Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRM Software Suggestions Please

Options
  • 12-04-2011 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm considering implementing crm software system.
    This is my business: http://www.tradeshutters.ie
    We're a small operation. Just one dedicated sales rep. But as we grow I'd like to have the basis in place. Basically, I'm office bound, she's on the road. I make her appointments.

So what am I looking for....

Something easy to use - First & foremost. It doesn't need to do everything. Just do the basics well.

Free would be nice

Both myself and the rep use iphones, an app or some integration would be convenient.

Most of our jobs are domestic homes & one-off. [We don't have customer accounts per say.]

I'd like to keep a record of everybody we do work for, quote for, even someone who makes a single enquiry.

A map system might be nice. If the rep is headed to Galway, I can see at a glance who is in the area or on the route. (map not absoloutely necessary)

The ability to access and update reps diaries from remote locations (i.e. a web based database - possibly integrated with with a 3rd party software such as microsoft outlook, google calendar etc.)

We use Sage Quick Pay. Anybody any experience with this: https://www.sagecrm.com/

Thanks.

PS. Anybody familiar with this?
    http://www.reallysimplesystems.com/free_crm.asp
    Free for 2 users and won SSA award last year.
    Tagged:

Comments

Hi,

I have quite extensive experience in CRM implementation and configuration, i've worked for several of major players in CRM, and designed and implemented systems for hundreds of companies large and small.

In terms of declaration, i have no financial incentive for recommending this, but hands down the best CRM i have used in terms of flexibility, value, and ease of use is salesforce.com. Their top end systems are expensive in terms of license price, but offer huge value if you're using them to their capability and haven't been oversold on your needs, but they also have 5 user skimmed down versions or even a free 1 user version that they keep pretty much under wraps (this info is as of about 18 months ago, not sure, but it should still be valid.

I would recommend their team edition 5 user product for you. It's all online, easy to configure, and will do everything you need from lead management, to sales opportunities and reporting and more, and if you get it right from the get go, you can expand it as the business grows and everybody across the company is on the same system, or, most likely for you, you'll just be able to keep an eye on a handful of staff you bring in over the next few years and their leads and deals, and what they're up to regarding targets, quotas, workrates, etc. If the company gets even bigger, then Sales can see what support are doing, marketing and sales are on the same page, and you can limit any of it, and see what you need from any of it in easy to manage and easy to change reports. (and that's easy to change from a NON-tecchy point of view).

I would either recommend spending some time online learning how to config it or read a few books, or get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you for a nixer. Consultancy costs will double the price even for a days work and will make it pointless, but make sure it's customised for your needs, don't just buy it and expect it to solve all your problems, 9 out of ten crm systems that aren't set up properly will fall by the wayside. Customise the bits you need, hide the bits you don't, and come back and review your use of it every now and again.

Best bit of it for a small business though is, no headaches. Just pay the annual fee and you log on via any web browser or mobile device out of the box, they manage all the servers and upgrades and all the hassle in the background and you just use it.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭afishyfish

Thanks for that Mack.
    I appreciate you taking the time. I'll look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

afishyfish wrote: »
    Thanks for that Mack.

or checkout sagecrm.com - similar to salesforce.com - I believe they have an iPhone app and also the CRM division is HQ'd in Ireland :)

afishyfish wrote: »
    Thanks for that Mack.

no problem, would post more but i'm working at the mo. If there are any other specific questions i'll be happy to help if i can.

FYI, other popular options in that space are sage crm online, and i think MS do an online version of their dynamics software too. For your purposes, i would definitely go with a cloud based (on-demand) crm, you don't want the expense or hassle of managing your own solution in house at the stage your business is at. Lots of people like sage, it depends what's right for you, but i'd steer clear of MS, they were late to the cloud party and from what i know their strategy is to get you bought into the cloud model and switch you over as your business grows. Their in-house based CRM systems have a reputation for turning into money pits.

