Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthrax album delayed yet again.

Options
  • 12-04-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

:mad:Seems that the new album that was originally due out in 2009 has been put back further in terms if a release.

Good old Belladonna is yet again the cause of the delay. The album was redone with him on vocals with some new songs etc recorded with it pretty much finished in Febuary.

Now Noisecreep have reported that Belladonna wants to go back and re record his vocals yet again.:rolleyes:

Smacks of the same crap he pulled the first time he came back to the band, when he claimed he was back and willing to record new music. John Bush got screwed over at that time and then Diva Belladonna went back on hios word and said he had no interest in doing anything new.

So then Anthrax got Dan Nelson in and recored a new album with him and that went belly up. John Bush came back for the live shows and said he would be interested in recording a full new album rather than just singing the Dan Nelson lyrics.

Then Belladonna came sniffing around again with the talk first started of a money spinning Big Four reunion, and he was back with his talk of loving the idea of releasing something new with Anthrax.

Bush got shafted again with a statement given that he wanted to record new stuff rather than just sing over Dan Nelson's lyrics.

Since then Bush has released a new album with Armored Saint, and Anthrax are back where they started with the new album put on hold yet again after Belladonna stalls the project yet again.

Maybe Belladonna does not fancy any new album with his current vocals on it being compared to the John Bush vocals that came before him seeing as he struggles to sing the John Bush stuff live and a lot of that era has been dropped from their live sets as a result, or maybe he is just a money grabbing type.

Biggest mistake Anthrax ever made was to shaft John Bush.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Probably my favourite band during my teens, they slowly drifted away from their way of making (good) music having (a lot of) fun.

Belladonna can't sing full stop.

That said I think the last decent thrash album by Anthrax was released when Belladonna was the official "singer", I'm actually looking forward to see him back and see what they are capable of with the old formation.

169_photo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

darconio wrote: »
    Probably my favourite band during my teens, they slowly drifted away from their way of making (good) music having (a lot of) fun.

Belladonna can't sing full stop.

That said I think the last decent thrash album by Anthrax was released when Belladonna was the official "singer", I'm actually looking forward to see him back and see what they are capable of with the old formation.

169_photo.jpg

Have a feeling that we will never hear new material for as long as he is with the band. Would not surprise me that come the summer that he leaves for the third time after having promised to be willing to record new material.

Funny that you mention Belladonna being the singer on their last decent thrash album. I have been having a bit of an Anthrax day today, and it could be argued that Among The Living, the recent remastered reissue sounds righteous btw, was their last thrash metal album with Belladonna.

State Of Euphoria is bit lighter and generally of a slower pace.

Persistence Of Time is not faster, and certainly not heavier that the excellent John Bush fronted Sound Of White Noise which followed it.

I think that although they were not Thrash metal that a case could be made for some of the John Bush albums being some of the best and strongest of Anthrax has released to date.

Charlie Benante's drumming, which was always excellent, seemed to go up a few notches between Sound Of White Noise and We Have Come For You All . Plus Bush is such a better rock/metal singer than Belladonna that he sounded just right and added another dimension to the band's sound. The fact he was able to sing the music from the Belladonna days with ease was a massive bonus.

I guess that as someone that loves Anthrax I am a bit p1ssed at yet another setback in getting a studio album out. The last studio album was WHCFYA in 2003, and there has been mentions of a new studio album that was just about to come put pretty much every two years since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

They were doing great with Bush on vocals, writing good material , and putting on great shows together, then the band sold out and shafted him for the original singer...

Now the original singer is shafting them, karma i guess:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Prefer Bush era over Joey, even though POT is a good album, SOWN is way better to my ears. I prefer Bush's vocals, they don't sound as "dated".....

The armoured saint album ain't too shabby either....

seachto7 wrote: »
    Prefer Bush era over Joey, even though POT is a good album, SOWN is way better to my ears. I prefer Bush's vocals, they don't sound as "dated".....

The armoured saint album ain't too shabby either....

Yeah Armored Saint have a number of good albums. Symbol Of Salvation is, for me, their stand out album, and an strong indication of the influence Bush had on the sound of Anthrax when he joined them.

I can remember getting March Of The Saint on cassette in 1984, and thinking that this band are going to be huge. MOTS still sounds good and the remastered version that came some years back out really gave it a kick.

Armored Saint were a handy band for Anthrax as well though. Not only did they give Anthrax John Bush, they also gave Anthrax Joey Vera when Frank Bello left.

Talk about losing one excellent bassist only to gain another excellent bassist who just happened to be a great songwriter and very talented with other instruments as well.

The also got Armored Saint's producer, Dave Jerden, to produce Sound Of White Noise.

The worst thing for Anthrax is that they had gotten some musical momentum back when they released We Have Come For You All in 2003, and between them screwing John Bush twice, Dan Nelson once, and with it now starting to look like Belladonna is screwing them for a second time, that any momentum or flow from that album is well lost some 8 years and counting later.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    The worst thing for Anthrax is that they had gotten some musical momentum back when they released We Have Come For You All in 2003, and between them screwing John Bush twice, Dan Nelson once, and with it now starting to look like Belladonna is screwing them for a second time, that any momentum or flow from that album is well lost some 8 years and counting later.

Totally agree. They seemed to be on a roll and built up a lot of steam after WHCFYA. Anyone who has seen the dvd Music for Mass Destruction can see they were on good form live. I went to see them around then in Dublin, but Joey Vera was on bass. If they had followed up with another album after that instead of shafting Bush at the time, who knows what could have happened, they could have gotten a second wind...But I they screwed up royally back then. I wouldn't be too bothered about hearing anything by them again....

