Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pink ammunition...

Options
  • 12-04-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Well, it's in a good cause. From the Federal website:
    Federal® Ammunition Introduces Pink Top Gun® Shotshells to Support Breast Cancer Research

FP_Top_TGL12P8_12gaPink_MockUp_L_Hull.jpg

hi-rez image

Shooters can now blast clay pigeons for a cause. Federal® Ammunition’s special edition Top Gun® Target loads support finding a cure for breast cancer. These distinctive pink hulls are an effective hunting and shooting practice option or a solid load for shooting competitions. A portion of the sales of this product will go directly to the search for a cure. The new 12-gauge 2-3/4-inch #8 shotshells deliver consistent performance for all types of clay target shooting.

ANOKA, Minn. - April 11, 2011 - Federal® Ammunition introduces new pink hull Top Gun® Target loads in support of fighting breast cancer. The new 12-gauge special edition pink hull target loads are part of the mission to find a cure. They are on store shelves now.

To get a sneak peek of them rolling off the loaders and going out the door, video of these unique shells can be seen below.

Hulls for Healing
    An on-box royalty program sends proceeds directly to breast cancer research. Shooters, survivors, family and friends can all support this great cause.

The highly-anticipated loads have been discussed by many on Federals’ page on Facebook and on the Stormchaser’s network. Visit www.facebook.com/federalpremiumammo and www.stormchasersnetwork.com to engage in the conversation.

Top Gun® Target Performance
    Top Gun Target loads are designed for high-volume shooters. They offer consistent performance at reasonable prices. These shells may look different, but they deliver every time—as shooters have come to expect.

“We are proud to be able to support such an important cause with these shells,” said Brand Director Rick Stoeckel. “Shooters still get impressive performance--while also supporting the fight against breast cancer. These pink shells are a win-win for shooters and breast cancer research.”

To view the new pink hulls, check out other target loads or browse through the entire Federal Premium lineup, please visit www.federalpremium.com.

Part No. and Description
    TGL12P 8 12-ga, 2-3/4", 1-1/8 oz, #8 1145 fps

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Some Ammo Brand should do prostate cancer
    It affects more men than breast cancer, and the majority of shooters are men.

I grew a silly Movember tash last year and raised €450. I'd gladly buy ammo that supported men's health issues

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It affects more men than breast cancer affects women, true (I think), but prostate cancer kills far far fewer men than breast cancer kills women Tack. More men die with prostate cancer than die from it.

Besides, how much of a begrudger do you have to be to support a mens health charity over a woman's health charity (though just FYI, men get breast cancer too in a lovely twist of nature) when there isn't a mens health charity out there?

Sparks wrote: »
    It affects more men than breast cancer affects women, true (I think), but prostate cancer kills far far fewer men than breast cancer kills women Tack. More men die with prostate cancer than die from it.

Besides, how much of a begrudger do you have to be to support a mens health charity over a woman's health charity (though just FYI, men get breast cancer too in a lovely twist of nature) when there isn't a mens health charity out there?

After watching the front line last night it became apparent to me, that the gender balance has swung too far.

I do not want to seem anti female, but why pick breast cancer over all cancers.

I have an uncle terminally ill from cancer that can not as yet be diagnosed. Only cancer identified is on his liver and that normally is secondary. VHI patient so no expense spared.

I see bottles of water in the work canteen for Breast cancer, I never see them for all the other cancers......

It seems PR is all that matters to big business

Colon cancer is hardly going to be described on a consumable items label, yet many die from it

After watching the front line last night it became apparent to me, that the gender balance has swung too far.
    Uh-huh.
    Yeah.
    Hm.

One day I'll know how to explain to you why I think that that was the daftest thing I've ever heard you say, but words rather fail me at this point to be honest Tack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Uh-huh.
    One day I'll know how to explain to you why I think that that was the daftest thing I've ever heard you say....

But he didn't say it, he wrote it;)

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

For fúck's sake! It's a good cause. Just because there are other good causes doesn't mean this isn't as worthy. If you don't want to support it, don't buy the cartridges. If you want to raise awareness for other causes, do so, but to drag some sort of battle of the sexes into it? That's just low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I grew a silly Movember tash last year

I have to say that I looked so dam mantastical with my mo that I wasnt allowed to keep the handlebars.... id to settle for a standard tast :(

Back on topic, good cause, anything that raises awarness is always good. It even has to please anti gun groups :)

For fúck's sake! It's a good cause. Just because there are other good causes doesn't mean this isn't as worthy. If you don't want to support it, don't buy the cartridges. If you want to raise awareness for other causes, do so, but to drag some sort of battle of the sexes into it? That's just low.

