Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Points 2011: Are they going up?

• 12-04-2011 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm taking the Leaving Cert. this year and I'm aiming for History and Politics at TCD which is a pretty hefty 515 points. Now I'm confidently predicted to get higher than that but if the points do a jump like History last year, I'm screwed. So will the points go up? And not just for my course but across the board?

Fees going up in the UK, Brits will be flooding the place for cheaper uni and with everyone retraining cause of the aul recession, what's going to happen?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

I'm taking the Leaving Cert. this year and I'm aiming for History and Politics at TCD which is a pretty hefty 515 points. Now I'm confidently predicted to get higher than that but if the points do a jump like History last year, I'm screwed. So will the points go up? And not just for my course but across the board?

Fees going up in the UK, Brits will be flooding the place for cheaper uni and with everyone retraining cause of the aul recession, what's going to happen?!

Didn't the CAO report a while ago that the number of applicants dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

i read in the irish times a few weeks ago , that the number of overall applicants is roughly the same , the number of applicants for arts has dropped , comp science has risen 50% and engineering by 6% . the courses more likely to lead to jobs at the end of it are becoming more popular apperantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My ***guess*** is that we won't see the widespread significant jumps of the last couple of years.

That isn't to say that there couldn't be significant jumps in individual courses or even in certain areas, but I have a feeling they should start to level out a bit this year overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Do people think Physio will go up or down or stay around the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

NotExactly wrote: »
    Do people think Physio will go up or down or stay around the same?

I can't see it going down anyway. I really don't think the drop in CAO applicants will effect the points of courses 400+, if you are sure you want to take a course you will work hard to get the points in the first place and unless it is completely, totally unfeasable, people will still apply.

It will be the lower points courses and smaller IT's which perhaps don't directly link you to a job after graduation that'll probably drop in points/applicants, if any at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement