Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying/Choosing a wheelchair

Options
  • 12-04-2011 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

It's been years since I did it, so can anyone advise me of the procedure for choosing/buying a new wheelchair?

Also, are there any grants available, or would I have to pay out of my own pocket because I am working?

Thanks in advance.

Apologies if this query is already answered in the "Assitive Technology" sticky.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Usually it's best to get advice from an Occupational Therapist as wheelchairs tend to be very specific to conditions and sizes. They'll also be able to advise you on grants if available.

Generally you can go to some specialized stores if you want to touch and try the wheelchairs before you buy or you can buy wheelchairs online (Disclosure - I'm involved in running TheMobilityShop.ie) and the online prices tend to be a lot cheaper because of lower overheads.

Decisions on which wheelchairs to choose tend to be made around how long you plan to spend each day in the chair, motorized vs manual, persons size etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Usually it's best to get advice from an Occupational Therapist as wheelchairs tend to be very specific to conditions and sizes. They'll also be able to advise you on grants if available.

Generally you can go to some specialized stores if you want to touch and try the wheelchairs before you buy or you can buy wheelchairs online (Disclosure - I'm involved in running TheMobilityShop.ie) and the online prices tend to be a lot cheaper because of lower overheads.

Decisions on which wheelchairs to choose tend to be made around how long you plan to spend each day in the chair, motorized vs manual, persons size etc

Thanks for that. I spend the whole day in the chair - apart from when I'm driving. I would be looking for a lightweight chair with removable wheels and also a folding backrest for ease of lifting in/out of my car. I currently have an RGK Maxima. A friend who is also a wheelchair user recommended the RGK Hi-Lite to me. What do you think of this chair?

I've heard it's a good chair mickey but to be honest haven't seen one in person so it's hard to judge. Definately worth talking to your OT because there are some great new suppliers in the last few years especially in the light weight and transportable area.

I've heard it's a good chair mickey but to be honest haven't seen one in person so it's hard to judge. Definately worth talking to your OT because there are some great new suppliers in the last few years especially in the light weight and transportable area.[/QUOTE]

Such as? Also, my friend advised me to steer clear of OT's as they don't really know what the Client wants in a chair?

Hi Mickey,

Interesting comment made by your friend my experience would be the complete opposite, but like any professionals you get good and bad ones. Generally OT's have the most knowledge about specific conditions and requirements so they know which models are most suitable. I'll drop an email to our team and If you PM me your email I'll email out some suggestions and the pro's and con's for each.

• Advertisement

Hi Mickey,

Interesting comment made by your friend my experience would be the complete opposite, but like any professionals you get good and bad ones. Generally OT's have the most knowledge about specific conditions and requirements so they know which models are most suitable. I'll drop an email to our team and If you PM me your email I'll email out some suggestions and the pro's and con's for each.

IMO, OT's don't really know what suits the person best, because it's the actual client who is the one who will be sitting in the chair long term.

Are there any fellow wheelchair users who have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

When I first needed a wheelchair a few years ago I'd no idea how to go about it. We got in touch with the hse and a random company from the phone book. The sales rep was excellent tbh, explained everything and took measurements. Later a OT did an assessment and she didn't have a clue. Six months later she came back with this massive chair built like a tank and weighed a ton. In the meantime I had bought a good one privately.

I was listed as urgent and it still took six months, so it wouldn't surprise me if you are waiting a few years nowadays. As for the private company it's look of the draw if you get a good rep or a goober. At this stage i'm sure you know what suits more than any rep anyway. I highly doubt there are grants for it.

When I first needed a wheelchair a few years ago I'd no idea how to go about it. We got in touch with the hse and a random company from the phone book. The sales rep was excellent tbh, explained everything and took measurements. Later a OT did an assessment and she didn't have a clue. Six months later she came back with this massive chair built like a tank and weighed a ton. In the meantime I had bought a good one privately.

I was listed as urgent and it still took six months, so it wouldn't surprise me if you are waiting a few years nowadays. As for the private company it's look of the draw if you get a good rep or a goober. At this stage i'm sure you know what suits more than any rep anyway. I highly doubt there are grants for it.

Thanks for that.

Oh, and: "Ooooooooooh yeah!" ;)

Update:

I just had a meeting with a salesman from Momentum Healthcare, and I tried out a GTM chair.

All I can say is "wow". I couldn't believe how light it is!!! I was able to lift it in and out of my car with one hand!!!.

I would recommend it if you do a lot of lifting in/out of cars etc.

• Advertisement

Update:

I just had a meeting with a salesman from Momentum Healthcare, and I tried out a GTM chair.

All I can say is "wow". I couldn't believe how light it is!!! I was able to lift it in and out of my car with one hand!!!.

I would recommend it if you do a lot of lifting in/out of cars etc.

Not sure why the editing function is misbehaving tonight, but here's the chair that I'm talking about:

http://www.gtmmobil.com.pl/en/node/255

Not sure why the editing function is misbehaving tonight, but here's the chair that I'm talking about:

http://www.gtmmobil.com.pl/en/node/255

The editing function seems to be still misbehaving....?? I'm not actually getting the GTM Endeavour, I'm getting a brand new model called the "Mustang". Apparently, I'll be the first person in Ireland to have it!!??:D Not sure what the difference is, but **** it.

