Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fukushima nuclear alert raised to maximum level 7

Options
  • 12-04-2011 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

JAPAN HAS RAISED the severity level of the crisis at its crippled nuclear plant to rank it on par with the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, citing cumulative radiation leaks contaminating the air, tap water, vegetables and seawater.

Japanese nuclear regulators said the rating was being raised from 5 to 7 — the highest level on an international scale overseen by the International Atomic Energy Agency — after new assessments of radiation leaks from the Fukushima I plant since it was disabled by the March 11 tsunami.

So much for nuclear energy being safe. Why is this continuously peddled? It's quite clear that nuclear energy has it's dangers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

dlofnep wrote: »
    So much for nuclear energy being safe. Why is this continuously peddled? It's quite clear that nuclear energy has it's dangers.

And how many unheard of people die in coal mines all around the world every year to keep power plants up and running?

As a matter of interest how many people died at Fukushima?

I dont think any method of energy generation is going to be 100% safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

I'm not pro nuclear, but Fukushima D is a 40 year old reactor.

It's an antique, and shouldn't have been running.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

This complete anti nuclear thing really bugs me sometimes!

Im not all pro nuclear either, but I believe it has a place in today's society as the demand for power is ever increasing. Its not 100% safe but what do people class as a safe way of producing energy?

You have made a very valid point about the reactor not being fit for purpose!
    This reactor was located in one of the most developed countries in the world and yet this disaster occurred. On the other hand there was an unprecedented weather event.

The nuclear agencies do not do themselves any favours either, especially the way they handled the disaster and the secrecy surrounding the event.

Advertisement