Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cratloe Rapists are they all out on early release?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

And arrogant little shltes they are too, every one of them a candidate for a Degree in Criminals' Rights & Entiltlements.

Meanwhile I see the chief of LK Regeneration, Mr. Kenny, is being touted as the new head-honcho of the combined City/County Authority.

Some reward for him, as far as I'm concerned Regeneration has spread the scumbag disease right across the city and county. Of course not everyone in Southill and Moyross were undesireables, however if memory serves, ReGen promised no criminal elements would be re-located to other districts or indeed to Newport or Murroe etc..

Any wonder the Cratloe Rapists and their kind can rule the roost where they live. Weston is now a hole with "hard-men" of ten yrs of age running wild and uncontrolled. With the spread of scum, those once quiet areas are now fast becoming as no-go as the ghettos of OMP, Keyes, Moyross or the Island are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Tralee is getting as bad. There has been a family feud going on for years, with slash hooks and shotguns being confiscated by the guards, who in fairness arrest them immediately.

They have been to court on numerous occasions, with the armed regional support unit having to guard the court to keep the familys apart.

Suspended sentences all around.

Last week they attacked each other with iron bars in the middle of the street, in front of a funeral home, where inside some poor innocent family were in the middle of the removal of there loved one.

They get brought to Tralee court,held on bail. Go to the high court a few days later and surprise surprise they all get released again.

The amount of money these losers are costing the tax payer is scandolous. This justice system in this country is a f***ing disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Speaking of Tralee. Remember a few months back a sales rep was stopped for not displaying tax in Tralee. He lived in Dublin so two days later presented the disc in Dublin but the Garda never put it on the system.

He was summonsed to court and he didn't get the letter(standard excuse) so an arrest warrant was issued. He was arrested in Dublin on Saturday morning and was to be brought to Tralee in a prison van but they said "Court won't be in session till Monday". He was put in MOUNTJOY prison for 2 nights and taken early Monday morning on the long drive to Tralee courthouse where the Judge went bananas and threw the case out because:

He HAD Motor Tax
    It cost the state €20,000+ to bring him to court

Moral: The system is a complete joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Speaking of Tralee. Remember a few months back a sales rep was stopped for not displaying tax in Tralee. He lived in Dublin so two days later presented the disc in Dublin but the Garda never put it on the system.

He was summonsed to court and he didn't get the letter(standard excuse) so an arrest warrant was issued. He was arrested in Dublin on Saturday morning and was to be brought to Tralee in a prison van but they said "Court won't be in session till Monday". He was put in MOUNTJOY prison for 2 nights and taken early Monday morning on the long drive to Tralee courthouse where the Judge went bananas and threw the case out because:

He HAD Motor Tax
    It cost the state €20,000+ to bring him to court

Moral: The system is a complete joke.

So basically the guy was falsely imprisoned due to a Garda error/incompetence. What a sick joke. Great how they can arrest someone and bang them into a prison quickly for a "serious" crime like having no motor tax on display, but minor crimes like assaults, robberies and worse can see folk out on the streets the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

that's f*cking insane! have you got a link for that? i that was me, I'd sue for wrongful arrest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Don't know why the State didn't object to granting of bail to this guy...

Dean Barry of Garryglass has 47 previous convictions including that gang rape:

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/3702-case-adjourned-pending-directions-of-dpp.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

baldbear wrote: »
    One of them got 20 years i think so he couldn't be out. All the teens are out though.

Thats Stephen Wiggy Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

gaf1983 wrote: »

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/3702-case-adjourned-pending-directions-of-dpp.html

Filth. Deserves a bullet in the face. Or at least have the decency to jump off Shannon bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

It always shocks me how some people area allowed to rack up 20+ convictions but are still able to walk free, yet the general public are terrified that they will be put in jail if they don't pay their tv licence or let the ESB onto their land. Madness.

In the last 3 years I've had 2 of the three houses I've lived in robbed three times, my windscreen of my car smashed in, my wing mirror broken off, my car broken into (they pealed back the passenger door!) each time the guards could pretty much tell me who it was that did it, but would I get anything back from it.. would I hell. That's me down a few grand and up a few paranoias.

The other morning at about 8:15am on my way to work I saw a young miscreant walking down Clare Street with a golf club, last I knew there were no courses in the city centre.

Crime really does pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Sister got her handbag robbed last year. Gardai told her "you don't really want to be pursuing these people any further, they're a bad bunch"
    Well, Mr Garda, how about you do your job and pursue them?????????

I know what the Garda was getting at. You stand up in court to them, and they know who you are. Limerick is too small and the scum just don't care.....

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Sister got her handbag robbed last year. Gardai told her "you don't really want to be pursuing these people any further, they're a bad bunch"

I know what the Garda was getting at. You stand up in court to them, and they know who you are. Limerick is too small and the scum just don't care.....

I got given out to by my father and mother for saying earlier that the trouble with the RSU and the ERU in the city is that they don't shoot enough scumbags....

I stand by my words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭touts

seachto7 wrote: »

If the Gardai actually crack down on these scum then the Irish Council for Criminal Liberties will be on every radio station screaming about civil liberties and government oppression. The Gardai know if they take on these guys with anything more than a mere display of force then the government won't back them when the ICCL and other criminal rights organisations leap to the defence of their mates. It has become a no win situation for the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

It always shocks me how some people area allowed to rack up 20+ convictions but are still able to walk free, yet the general public are terrified that they will be put in jail if they don't pay their tv licence or let the ESB onto their land. Madness.

In the last 3 years I've had 2 of the three houses I've lived in robbed three times, my windscreen of my car smashed in, my wing mirror broken off, my car broken into (they pealed back the passenger door!) each time the guards could pretty much tell me who it was that did it, but would I get anything back from it.. would I hell. That's me down a few grand and up a few paranoias.

The other morning at about 8:15am on my way to work I saw a young miscreant walking down Clare Street with a golf club, last I knew there were no courses in the city centre.

I've had the passenger door peel done to me twice also feckers the lot of em, look sentencing is a joke, bring in 3 strike rule, 3rd conviction = 20years, no ifs ands or buts !!!it happens in the states, saw a tv show on it and the 2 strikers before release all brought in and told look so much as spit on the street and we'll have you for 20yrs so cop on or else, time to end bleeding hearts i was abused, from a broken home etc, rack em and stack em I say

gaf1983 wrote: »

And no doubt the scummer will rack up a few more crimes between now and his next court date. The Irish legal system is spineless and an utter joke.

The guy has rape and 46 other convictions to his name at the age of 24, and is due back in court for another assualt. It is a waste of time to allow his kind to walk the streets. He has shown no remorse and no indication that he will change his ways and the only people that get punished are his victims.

Lock him up for life and be done with him as a member of society as he is a worthless individual in terms of any contribution to society based on his criminal convictions.

if the guards took a firmer line and if the judiciary copped onto the fact that the country is suffering when a serial killing rapist gets time suspended for good behaviour, then MAYBE we could try operating a decent system.

I honestly think if I was living near this guy with a family I'd buy a shotgun and sleep with it under the bed...no word of a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

people have been telling politicians and government officials for years that the system is FUBAR.

the problem is the lack of ability to do anything about it - the Gardai cant clamp down on them because Europe says its an infringement on human rights.

Personally I would like to abolish the "free legal aid" - they all seem to be on the dole so link solicitor fees to social welfare, if you are on social welfare the government will take some of the legal fees but money will be taken from your social welfare to pay for the costs (even if its only €20 per court appearance - it will soon rack up given the amount of court appearances these people make)

Change the name of the childrens court to the Juvenile Court and make it possible to name/publish images of them also, make their records in the Childrens Court available to Circuit Criminal Court if/when they are before it....if a child is a constant re-offender remove him/her from their parents control and place him/her in a bootcamp style facility where permission is given to discipline the offenders....and I dont mean physically abuse them just the odd whallop to let them know they are not going to have an easy time.

Correct them when they are young and we have a chance at correcting society !!

Also - Remove all drugs/mobile phones from prison - its not difficult to install signal jammers so a mobile phone would be useless inside the walls of a prison, Do not give prisoners access to satellite/multi channel TV ...the state broadcaster is what some of us can only afford why should they get any benefits....as for drugs in prisons - careful monitoring and extra screening (including of financial records) of staff.

Remove Gym Equipment from Prisons - if they want to work out, jog around the yard, do some press-ups etc, I don't see why we should facilitate them getting bulked up in prison it serves us no purpose.

Prison is supposed to be a punishment - some criminals have an easier life behind bars - guaranteed hot meals, a bed to sleep in every night....what more could they need.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    people have been telling politicians and government officials for years that the system is FUBAR.

the problem is the lack of ability to do anything about it - the Gardai cant clamp down on them because Europe says its an infringement on human rights.

Personally I would like to abolish the "free legal aid" - they all seem to be on the dole so link solicitor fees to social welfare, if you are on social welfare the government will take some of the legal fees but money will be taken from your social welfare to pay for the costs (even if its only €20 per court appearance - it will soon rack up given the amount of court appearances these people make)

Change the name of the childrens court to the Juvenile Court and make it possible to name/publish images of them also, make their records in the Childrens Court available to Circuit Criminal Court if/when they are before it....if a child is a constant re-offender remove him/her from their parents control and place him/her in a bootcamp style facility where permission is given to discipline the offenders....and I dont mean physically abuse them just the odd whallop to let them know they are not going to have an easy time.

Also - Remove all drugs/mobile phones from prison - its not difficult to install signal jammers so a mobile phone would be useless inside the walls of a prison, Do not give prisoners access to satellite/multi channel TV ...the state broadcaster is what some of us can only afford why should they get any benefits....as for drugs in prisons - careful monitoring and extra screening (including of financial records) of staff.

Remove Gym Equipment from Prisons - if they want to work out, jog around the yard, do some press-ups etc, I don't see why we should facilitate them getting bulked up in prison it serves us no purpose.

Prison is supposed to be a punishment - some criminals have an easier life behind bars - guaranteed hot meals, a bed to sleep in every night....what more could they need.

AGREED, what about the warden in the US who puts em in Army tents, he reckons good enough for our soldiers good enough for our prisoners

if you are gonna throw examples out from the US ...the Texan guy who has them in pink clothes working in chain gangs is also a decent example.

make them work for their time in prison - make them contribute to society (we could tell them and the Civil Rights do-gooders that its work experience so they can better integrate themselves on release)

no remission - why automatically let them out early (and I know its so they dont cause hassle for the prison officers) A jail sentence should be just that.... if you are sentenced for 15years then 15yrs after your sentence date you are released (no-back dating sentences either)

reduced social welfare for criminal convicts - why should the state support someone when they do not obide by the rules of the state ?

As for anyone in the country who is not a resident - don't even bother sending them to jail - next flight out of Ireland to their country and a 10yr ban (minimum) - and for those people who say what about the "Roma" who could come from any country .... if they hold a passport send them back to that country and you need a passport to enter the country, if their country does not exist anymore - send them back to whatever country they came from.

Similar to above - why should the state and the taxpayer pay for keeping these people in the country, we always hear complaints about how prisons are full - so send those who are not a resident home and refuse them entry for a minimum of 10years regardless of crime involved....I dont care if someone is a shoplifter or a rapist, laws exist so society can be a safe place, if people break the laws they make it unsafe for the rest of us, removing that element means the rest of us can enjoy our lives without fear.

I guess you're referencing Asylum seekers etc, I kinda of agree with that too, but, let them go thru the courts ie Innocent till proven guilty, if found guilty of a crime, sentence them then deport them and cancel any application they may have pending, prints, dna and on file all the details and sentence, if found entering the country again, serve the full sentence and deport again, make it know we're no soft touch nation, read a recent case from a canadaian newspaper and two 19 year old brothers convicted of armed robberies, appears their mother never got citizenship and they are technically illegals, once sentenced they are considering deporting them back to jamaica, no sympathy vote there, you endanger the citizens of canada and we dont want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I agree with some of your post but prison isn't supposed to be punishment. The purpose it should serve is to rehabilitate offenders so they don't offend again when they are let out. And if the hard line prison ethos you propose would prove to reduce the chance of prisoners reoffending when they get out, then I'd be all for it.

Tbh, I don't think refusing a prisoners right to do something positive like exercise would be beneficial. I'd ban television almost completely. Agree with the signal block for phones. Gangsters are running everything from their cells, it's an absolute joke. Drugs are always going to be difficult to keep out but I'm sure more could be done to stop that.

I'd introduce some sort of behavioural course that prisoners could attend which would prepare them to reintegrate themselves and function in society.

• Advertisement

But what can we do about this situation? Who do we write to saying we want change? Surely if enough people demand a reform, then the government who is suppose to represent us will have to do something about it.
    As bitching about it on the internet won't make a damned bit of difference to the criminals with 20+ convictions and the very well paid "free legal aid" solicitors (don't get me started on them, and the court system in general in this country)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

But what can we do about this situation? Who do we write to saying we want change? Surely if enough people demand a reform, then the government who is suppose to represent us will have to do something about it.
    As bitching about it on the internet won't make a damned bit of difference to the criminals with 20+ convictions and the very well paid "free legal aid" solicitors (don't get me started on them, and the court system in general in this country)
    I honestly believe that, because it doesn't affect the TDs, then it's not an issue for them. It's absolutely bizarre how we've ended up with a system that 80% of people agree is crazy and only protects the criminals (the rest are the 5% of criminals and the 15% of hippies who think they just need more love).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

constantg wrote: »
    rapist gets time suspended for good behaviour.

This scentence is a sickening oxymornon that describes the Irish justice system perfectly. It genuinly makes me ashamed to be part of a society that has created such injustice. :(

Also car thief needs to be upped to grand thief auto, not taking someone's car without permission, because if you steal someone's car you are most likely robbing their livelihood as how are they suppose to get to work with no car?

The guys who where involved in this case robbed a car, was that put on any of their sentences?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Somewhat on topic (but mostly just because I found it interesting):
    All this agrees with the whole tenor of Irish literature, whether legendary, legal, or historical, which shows the great respect the Irish entertained for justice pure and simple according to law, and their horror of unjust decisions. It was the same at the most ancient period as it was in the beginning of the seventeenth century, when Sir John Davies -an Englishman- the Irish attorney-general of James I., testified :-"For there is no nation of people under the sunne that doth love equall and indifferent [i.e. impartial] justice better then the Irish; or will rest better satisfied with the execution thereof, although it bee against themselves so as they may have the protection and benefit of the law, when uppon just cause they do desire it." But later on the Penal Laws changed all that, and turned the Irish natural love of justice into hatred and distrust of law, which in many ways continues to manifest itself to this day.

http://www.alia.ie/tirnanog/sochis/iv.html

The fact that a man who was still walking the streets whilst awaiting sentencing for an earlier crime has not been arrested for a murder should be reason enough for lawmakers to review how the law works in this country.

The pity is that they will do no such thing, and cases of people who have been caught for one crime but who were leftl on the streets and able to take a life will just continue in this country.

Shocking to think that if a man who was caught by the gardai breaking the law is now the man arrested in relation to the murder of Martin Purcell on Wickham street.

If the murder trial finds Gerard Manning guilty of killing Martin Purcell, then in my eyes it just highlights even fiurther the need to not let criminals who are awaiting sentencing for another crime committed only months earlier out on bail.

In Limerick alone this week we have a convicted rapist who has 46 other convictions to his name able to walk out on bail after yet another assault, and we have a man arrested for murder who got out on bail whilst awaiting sentencing for another crime.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The fact that a man who was still walking the streets whilst awaiting sentencing for an earlier crime has not been arrested for a murder should be reason enough for lawmakers to review how the law works in this country.

The pity is that they will do no such thing, and cases of people who have been caught for one crime but who were leftl on the streets and able to take a life will just continue in this country.

Shocking to think that if a man who was caught by the gardai breaking the law is now the man arrested in relation to the murder of Martin Purcell on Wickham street.

If the murder trial finds Gerard Manning guilty of killing Martin Purcell, then in my eyes it just highlights even fiurther the need to not let criminals who are awaiting sentencing for another crime committed only months earlier out on bail.

In Limerick alone this week we have a convicted rapist who has 46 other convictions to his name able to walk out on bail after yet another assault, and we have a man arrested for murder who got out on bail whilst awaiting sentencing for another crime.

Unfortunately according to our own and EU Law there is a presumption of innocence - so if someone is charged with something they are entitled to be released unless the gardai believe they will re-offend or are a flight risk and oppose a bail application .... there are other reasons how we can keep them inside but due to the fact that WE pay for their legal aid they get the best advice and legal counsel - so get released pending trial.

Personally I think if the Gardai and DPP have enough evidence to bring a case then the person should be held in prison - if however the Gardai and DPP are wrong there should be huge payouts for people who are locked up wrongly (unfortunately my concept breaches numerous EU laws)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭touts

Unfortunately according to our own and EU Law there is a presumption of innocence - so if someone is charged with something they are entitled to be released unless the gardai believe they will re-offend or are a flight risk and oppose a bail application .... there are other reasons how we can keep them inside but due to the fact that WE pay for their legal aid they get the best advice and legal counsel - so get released pending trial.

Personally I think if the Gardai and DPP have enough evidence to bring a case then the person should be held in prison - if however the Gardai and DPP are wrong there should be huge payouts for people who are locked up wrongly (unfortunately my concept breaches numerous EU laws)

Once the number of convictions is double the person's age I'd say the risk of re-offending should be be considered a dead cert.

true, once get bail, list as long as your arm, career crim, most likely to offend while on bail, and if on bail another crime is committed surely any previous bail applications should be a dead cert for refusal, stupid system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

if you are gonna throw examples out from the US ...the Texan guy who has them in pink clothes working in chain gangs is also a decent example.

make them work for their time in prison - make them contribute to society (we could tell them and the Civil Rights do-gooders that its work experience so they can better integrate themselves on release)

no remission - why automatically let them out early (and I know its so they dont cause hassle for the prison officers) A jail sentence should be just that.... if you are sentenced for 15years then 15yrs after your sentence date you are released (no-back dating sentences either)

reduced social welfare for criminal convicts - why should the state support someone when they do not obide by the rules of the state ?

As for anyone in the country who is not a resident - don't even bother sending them to jail - next flight out of Ireland to their country and a 10yr ban (minimum) - and for those people who say what about the "Roma" who could come from any country .... if they hold a passport send them back to that country and you need a passport to enter the country, if their country does not exist anymore - send them back to whatever country they came from.

Similar to above - why should the state and the taxpayer pay for keeping these people in the country, we always hear complaints about how prisons are full - so send those who are not a resident home and refuse them entry for a minimum of 10years regardless of crime involved....I dont care if someone is a shoplifter or a rapist, laws exist so society can be a safe place, if people break the laws they make it unsafe for the rest of us, removing that element means the rest of us can enjoy our lives without fear.

Its Arizona.

Sheriff Joe Arpiah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement