Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sight Seeing with an American Tourist

Options
  • 12-04-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a work colleague coming over to visit us next week and I would like to compile a list of things which I could do with her. I'm not from the city so I have done some touristy things myself around the city.

Does anyone who of pubs which run trad sessions during the week (mon - Thurs)? She plays the fiddle and would love to go to some proper sessions, though I've no idea where to take her yet :( Any suggestions welcome!

So far, the touristy things I have on my list are:

1. Midleton Distillery
    2. Blarney Castle
    3. Blackrock Castle
    4. Cork City Gaol (any good?)
    5. English Market (don't know why but tourists are supposed to like this place)
    6. Sea Safari Boat Trip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

If going to Midleton - add in a stop to Cobh - the American's love to visit Cobh aka Queenstown (especially if they have Irish roots). There's a heritage centre there, the Titanic Trail, promenade walk - lots of pubs, cafes etc.

Within the City - Crawford Art Gallery - and throw in lunch at Ballymaloe Cafe there.

Cork Museum at Fitzgerald's Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Arco 08

Get in your car and drive up to Doolin and the cliffs of moher,she will get all the trad music she wants and the cliffs are amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

4. Cork City Gaol (any good?)

VERY good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Arco 08 wrote: »
    Get in your car and drive up to Doolin and the cliffs of moher,she will get all the trad music she wants and the cliffs are amazing.

Thanks, but she's actually in Ireland for 3 weeks, working with us in Cork for the first week and then heading off with her husband around Ireland for the other 2 weeks. I really only need to entertain her in Cork, though I will add the Cliffs of Moher on to the list of other things to do when she is travelling around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Judes wrote: »
    Cork Museum at Fitzgerald's Park.

and while there talk a stroll into UCC and the Glucksman.

• Advertisement

Judes wrote: »
    If going to Midleton - add in a stop to Cobh - the American's love to visit Cobh aka Queenstown (especially if they have Irish roots). There's a heritage centre there, the Titanic Trail, promenade walk - lots of pubs, cafes etc.

I'm ashamed to say I've been living in county Cork 5 years now and have never made it to Cobh, sounds interesting though, thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I think there's a trad session once or twice a week in An Spailpín Fanach across from the old brewery on north main street. It was brilliant the one time i went and was jammed to the door with people.

If the weathers nice Fota wildlife park and the Fota gardens are a nice stroll. Similarly Kinsale could be a nice way to spend a day. Its only about 30mins drive out of the city and theres places like charles fort down there to go visit and nice little pubs dotted around the harbour to have a few sneaky ones or lunch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You have to take her to ring the Shandon Bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

excellent suggestion but not sure if they are open every day ? the butter exchange might be worth a visit there too and dan linehans traditional hand made sweets workshop ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

deRanged wrote: »
    and while there talk a stroll into UCC and the Glucksman.
    and keep strolling to st finbarrs cathedral:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The corner house seems to have it most nights ive been, norm only go maccurtain street on weeknights

sin e fri, sun at half 6? and tuesday at half 9?

Clancys: Trad Tues/Wed at 9pm irish dancing some other night

Spailpin fanacht most nights. Not sunday and one other midweek night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Clonakilty great town for trad too, something every night. loOK UP Shanleys, An Teach Beag and De Barras. Others too. Beautiful coast nearby - inchadoney, red strand galley head, castlefreke.

Definately ring the bells. Ucc nice to see too, walk up to Elizabeth fort and the cathedral on the way.

Yanks love stories about places so look up how chopped heads were displayed on barracks street or during the siege of cork christ church next to bishp lucey park was used first to imprisone prodestants and then after losing the siege catholics who were then killed, or how south and north main street were the viking? gateways to the city, or how grand parade and south mall were rivers etc etc.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Yanks love stories about places so look up how chopped heads were displayed on barracks street or during the siege of cork christ church next to bishp lucey park was used first to imprisone prodestants and then after losing the siege catholics who were then killed, or how south and north main street were the viking? gateways to the city, or how grand parade and south mall were rivers etc etc.

Wow!! Thanks for that info guys, keep them coming if you think of more, really appreciate this!!

How do you go about organising this? Do they people ring them every hour? I checked their website, but no much information about ringing the bells on it. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It's been mentioned above, but try to get to Kinsale, particularly if you get a nice day. Pay a visit to Charlesfort, maybe swing over to Garretstown beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

How do you go about organising this? Do they people ring them every hour? I checked their website, but no much information about ringing the bells on it. Thanks!

I took some out of town friends to ring the bells. If I remember correctly they are open most of the day during the week and Saturday. The tours are self guided and cost a few euro. You basically climb up a big bunch of stairs so make sure she is not afraid of heights or pigeons as the stairs can seem kind of rickety and a bunch of birds are up there. It is pretty cool though and at the top you have a great view out over the city.

http://www.shandonbells.org/opening.htm

jujibee wrote: »
    I took some out of town friends to ring the bells. If I remember correctly they are open most of the day during the week and Saturday. The tours are self guided and cost a few euro. You basically climb up a big bunch of stairs so make sure she is not afraid of heights or pigeons as the stairs can seem kind of rickety and a bunch of birds are up there. It is pretty cool though and at the top you have a great view out over the city.

http://www.shandonbells.org/opening.htm

Wow, sounds good, I had no idea this type of stuff was on my doorstep!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I bumped into 2 girls last Summer that were looking for Blackrock Castle. I dropped them up there and while chatting to them discovered that they were from Pennsylvania so I waited on them and brought them down to see Dundanion Castle just off the Marina as well. That's where William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania, set sail from on his first trip to America. They were thrilled - had never even heard of it or knew where William Penn came from! As they said themselves, not many of their neighbours would ever see it..

In Dublin 2 years ago I met a gang of girls - one of whom was a 'Warden' in Philidelphia. I arranged a tour of Mountjoy the following day for her - (I used to work there) - and she was thrilled as well. Loved the whole historical aspect of it. As it happened there was a gang of Jailers heading out on the town that night so all of their gang tagged along and loved it. It was off the beaten track, in pubs populated by Irish people and away from the Tourist Traps. They loved it as well.

Most tourists love to see the 'must see' sights but are happy to see how locals work and play as well without all the BS attached. Ask her if there's anything she'd like to do. Obviously she's into her music so a good session is a must but most Yanks are also alien to the concept of a 'Local' where people go to sit, drink and chat so if you have a local bring her down there one night.

Advertisement