...............also, a guy from another company called to me with two RGK chairs. I could not believe the difference between them and the GTM. The RGK's weigh a tonne in comparison. Also, I couldn't really try out the RGK's cos they didn't have a folding backrest which I need in order to be able to transport it to/from my car.

Ah well................

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lico

regarding grants.. do you know that you can buy the chair through VHI. You need to get a letter from the HSE stating that they cannot offer a chair that suits your requirements and that therefore you are buying one privately, the OT will be providing that letter. Then if you are on the correct cover, you end up paying €300 and you can spend up to €5000 if I remember correctly.. not sure about other health insurances..

We have an RGK Hi-Lite and are happy with it but it's quite on the heavy side.. never got the chance to see those GTM..

lico wrote: »
    regarding grants.. do you know that you can buy the chair through VHI. You need to get a letter from the HSE stating that they cannot offer a chair that suits your requirements and that therefore you are buying one privately, the OT will be providing that letter. Then if you are on the correct cover, you end up paying €300 and you can spend up to €5000 if I remember correctly.. not sure about other health insurances..

We have an RGK Hi-Lite and are happy with it but it's quite on the heavy side.. never got the chance to see those GTM..

I am in the VHI, so I will be going down that route. I am covered for medical/surgical appliances up to €6500!!! I tried the RGK Hi-Lite and another RGK the other day - bloody things weigh a tonne compared to the GTM. I would seriously recommend trying one out if you need to take it in/out of a car regularly - it is as light as a feather, but is very, very sturdy.

Right, I need some advice here.

I am getting seriously p****d off with the VHI. They are now saying that I need a "comprehensive consultant's report" in relation to my need for a wheelchair in order for me to be reimbursed by them when I get the chair. Has anyone ever had this issue with them before? I think they are just putting swings and roundabouts in my way to try and deter me? You would think that in this day and age that they would be more willing to help people!!?? :mad:

I now have to write a letter to the National Rehabilitation Hospital in Dun Laoghaire requesting that they write a letter to the VHI for the purchase of the chair!??

Such a load of c**p!

Right, I need some advice here.

I am getting seriously p****d off with the VHI. They are now saying that I need a "comprehensive consultant's report" in relation to my need for a wheelchair in order for me to be reimbursed by them when I get the chair. Has anyone ever had this issue with them before? I think they are just putting swings and roundabouts in my way to try and deter me? You would think that in this day and age that they would be more willing to help people!!?? :mad:

I now have to write a letter to the National Rehabilitation Hospital in Dun Laoghaire requesting that they write a letter to the VHI for the purchase of the chair!??

Such a load of c**p!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.............................having now sent the letter to the NRH in Dun Laoghaire, I now have to request my GP to write a letter to my Urology Consultant to request him to write up a report on my need for a ****ing wheelchair!!!!!
    I can't believe the VHI - and other insurance companies - are allowed to do this *****!!!?? :mad:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.............................having now sent the letter to the NRH in Dun Laoghaire, I now have to request my GP to write a letter to my Urology Consultant to request him to write up a report on my need for a ****ing wheelchair!!!!!
    I can't believe the VHI - and other insurance companies - are allowed to do this *****!!!?? :mad:

Am going to get this done today.........hope this will be the end of it!?:mad:

Salesman from Momentum Healthcare just got off the phone to me about this GTM chair.

He got a quote from RGK for the exact same spec's for one of their chairs in comparison to a GTM........there is over €1000 in the difference, with the GTM chair being the cheaper:eek:!!!

I also tried out a couple of different RGK models, and **** me, the weight difference is incredible. The GTM model weighs nothing in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

IMO, OT's don't really know what suits the person best, because it's the actual client who is the one who will be sitting in the chair long term.

seriously get medical advice.

Being an OT myself we do actually study medicine, orthopaedics etc.

good luck and I will lock this thread if anyone advises against seeking appropriate medical advice .

• Advertisement

Got an e-mail from the sales person this morning. New wheelchair is en route from Poland as I type, so it should be here in about a week, cos it has to clear customs on the way in.

Chair arrived in Ireland this morning!!! Salesperson is on holidays at the moment, so I'll have to wait till next week to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 brumbrum

I too am getting a GTM Mustang. It will be another 4 weeks or so though.

Let me know how you get on with the chair and if ya dont mind I would like to see a few pictures of it too.

Cheers

brumbrum wrote: »

Let me know how you get on with the chair and if ya dont mind I would like to see a few pictures of it too.

Cheers

Howdy. Whereabouts are ya based? Who did you get the chair through? If ye want to come look at it sometime after I get it, drop me a pm.

MM

My new baby will be arriving on Tuesday!!! :D

brumbrum wrote: »

Cheers

Will post up a few pics of it when I get a chance. Trying to get used to it still.

Advertisement