I never brag.........
    Nor do I pander to an audience

I gave my opinion.

I never said it was not a good cause.

what I did say was.......
    It should be for ALL cancers, not just one........

And yes, maybe since I have witnessed friends and family die from cancer maybe I am a bit close to the issue to be objective.

@sparks
    You say I made a stupid comment, You seem to say that a lot about my comments.
    My comments were based on fact and personal experience, not stupidity.

Can I ask you
    Why out of all the illness that affect Shooters (target audience) did they pick Breast Cancer??

I doubt there's anyone reading who hasn't lost family and friends to cancers. It's not a single problem. Different types are combatted different ways and have different rates of detection and survival. Breast cancer is a serious problem for women. It's worth supporting any efforts made to help out with it. You took part in Movember, which is determinedly male-specific cancer-oriented, but did you make a lot of noise about how it should be about "all cancers"? Even if that weren't a gross oversimplification of the issue... They're certainly not targetting an audience with an abnormally high incidence rate of breast cancer, but then again, I don't think everyone with a ribbon sticker on their car is HIV positive either.

Why out of all the illness that affect Shooters (target audience) did they pick Breast Cancer??
    Not all shooters are male.
    Those that are male have mothers, sisters, girlfriends, wives, daughters.
    Cop on Tack.

• Advertisement

I doubt there's anyone reading who hasn't lost family and friends to cancers. It's not a single problem. Different types are combatted different ways and have different rates of detection and survival. Breast cancer is a serious problem for women. It's worth supporting any efforts made to help out with it. You took part in Movember, which is determinedly male-specific cancer-oriented, but did you make a lot of noise about how it should be about "all cancers"? Even if that weren't a gross oversimplification of the issue... They're certainly not targetting an audience with an abnormally high incidence rate of breast cancer, but then again, I don't think everyone with a ribbon sticker on their car is HIV positive either.

I took part in Movember as I know several men who have it, live with it and others who died from it, CANCER. I took part in it because it was something I could do, grow a silly Tash, I also give a small donation to the Irish Hospice every month as I helped take care of several old people in their final hours.

My point is Big Business only get involved in PR activities.

Children or women's health issues.
    Yet the vast majority of shooters are male, So why not Testicular cancer?

Because it's not "for lack of a better world,sexy" illness.
    Just like AIDS was not a good fundraiser in the 80's and 90's

Or the way ads for Concern show children starving, not adults.
    It's all about Marketing.

Some things will sell more ammo, some will not.........

If it was not about money, or selling more shells (while giving a small donation to a good cause) they would have picked another less advertised illness

I'd respect them more if they donated money towards suicide prevention & Depression.
    As I am sure there products have been used in a manner not designed for in the past ( but that would not sell more ammo)

Not all shooters are male.
    Those that are male have mothers, sisters, girlfriends, wives, daughters.
    Cop on Tack.

No, only about 70-90% are

And I never said MALE only

I said it should have been for all cancers

I copped on about cancer while sitting watching family get chemicals drip fed into their veins toxins..........

I took part in Movember as I know several men who have it, live with it and others who died from it, CANCER. I took part in it because it was something I could do, grow a silly Tash, I also give a small donation to the Irish Hospice every month as I helped take care of several old people in their final hours.

My point is Big Business only get involved in PR activities.

Children or women's health issues.
    Yet the vast majority of shooters are male, So why not Testicular cancer?

Because it's not "for lack of a better world,sexy" illness.
    Just like AIDS was not a good fundraiser in the 80's and 90's

Or the way ads for Concern show children starving, not adults.
    It's all about Marketing.

Some things will sell more ammo, some will not.........

If it was not about money, or selling more shells (while giving a small donation to a good cause) they would have picked another less advertised illness

I'd respect them more if they donated money towards suicide prevention & Depression.
    As I am sure there products have been used in a manner not designed for in the past ( but that would not sell more ammo)

You know, just about everything about this post sickens me. Nobody can do a damn thing worthwhile without you casting aspersions on their motives. Why bother?

No, only about 70-90% are

And I never said MALE only

I said it should have been for all cancers

I copped on about cancer while sitting watching family get chemicals drip fed into their veins toxins..........

You don't have a monopoly on the suffering cancer causes. Don't act so bloody injured. Raising awareness of "cancer" is completely useless, and donating money to a cure for "cancer" would be even more so. If you pick a specific project, at least you can do some good.

You don't have a monopoly on the suffering cancer causes. Don't act so bloody injured. Raising awareness of "cancer" is completely useless, and donating money to a cure for "cancer" would be even more so. If you pick a specific project, at least you can do some good.

