book isn't damaged and you get the little reminder of where you got it or when you read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Bought a book yesterday and wrote my name, the date and where I bought it on the inside page. Felt grand (I didn't have the anticipated backlash of "defacing" a book that I suspected I might), so I'll probably keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

I couldn't write on a book, hate the idea of doing anything like that. However, I once purchased a book I already owned while travelling, wanted a good read and knew it'd keep me entertained and then left it at my final destination with a little note in it stating where it was bought and where it travelled to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

I don't since I hate writing in books in general.
    The only exception is when you give away books and write short dedications into them or have them signed by the author etc.
    But not in my own, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

For a while I wrote in "Stolen from Ms. ______ ______" because I noticed that any book I ever lent out was never returned.

I feel your pain, I've a lot of books that have found new homes much to my annoyance!

I'd never, ever write on a book. It is just wrong. Wrong I tells ya, wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Every time I see the thread title, I die a little inside. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The librarian side of me loses a little of my love for humanity when I see it. Your post is battling it out with the thread title in my head...my thoughts on humanity are on the line in this fight :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For records purposes, I'd always date it. Then check the margins for how much I can write there to argue against the author. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Yea, I know what you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

I always write my name on the inside cover with a pencil. Some of my friends like to borrow my books, forget it and put it on their shelves. Sometimes they don't even remember if it was mine but I can always check.
    Sometimes I even put a small logo inside. Ex libris. But I'm not a big fan of that because my design is rather poor. When I find a perfect ex libris I'm going to stick it to every book I own.

Advertisement