Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year Computer Programming Course

Options
  • 12-04-2011 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a 1 year computer programming course or Post Grad. course

Looking to start from basics/technical background, but want something that is resonably respected in the work place.

Any ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I did the H. Dip. in Software Design and Development in NUIG a few years ago. I was out of college a year and looking for a suitable basis in software engineering and found the course was exactly what I was looking for. There was a small class when I did it (pre-bust) and I understand they've had a larger intake since then.

Of the class, half went straight into work (web development, graduate software engineering) with a variety of companies. Others opted not to graduate but to merge into the Masters class (which involves an additional year working on a project). I graduated but started a separate two year research myself and have just secured a job for when I finish my thesis shortly :)

You start off with the basics of programming (using the C language), software design and databases in the first semester along with a choice of additional subjects. The second semester was much more intensive and involved a hell of a lot of exposure to different technologies. And then you'll have a year team project to work on.

There are a few of these types of courses around in different colleges, no matter which one you take I'd offer two suggestions:
    1 - Pick a year project that is an area/using tech. that you won't have exposure to otherwise.
    2 - Experiment with different frameworks and languages in your spare time. Do some personal projects using these. It will look great on your CV.

Hope some of this helps.

Advertisement