Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural Gas BBQ

• 12-04-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi, Im looking for some advice...

Six months ago we switched over to gas in the house - i was advised at the time to put a tap outside for a Natural Gas BBQ - great idea at the time i thought, now the difficulty is in getting a BBQ that is compatible as i have recently learned a butane (standard) bbq will not work...

Can anyone offer some advise on where i can buy a suitable Natural Gas BBQ without paying crazy money for it?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

The trick might be to see for which BBQ you can buy the NG nozzels or whatever you call it. If you remember when you got your hob (if you did) it should have come with some spare bits for LPG use. YOu just swap them over. I would google some well know brands as see do they support NG with conversion kits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Your best bet would be to look for a bbq with adjustable nozzles as nat gas arrives at a lower pressure(i think) than LPG and butane.

However you must consider something. Your situation is not the norm so its not going to be easy to find. I imagine the best bet is a catering catalogue as outdoor catering companies might need to use them.

I dont think under gas regulations you are permitted or insured to adjust or change the nozzles so dont attempt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭john.martin

Thanks Guys - still on the hunt - found some but really crazy money (€899+) - will advise when i have some joy...

In the meantime if anyone else can offer any suggestions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Hi John, did you find a NG BBQ? I too am looking for one.

Hi cart man - had no joy - ended up folding and buying a regular stand alone - maybe in the future...i can dream...!!!

If you have any better luck you might let me know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

If it runs on natural gas.... its not a barbeque. Its just cooking outside.
    (I know, I'm a puritan)

Tell that to all the Americans - its seems there is massive choice when it comes to NG BBQ's in the States...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Any experienced gas appliance repairer would be able to replace or drill out the LPG jets.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Any experienced gas appliance repairer would be able to replace or drill out the LPG jets.

True - but watch what happens if you have an explosion and you go to claim on your home insurance policy...!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

An experienced gas repairer converted many appliances, cookers ovens hobs etc. when I was doing gas installations, never had a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Gas jets are precision manufactured and approved for an appliance to be tested and certified for sale ie CE mark or similar. I would strongly advice against drilling or making any modification to any gas appliance that would affect its safe operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

An experienced gas repairer converted many appliances, cookers ovens hobs etc. when I was doing gas installations, never had a problem.

By fitting a conversion kit, not by drilling out injectors, if you did then i recon your a one off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

an experienced rgi will get back in his van and drive away if thats what you ask him to do

Advertisement