Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Janelle Monae in Dublin / Cork / Galway

Options
  • 12-04-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Tickets for Dublin going up 9 am tomorrow, Cork on Friday and Galway some time later it seems. The only decision is how many to go to...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ugh.Im.Clashing

Go to them all!! That's what I'm planning! Bought an early bird ticket on the Róisín Dubh website yesterday, €32.10 including the booking fee.

Seen her four times already, they'll be sick of the sight of me by the end of it!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I'm in, have not seen her before so looking forward to this ....

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

Her two gigs at the picnic were a highlight for me last year. Will def be going to the Roisin gig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Got my tickets in post this morning for Cork.
    Good ol' tickets.ie, they're always super fast & for 2 tickets it worked out about €7 cheaper than what ticketmaster would be.
    Looking forward to it, she was very good at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Got my tickets in post this morning for Cork.
    Good ol' tickets.ie, they're always super fast & for 2 tickets it worked out about €7 cheaper than what ticketmaster would be.
    Looking forward to it, she was very good at EP.

****e. I bought mine for Cork on ticketbastards. Never thought of tickets.ie. Ah well, I got tickets, that's the main thing. can't wait:D

• Advertisement

Just in case someone would be interested but hasn't heard yet :D:
    Janelle will be offering a Meet & Greet upgrade for her fans that have already purchased a ticket to the shows below. Upgrades are available for purchase now and include:

- Access to a Meet & Greet with Janelle Monae
    - A Best Of Janelle Monae "Fandroid" Digital EP
    - A signed, Exclusive Janelle Monae Poster
    - A Commemorative VIP Laminate

**Note – you must already have purchased a ticket to the show in order to qualify to purchase an upgrade.

To purchase a VIP upgrade for any of the shows below, please visit ArtistArena.com/JanelleMonae

Monday - 6/27/2011
    Black Box
    Galway, GW

Tuesday - 6/28/2011 Tripod
    Dublin, DB

Wednesday - 6/29/2011
    The Savoy
    Cork, CK

http://www.jmonae.com/blog/353287-upgrade-to-meet-janelle/

It's €30 for the upgrade and if you get two, they add on a convenience fee of €3. So excited now :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I thought they were pulling the piss when the MC mentioned this before I saw her play last year.

Sure why not, I'm all for artists trying to make a decent living out of alternative revenue streams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I thought they were pulling the piss when the MC mentioned this before I saw her play last year.

Sure why not, I'm all for artists trying to make a decent living out of alternative revenue streams.

I'd feel the same - fair play to her for making a few extra bucks, would not be my cup of tea, seems kind of strange.

Those dates for Cork/Dublin are the wrong way round.
    Cork should be Tuesday 28th.
    I hope she turns up on the right night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Yip,
    I seen the dates are wrong also, wonder if it'll cause a problem with the passes... anyone else bought them?

• Advertisement

I'm going to the 3 dates so I got a M&G upgrade for the Galway and Dublin dates (don't judge me, I just do things and then regret them afterwards, LOL :P).

The official website and Facebook page have the correct dates, I'd say she'll turn up at the right times. Otherwise I'm screwed 'cause I'm travelling by myself to places I haven't been to in years and don't deal well with sudden changes :(

Edit: I spoke too soon. They've corrected the dates now. I don't know now if the packages bought yesterday will follow the date or the venue they were purchased for :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Have seen her 3 times and going to Tripod.

Her show was amazing at Glastonbury, up another level, she's been trending on twitter both here and in the UK since.

Tightrope if you missed it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBeAwmow1eA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

After seeing her twice within the space of 2 months last summer I decided I wouldn't go see her until she expander her live set up.

Judging on that Glastonbury performance I may have to check her out again.

Will be interested to see what set up she has at these small Irish dates.

I got my ticket the day they were released & have been looking forward to it since but even more so now after seeing the Glastonbury performance.
    I seen her at Electric Picnic last year & she had less performers on stage with her then, so it looks like her show has moved up another level.
    I do hope that her current tour is the same as the show she put on at Glastonbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭aas

People are selling tickets for the Tripod one for under face value on toutless at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

Glastonbury performance was amazing. Really looking forward to tonight now.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

She was beyond incredible in the Black Box, Galway last night, she had the place rocking and it seemed that everyone there was blown away... Theres been a major step up from last years shows in terms of presentation and a beefed up sound courtesy of the string and brass sections and fantastic backing singers!

Im considering going to Dublin and trying to get into tomorrow nights show, she was that good... although I doubt the Dublin crowd will go as mental as Galway did!

Was at the Cork gig last night. It was great.
    Would of liked her to play Wondaland. One of her best songs. Other than that, it really was top notch.

Anyone that got the upgrade tickets, how did you get on at the meet & greet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Gig was amazing last night, if a little short - she's changed some of cover versions she was doing and took on Prince, Stevie Wonder and Jackson 5. A lot of the usual Dublin poseurs in the crowd unfortunately which took the atmos down a notch for me so I'll stick to London to hear her next time me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Was at the Cork gig last night. It was great.
    Would of liked her to play Wondaland. One of her best songs. Other than that, it really was top notch.

I was surprised that she didn't play Wondaland too :confused: I thought for sure it would be the encore.

Had to laugh at the "Monae, Monae" chanting to the theme of Ole! :rolleyes: What a gig though, amazing performer and entourage!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I wouldn't have known she was playing (shame on me) so thanks for starting this thread. The show last night was incredible. Loved it.

I don't know what to say, I don't think I could ever tire of seeing her perform. Made all three so my Janelle Monáe gig count is now at 7 :D. They're all just so great!

The Galway M&G was just me and two other people. They brought us in to part of the soundcheck and then when the band was still playing she came out to meet us. It was kind of awkward with the noise in the background, had to practically shout for her to hear. She was so nice though, even when I turned into a bumbling wreck! Then in Dublin there was 10 of us but it was so much better not feeling like we were interrupting them rehearsing. She gave a little speech telling us how much she appreciated all the support of her fans and all that so it was really nice.
    I just hope they don't think I'm a stalker or anything, I'm just kind of...devoted :o

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

A lot of the usual Dublin poseurs in the crowd unfortunately which took the atmos down a notch for me so I'll stick to London to hear her next time me thinks.

I found that the last time she played Tripod, lots of people standing there looking bored out of their minds, too "cool" to show any form of enjoyment and giving you filthies for daring to dance or cheer... Its the same for so many potentially great gigs in Dublin these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I was at Tripod last night and was just blown away by Janelle and the band, she just sort of transports you out of your life for the 1 hour and 20 minutes or so. Everyone crouching down on the floor and then jumping up was really special.
    They just seem to be having so much fun too.

Fair play to Janelle for her professionalism putting on such great shows after the highs of Glastonbury. I felt like a cast member in Beetlejuice the way she had the crowd interacting for Dance or Die!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Special Red

Was at the Cork gig and was blow away by the performance. The crowd really got involved and it was the best gig I've been at in years. Saw her performance at Glastonbury and couldn't believe my luck when I scored free tickets for the gig on Tuesday. Great performer, great set, well worth the last ditch effort to get a babysitter in so we could head out on a 'date' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

gutted I missed this.
    Saw her on glasto and she looked amazing, hadn't heard of her before.
    Will defo check her out the next time she plays.
    Anyone any vids from the gig?
    Cheers.

Advertisement