Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraying around privet hedge

Options
  • 12-04-2011 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

I recently planted around 200 bare root privet plants. These are all doing nicely but I have a problem with grass and weeds groing around and through them. Is it safe to spray the grass and weeds or will that kill the privet also? If I can spray what spray should I use?

Thanks.
    Mossie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Don't know but I would imagine it is a bad idea. Best bet would be to clear the grass etc once and then mulch around the base to supress future weeds. Give it a good watering first. Mulching helps with water retention too. If you use well-rotted garden compost it will double as a nice slow feed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Once they have a leaf on them you will kill them off. You could do it by hand and clear under each one or wait till winter then spray and mulch but make sure all leaves have fallen first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭mossie

Thanks guys. You've been most helpful

Advertisement