Raising awareness is far beyond pointless

Finding a cure through research is far from pointless.

If Federal said they had donated X amount to Cancer research, or home help for Terminally ill, or suffering people I would respect it more.

I don't act injured, and I don't have a monopoly on suffering......Far from.

Thankfully I am alive and healthy.
    Breast Cancer and all cancers Key to survival is early detection.

FREE SCREENING saves more life's than any other form.
    People will only go for screening if awareness and the Taboo's of colon,prostate,Testicular and other forms of cancer are put to bed.

However, these cancers are not media Buzz words.

"Cancer" is not just one illness. The variety is immense, and none of them are the same, which is why awareness of "cancer" is meaningless, and donations in search of a cure for the same are more so. It makes sense to specify, and yes, more needs to be done in pursuit of cancers like those of the colon and prostate, but that doesn't mean that when someone acts in support of breast cancer research that they're doing something less worthy.

I never said less worthy causes

I just asked why not raise money for there "Target market" men's health issues.

But since they will not sell them shells over here it's academic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

tack you are tactless

the whole idea about this is to raise awareness of breast cancer doing something that is different ie PINK SHELLS what would you like to see blue ones well that is different isn't it the pink as im sure you are aware is linked to the breast cancer issue so anyone who is seen using PINK SHELLS brings attention to the issue as folk will ask why they are using PINK SHELLS

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

This appears to be a silly points-scoring contest, so surely I should get more points since I've actually had cancer? :rolleyes:

I particularly dislike a lot of these "raise awareness" campaigns. They smell too much like PR campaigns by the makers of the associated products. Does anyone know how much of the purchase price of these pink shells goes to breast cancer research versus how much the company takes in profit? Does anyone know the same answer for Ballygowan Pink?

If you feel strongly about a particular cause - any cause - then give your time or money directly to the people working on it. Rather than give a few cent for every shell you fire, send as much as you can afford directly to an appropriate organisation. If you don't have money to spare you can do as much, if not more, by donating your time. Even something small can help. Next time one of your friends or family complains about their health, persuade them to go to a doctor rather than let them say "ah, sure it'll be grand"*.

If you want to support "raise awareness"-style campaigns, fair enough, but don't kid yourself into thinking that that's enough. If you really care about a given cause, you need to give your time and/or money in much bigger quantities than these campaigns allow.

* This is exactly how I was diagnosed extremely early, something which made the treatment a hell of a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Raising awareness is far beyond pointless

Finding a cure through research is far from pointless.

If Federal said they had donated X amount to Cancer research, or home help for Terminally ill, or suffering people I would respect it more.

I don't act injured, and I don't have a monopoly on suffering......Far from.

Thankfully I am alive and healthy.
    Breast Cancer and all cancers Key to survival is early detection.

FREE SCREENING saves more life's than any other form.
    People will only go for screening if awareness and the Taboo's of colon,prostate,Testicular and other forms of cancer are put to bed.

However, these cancers are not media Buzz words.

I (sort of) see Tack’s general point, probably because he is even more cynical than I. Many campaigns that are based on ‘pink badge’ or ‘coloured flower’ are simply an exercise by organizers to gain some positive PR for themselves, to raise their own profile in the media and at the end of the line is a very small amount of cash for the ‘cause.’
    I also share the view that the bulk of charities today need to be more focussed on the requirements of the end-user, not the charity administrators. I find it obscene that executives running charities are being paid several multiples of the minimum wage. (Don't know about Ireland, but in the UK it is averaging €100k) Charity should come before personal enrichment. And I do not buy their line that ‘we need to pay big salaries to hire the right people.’
    Tack is correct in his reference to AIDS; fundraising for that cause was a no-no because of the social connotations – it remains so today, which is why those who cannot break into ‘socially elite’ charities are its main fundraisers. It is why museums, art galleries, etc., have the wives of big business, while AIDS charities are the preserve of popstars and footballers’ wives. Charity is now a big business industry, it is getting bigger and a growing number of them are fighting for a smaller slice of cake. Sadly the methods developed in the US are now becoming commonplace here.
    People should question what funds go where, and charities should be more forthcoming with their admin and fundraising costs.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

While I understand what your saying Tackle, that breast cancer is like the super PR buzz term for cancer awareness (because lets face it, it is), I still wouldn't mind buying some of the shells simply because I'm going to be shooting anyway, I might as well donate some of the money to something that may help someone.

I also wouldn't mind seeing brown shells for prostate cancer...ehe.

Advertisement