Totally agree. They seemed to be on a roll and built up a lot of steam after WHCFYA. Anyone who has seen the dvd Music for Mass Destruction can see they were on good form live. I went to see them around then in Dublin, but Joey Vera was on bass. If they had followed up with another album after that instead of shafting Bush at the time, who knows what could have happened, they could have gotten a second wind...But I they screwed up royally back then. I wouldn't be too bothered about hearing anything by them again....

I will be curious to hear what they release next, but the longer it takes and the more that Belladonna gets his way, the less interested I will become.

I have a feeling that if Belladonna gets his way, that an album will come out maybe next year that would sound about 25 years old on the day it was released.

I heard him sing Only (generally the only song from the Bush era that gets played live on a regular basis since Belladonna came back) at two seperate gigs, and he struggles on it. From what snippets of gossip get out, he is meant to be refusing to sing songs from the John Bush albums, and pretty much wants to stick with material up as far as Persistence Of Time.

So basically the band are stuck in 1990 if they stick with Belladonna. Whereas with John Bush onboard they had a singer who could sing anything from the Turbin, Belladonna or his own albums.

Thing is , no matter what they bring out, I dunno if I'll be able to listen to it without thinking of what has happened the last 10 years.......not sure if I could take it seriously....

Thing is , no matter what they bring out, I dunno if I'll be able to listen to it without thinking of what has happened the last 10 years.......not sure if I could take it seriously....

What if it was as good an album compared to the last one as Sound Of White Noise was to Persistence Of Time?

I really think they have to come out with an album that is as good as SOWN, regardless of musical style or genre, in order to regain some credibility.

I think they only way they could top SOWN is doing an album with John Bush. WHCFYA was pretty strong, though not as good as SOWN to me anyways.
    Listened to Volume 8 last night. I had not heard it in a while. some good stuff on there too.....
    Not sure if I would like an album with Joey on vocals again, but if I were to be proved wrong.......

• Advertisement

I think they only way they could top SOWN is doing an album with John Bush. WHCFYA was pretty strong, though not as good as SOWN to me anyways.
    Listened to Volume 8 last night. I had not heard it in a while. some good stuff on there too.....
    Not sure if I would like an album with Joey on vocals again, but if I were to be proved wrong.......

My gut tells me that Belladonna will walk again.

Or rather that there is more chance of that happening than there is of him sining on new material.

The guy has been a total ass with regards to the band for the last 20 years.

He left after POT because he did not want to expand on the band's sound.

He agreed to come back for the two singer tour, then cancelled at the last minute and then pecked away behind the scenes until Bush got shafted.

Then he was given the job back and went on about how he was up for a new album and he spun that line for a while until it was time to record new material, and he legges it.

Dan Nelson came in and recorded a new album and left. Then the managed to get Bush back and were looking towards that new album, and back comes Belladonna when the dollar signs were popping up as the Big Four tour was being spoken about.

And now when we are back in new album waters, there is Belladonna cauing the shyte again.

I just wish the guy would feck off and get a band of session musicians to become an Anthrax tribute band with him, because all he wants to do is sing the old stuff and nothing else.

I am repeating a lot of what I said already in the thread, but Belladonna is p1ssing me off big time.:D

can you imagine the big 4 gig with Bush on vocals.... :cool::cool:

didn't he audition or wasn't he approached way back in the early days for potentially being Metallica's frontman?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Nothing suprises me with Cashthrax any more. Lost an awful ot of respect for them after they screwed John Bush over.

can you imagine the big 4 gig with Bush on vocals.... :cool::cool:

didn't he audition or wasn't he approached way back in the early days for potentially being Metallica's frontman?

He was approached twice (before Kill Em All and before Ride The Lightning) to be their vocalist and said no twice as he wanted to stick it out with Armored Saint. Metallica (James in particular) were looking to become a five piece.

Joey Vera (Armored Saint and ex Anthrax Bassist) was also twice asked if he would be interested in joining Metallica.

Having heard John Bush sing a few Metallica tracks with Anthrax (along with Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy and other covers), it is pretty easy to imagine him singing with them.

Most of what he sang was from Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets , and he was well able to compliment those songs with his voice.

Gotta say I loved his Maiden covers as well, mostly from the first two Maiden albums.

wasn't it "remember tomorrow" Anthrax covered with Bush. Great version.

wasn't it "remember tomorrow" Anthrax covered with Bush. Great version.

Yeah Remember Tomorrow is the B side on the Black Lodge single.

But they have also played Prowler, Killers, and Phantom Of The Opera when Bush was with them.

Fade To Black, Battery, and Sanitarium are three of the Metallica covers they played every now and again whilst Bush was there.

During Dan Nelson's brief time gigging with them, they added some Pantera covers to the setlist. Walk is a defo, and I think F*cking Hostile was another.

The album, Worship Music, is supposedly completed finished now.

With an August or September release date. Let's see if this actually comes out or gets pushed back yet again just like it did in 2009 and 2010.

Will also be interesting to see if any of the tracks from the album that they played live when Dan Nelson was onboard remain as heavy and aggressive now that Belladonna is singing.

Down Goes The Sun and Fight 'em 'til You Can't sounded as heavy as hell when played a couple of years back. There was a real Pantera circa Vulgar crossed with Sound Of White Noise era Anthrax vibe to the tunes.

But the version of the latter song with Joey singing on it last year sounded very watered down.

Advertisement