In terms of 100% free systems, sugar CRM is probably the best out there in terms of functionality, but it's less intuitive both to use and to config. Tweaking a system to suit as a new business need comes up is crucial to the long term success and usability of it, and the sugar business model (commercial open source) is to give away the software for free and charge for the expertese to set it up and to tweak it for you. Your business processes will probably be different in 24 months to what they are now, you don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg to keep your CRM up to speed with them, and likewise you don't want your CRM to become irrelevant to what you're doing as things change.

Once again, if you can get over the price premium they charge, in terms of flexibility, ease of use to an average non-techhy person, ease of changing stuff around, and potential value for the business in terms of all the info being in one place, and accessible online, SFDC is hard to beat. If you're talking to them though, just make sure they pitch you the right system for your needs, not for their pockets.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Here's another based in galway.

http://www.onepagecrm.com/

• Advertisement

lion_bar wrote: »
    Here's another based in galway.

http://www.onepagecrm.com/

Just some advice re small local providers or small business cloud vendors. This is no reflection on onepagecrm in particular, but be VERY careful about signing up to unknown small operator cloud services. I'm not saying don't do it, but go in with your eyes open if you do, and understand what "cloud" means. The infrastructure to provide a cloud software as a service (SAAS) offerings like CRM is so accessible nowadays that you could literally be putting your valuable, confidential business info on a bottom end server in a small back office that's being managed remotely from an apartment somewhere by a 20 year old FAS IT apprentice (i kid you not, i have seen this done with my own eyes).

Your data and your relationships with your customers are both crucial to your business, so whoever you engage with make sure that they can show you references that verify that your info is completely inaccessible except by your nominated parties, is safe, and crucially, is properly backed up according to industry norms. You wouldn't give your cash to a bank you never heard of without checking them out first, why take that risk with your data?

The benefits of cloud are not just about your data being somewhere else on the net, other than your own PC or server. License pricing will always be an issue in deciding on a cloud service, but the idea with the best cloud offerings (the large "multi-tenant" systems) is that you get a tiny corner of a very large powerful, pysically and technologically secure and well managed data centre somewhere that's had a lot of investment from a company with deep pockets. You pay a tiny portion of the cost of keeping it going as a subscription fee or whatever for your few licenses, but your data is just as secure as a major multinational company with thousands of licenses data would be, because it's in the same physical location under the same stringent security that big companies demand/require. You also get the benefit of any new innovations or improvements to the system that are made, same as they do, because you're all on the same system and no differentiation is made between you both.

make the right decision for your business, but don't miss out on many of the real benefits of cloud systems because you wanted to save a few quid a year, this really is one of these areas in business where if you do it the right way it will pay dividends over just doing it the cheap way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gosmic

@MackDaddi

If you have a look, you'll see that OnePageCRM is hosted on the same infrastructure as all the major SaaS CRM offerings... http://www.onepagecrm.com/blog/?p=241

gosmic wrote: »
    @MackDaddi

If you have a look, you'll see that OnePageCRM is hosted on the same infrastructure as all the major SaaS CRM offerings... http://www.onepagecrm.com/blog/?p=241

Once again, my advice is/was not in relation to any specific provider and onepage might be the right option depending on the OP's needs, but the key thing in evaluating cloud offerings is just make sure you can separate the safe, reliable infrastructurally sound ones from the rest before you decide.

Also, while data hosting is important it's not the whole picture. Who has access to your data could depend on how safety conscious and security aware your cloud partner is, irrespective of THEIR hosting partner, and depending on your choice of CRM vendor, those may not be the same company. Your data could sit on a massively secure oracle stack in a secure DC somewhere, and be managed for you by an immature startup down the road who could put your data security at risk easily with inaudited security practices, password handling, etc. I've seen this kind of thing happen more than once, but unless you know what to look for from a vendor, it's hard to spot.

Looking for independent certifications like Sas 70 SOX compliance, or other internationally regarded audit standards from the CRM vendor themselves is a good idea, it just gives you a bit of peace of mind that you're not just dealing with a CRM with a nice front-end but nothing underneath keeping your data safe. You want to be confident that the WHOLE operation is secure, whether it's all under one roof, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

I am using onepagecrm in my (small) business at the moment. Find it very good. It's worth a look.

Advertisement