Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Of Tanks live today (PC only)

Options
  • 12-04-2011 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up if anyone didnt hear that the MMO World of Tanks is out of Beta today and is free to play

so head on over to http://game.worldoftanks.eu/ and download the client and join in tonight

you wont regret it but maybe your other half will as its very addictive :cool:

if you have any questions try the World of Tanks thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

class, I'll be there :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Download the client as early as possible, which means now.

Spear wrote: »
    Download the client as early as possible, which means now.

in work :( wont be home for 2-3 hours

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,624 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a MMO, but with just tanks scooting around the battlefield right? So there's absolutely no infantry / NPCs in this game? That would feel a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Looks cool, but since Its free to play, is there micro-payments etc?

Which basically means feck all upgrades etc unless you pay?

Or is it just free?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Korvanica wrote: »
    Its free to play, so is there micro-payments etc?

There's an option to pay real money for access to extras such as premium tanks (usually rare or odd ones), better shells etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I really tried to get into this but i wasnt impressed in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's a MMO, but with just tanks scooting around the battlefield right? So there's absolutely no infantry / NPCs in this game? That would feel a bit odd.

yep its an arcade simulator, the lower tiers are great fun but it gets much harder at higher tiers, it plays like the tanks in BF2. Yeah no infantry, only tanks from 1939-1954
    Dcully wrote: »
    I really tried to get into this but i wasnt impressed in the slightest.

give it another shot ;)

Korvanica wrote: »
    Looks cool, but since Its free to play, is there micro-payments etc

you can buy Gold with real money (€7ish for a month) and that will allow you to play premium (50% more Exp & Credits per battle) you can also buy gold ammo which will give you higher penetration (not worth it though)

but you can play without spending a penny and still be very competitive, you will just be slower grinding for your upgrades

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Was in the closed beta. Thought it was good fun! Very strategic movements required or ye be fecked!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's very addictive at first but (for me) all tanks just feel the same. As I've said a few times the entire point to playing an MMO is that you have a sense of ownership etc with your char but in WoT it's just a bunch of samey tanks driving about and the grind gets stale quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,624 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seems that the idea of a MMO / persistent ww2 game has never taken off. Join a side, and wage war across the frontlines; it would be an interesting & fairly epic idea. World of Tanks would probably benefit from some of that broader scope

just an FYI for others having 0 luck getting this going (like myself until a couple of mins ago), and just getting completely useless 'Invalid username / password' messages when trying to log in via the client.. make sure you have the EU version of it, and that the login servers are up

I registered on the eu site, but got the us client, which caused a whole mess of head scratching - as the difference isnt mentioned anywhere, and theres seperate login servers for both servers.

downloading the eu client now.. ¬.¬

off to a great start this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Tried this out myself last night and have to say I'm hooked :D It's brilliant ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Seems that the idea of a MMO / persistent ww2 game has never taken off. Join a side, and wage war across the frontlines; it would be an interesting & fairly epic idea. World of Tanks would probably benefit from some of that broader scope

Isnt that what this game is ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_Online

Spunge wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that game. Mostly self-induced forgetfulness, as it was a terrible experience. The game had a massive learning curve, a fairly clunky UI and terrible GFX. A shame because the idea itself was fairly exciting (even the scenario was unique among ww2 games).

So I installed the World of Tanks beta and my first impression was that it was indeed a BETA; my rig is no slow-poke, but the frame-rate's awful despite being a fairly mundane looking game. My second impression is .... GRINNNNNNNND.

Ah yes, this is a MMO of course; god forbid you let people just jump in and have fun with an exciting array of weapons.
    NO!
    You must have fun approximately 24,176 times before you can upgrade your armoured-tractor to the next tank up (that would be the armoured-tractor with go-faster stripes).

Plus the game could really do with some different modes if you're going to restrict players to just tanks. Even a bit more terrain destructabilty might make things more interesting. As it stands, the endless Deathmatch games (not even team based) get very repetitive very quickly. I'm sure there's some scope for more interesting gametypes; even something like a control-point map would be better. Or include some NPC soldiers to liven the battlefield up.

So for the moment, it feels like a gimmick rather than a game worth sticking with.

So for the moment, it feels like a gimmick rather than a game worth sticking with.

maybe so, but give another shot you might be presently surprised,

you know you want to

as missus Doyle said

go on go on go on

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone still playing this. Just got it, through like 60 games. Still dunno what I think.

You mean other than the dozens of us regularly playing in the B-IE clan?

Anyone still playing this. Just got it, through like 60 games. Still dunno what I think.

there is a dedicated thread here

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's not a bad game, but I'm not even remotely interested in the grinding necessary to play it. I got myself up to a Russian KV (basic entry level heavy tank) and it was such a profoundly un-enjoyable chore, I've almost completely stopped playing it. On the other hand, I still get a lot of enjoyment out of lower tier light tanks tearing around pinging each other so it's a real shame that there's no support for "entry level" clan wars. I have far too many far more enjoyable games to be playing (not to mention a flippin' life! :D) to want to waste my time grinding to an IS-7. Grind is one of the main reasons I don't play MMOs - any game that feels like a job is not a game I want to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pushing up german SPGs atm. Might join some games when I've gotten my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,331 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The North American server group is optimized for users in the North American region and Australia. We encourage you to choose the North American server group instead!
    Screw you! No tank battles ever took place in NA.

Advertisement