Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primary school bullying

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I'm a teacher and a parent. Firstly, violence won't end this in my opinion. Secondly, you need to get a copy of the Discipline Policy, request a meeting with the principal and go in and ask, not on your own though. Bring a social worker or friend with you. Then you need to write to the B.O.M. and state which parts of the policy are not being adhered to.
    You should hear back soon but get it done before the Easter.
    I hate to say it here but as a child who was badly bullied, had my hair set on fire and was pissed on my face, bullies parents are often no better than themselves, go down the legal route.
    Involving the Gardaí is next on the list as the school is not providing adequate duty of care to your child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 maurichlee

Went to the meeting at the school about the urinating incident on my son. The priest who is the Board of Management said that the evidence (pair of pants that were urinated on) could not be used as evidence as they were tampered with(he suggested we had taken them home and performed the urination ourselves!!)OMG!!!I am so shocked! Not one of us thought of that!!! hmm... Once again the victim gets VICTIMIZED!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ktod

In my opinion, it is now time to take this higher and involve the cops. End of. Go and speak to them and see what they say, this is an absolutely intolerable situation and you are getting no help whatsoever from the school - why on earth would you make something like that up? Ridiculous people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Definitely speak to the police now. They will be able to do very little initially but if you tell them each time there is this kind of harassment then they can build up a body of evidence.

The priest is not the board of management - he is the chairman of it. There should also be two parents and two community reps on the board as well as two teachers. Write to each of them making a formal complaint - if they then refuse to investigate it you will have grounds to involve the Department of Education as well.

Have you received a copy of the bullying/discipline policy yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

You can also write to the bishop for the deoices and his is the direct patron of the school.
    I would also be demanding that the child be places in another class.
    Sounds like the teacher is incompetent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Macros42 wrote: »
    Definitely speak to the police now. They will be able to do very little initially but if you tell them each time there is this kind of harassment then they can build up a body of evidence.

The priest is not the board of management - he is the chairman of it. There should also be two parents and two community reps on the board as well as two teachers. Write to each of them making a formal complaint - if they then refuse to investigate it you will have grounds to involve the Department of Education as well.

Have you received a copy of the bullying/discipline policy yet?

Often the parents on BOMs are the creeping jesus brigade and will go along with the priest and principal and those from the wider community are usually the same ilk and also go along with the principal and parish priest and are often principals in other schools or of certain professions who are also involved in the church.

I'm not a bit surprised that the priest turned it back on the victim, I've been there and worn the t-shirt. You need to get the gardai involved, at the very least you'll be bringing in independent people and not leaving it in the hands of the principal and parish priest to cover it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

maurichlee wrote: »
    Went to the meeting at the school about the urinating incident on my son. The priest who is the Board of Management said that the evidence (pair of pants that were urinated on) could not be used as evidence as they were tampered with(he suggested we had taken them home and performed the urination ourselves!!)OMG!!!I am so shocked! Not one of us thought of that!!! hmm... Once again the victim gets VICTIMIZED!!!

Wow, I'd unleash the hounds of hell on them now. Make a complaint to the gardai, and write a letter to the bishop explaining everything that's happened, all the times your child's been bullied, all the times you've complained and all the responses you've gotten from the school and BOM. Tell them you've made a police report and unless they sort out this intolerable situation IMMEDIATELY you are willing to do whatever's necessary to protect your child, including going to the media and bringing a lawsuit against the diocese. CC the letter to the school, the priest/BOM, the guard you complained to, your lawyer if you have one, the archbishop, the Dept of Ed, your TD -- your letter will be evidence that all these parties were informed of the situation, and they will bring pressure on the school because they won't want to be blamed for doing nothing to protect a child if something else happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

This should be stopped right away and if doesn't help then it can be a Gardai case, my youngest brother in Primary school used to get bullied by a boy who failed 3 times and his family had a reputation of not finishing school and his brother who was supposed to be in Secondary school even had a child. I was walking home one day and the little fella came with one of his friends and started picking on me, being older than him I ignored him and walked away, then after that night, it got out of hand when his cousins used to come around my house frequently looking for me, they even drove around in a white van hoping to pull me in and beat the crap out of me. I reported this to the Garda and they warned the boy (the 3rd time). Now if he even fails the drinking test, he is jailed for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

deisemum wrote: »
    Often the parents on BOMs are the creeping jesus brigade and will go along with the priest and principal and those from the wider community are usually the same ilk and also go along with the principal and parish priest and are often principals in other schools or of certain professions who are also involved in the church.

I completely agree. But the point is to ensure that the whole BoM are aware of the issue and put them in a position where they are obliged to do something about it or face quite serious legal consequences. They should be doing something out of a sense of duty but failing that a sense of fear will do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

maurichlee wrote: »

So in other words, if an item of clothing is urinated upon, the child should leave it in the school to ensure he will be believed? That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard and I have heard many stupid things.

OP, the fact that a member of the board accusing you of fabricating the incidents definitely means you have to go higher. Gardai, bishop, Department of Education, whatever! Don't bother going to the bully's parents, follow the official channels.

I am shocked that the priest said that to you. Why on earth would parents make something like this up?? I hope he loses his post over that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

Sharrow wrote: »
    You can also write to the bishop for the deoices and his is the direct patron of the school.
    I would also be demanding that the child be places in another class.
    Sounds like the teacher is incompetent.

O/P I am really sorry to hear how your son is being treated.
    But can I just say, writing to the bishop is a complete waste of time. Are we back in the 60's?. The church as has been proven over and over again will only cover themselves and will do nothing to put themselves in a bad light.

You need to get a solicitor letter into the school immediately and take it from there.
    Even a local newspaper may be interested.( or at least a threat of one)
    No School is going to want that...

Best of Luck OP, hope the little fella get the protection he needs soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

OP has there been any improvement with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'm so annoyed reading all of this. Jesus, in this day and age we still have priests and bishops involved in school management, haven't they done enough damage to children of this State!

OP, I also think you need to go down the legal route here. The time for playing games with the school management is over, enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thread is old... OP if you wish to update, please PM me and I'll open it again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement