Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and Pairgain splitter

Options
  • 12-04-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

My house was built in 2005 and when I requested a phone line, eircom installed a pairgain (basically a tap off a neighbours line). As a result, I don't have my own stretch of copper wire, just a piggyback - which means no ADSL for me.

For years I've been requesting that eircom remove the pairgain and provide me with my own line so that I could recieve broadband. I live down a cul-de-sac and all of my surrounding neighbours have broadband. Last summer, I got fed up and requested a new line, and I made it clear that this line would need to be broadband enabled or else it would be no good to me. The man I spoke to on the phone, said that that should be no problem. An engineer came out to visit me (and to be frank he was very rude) and when he saw that I already had a line, he almost refused to go about providing a new line, instead saying that he would get my current line 'unbundled' - I think that's the term he used. I agreed to go along with this, but I was informed that there were new poles to be put down along my road and that work would have to be carried out first.

The new poles were put down last Winter, and a month or two after that when I still hadn't heard anything from eircom, I decided to ring them myself. I asked the man I spoke to whether the work was still scheduled to be done on my line, and he said that he would have to send an email to a different department and he would call me back within a day or two. I never heard back from him.

Last week I finally saw some eircom vans on my road with some new cable. "Finally!" I thought. However, when I asked the engineer, he told me no, that they were only replacing a section of cable. It was a repair job.

So, that brings me up to date. I sincerly hope that the boards eircom reps can help a bit more than their shoddy customer service has!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Schorpio wrote: »
    My house was built in 2005 and when I requested a phone line, eircom installed a pairgain (basically a tap off a neighbours line). As a result, I don't have my own stretch of copper wire, just a piggyback - which means no ADSL for me.

For years I've been requesting that eircom remove the pairgain and provide me with my own line so that I could recieve broadband. I live down a cul-de-sac and all of my surrounding neighbours have broadband. Last summer, I got fed up and requested a new line, and I made it clear that this line would need to be broadband enabled or else it would be no good to me. The man I spoke to on the phone, said that that should be no problem. An engineer came out to visit me (and to be frank he was very rude) and when he saw that I already had a line, he almost refused to go about providing a new line, instead saying that he would get my current line 'unbundled' - I think that's the term he used. I agreed to go along with this, but I was informed that there were new poles to be put down along my road and that work would have to be carried out first.

The new poles were put down last Winter, and a month or two after that when I still hadn't heard anything from eircom, I decided to ring them myself. I asked the man I spoke to whether the work was still scheduled to be done on my line, and he said that he would have to send an email to a different department and he would call me back within a day or two. I never heard back from him.

Last week I finally saw some eircom vans on my road with some new cable. "Finally!" I thought. However, when I asked the engineer, he told me no, that they were only replacing a section of cable. It was a repair job.

So, that brings me up to date. I sincerly hope that the boards eircom reps can help a bit more than their shoddy customer service has!

Hi Schorpio,

Thanks for contacting eircom on boards.

I am looking into your query and will advise shortly.

All the best,

Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Cheers for the reply. Would it help if I PM'd you my number?

Hi Schorpio,

Can you please PM your home phone number, in order to look into this query further.

Thanks
    Ant

PM sent.

I know it's only been a day, but just wondering if there's any update on this?

• Advertisement

I know it's only been a day, but just wondering if there's any update on this?

Thanks again Schorpio,

I've sent your query to the relevant eircom department. This will be looked at soon. I will possibly give you a further update next week.

Kind regards,

Ant

Hi Ant,

I know this thread is really old at this stage, but there are Eircom vans putting up new cable along the road where I live this week and last week. I asked some of the men, and they said that they are putting up new cable the lenght of the road. Any chance you could look into this again for me?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Ant,

I know this thread is really old at this stage, but there are Eircom vans putting up new cable along the road where I live this week and last week. I asked some of the men, and they said that they are putting up new cable the lenght of the road. Any chance you could look into this again for me?

Cheers!

Hi Schorpio,

I will asked the network section for your area and get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Ant,

Cheers!

Hi Schorpio,

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark, appreciate it!

Any update on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Schorpio,

Thanks, Mark

Hi Schorpio,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I have sent a request to our network opeations department and as soon as I have an update I will let you know.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement