Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for a newbie

• 12-04-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi everybody,
    Our family just moved to Cabinteely (D18) from the US, land of unlimited internet access, and things are so different I don't know what to choose.
    Basically, we use our Internet connection for browsing, online shopping, online poker, Skype video chat, watching Youtube videos, Facebook and gmail.
    It would have to be wireless, so the laptop can be in various rooms of the house. Ideally, we could have two laptops and 2 iPhones connected to the WiFi.
    Could you please advise me on what kind of plan to get? I have no idea of what kind of data allowance we will need on a monthly basis.
    As for providers, I already called UPC and they don't cover our area, so I was looking at maybe Digiweb, or one of the mobile phone providers such as 3.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Maud

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭IQDENIED

Try Host Ireland if you are in their coverage area! upto 50mbps each-way!

"This truly revolutionary service is now available with an install time of 10 business days. The install involves placing an small (1ft) antenna on the client premises and running a single ethernet cable from the antenna to the client’s own router."

What does it Cost, for;

Download Speed: 12.5mbps
    Upload Speed: 12.5mbps

Contract Type: Monthly, Rolling
    Monthly Cost: €99 + VAT
    Installation Cost: €299 + VAT

coupled with your skype account or These guys could be ideal, btw I think some broadband providers ban VoIP in Ireland... pretty sure these guys do not.

probably the best upload speeds available to residential users in Dublin which is ideal if you want good quality video calls!(on receivers end anyway!)

P.S. Stay away from mobile broadband, read the forums, dire speeds and costly too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

IQDENIED wrote: »
    Try Host Ireland if you are in their coverage area! upto 50mbps each-way!

"This truly revolutionary service is now available with an install time of 10 business days. The install involves placing an small (1ft) antenna on the client premises and running a single ethernet cable from the antenna to the client’s own router."

What does it Cost, for;

Download Speed: 12.5mbps
    Upload Speed: 12.5mbps

Contract Type: Monthly, Rolling
    Monthly Cost: €99 + VAT
    Installation Cost: €299 + VAT

coupled with your skype account or These guys could be ideal, btw I think some broadband providers ban VoIP in Ireland... pretty sure these guys do not.

probably the best upload speeds available to residential users in Dublin which is ideal if you want good quality video calls!(on receivers end anyway!)

P.S. Stay away from mobile broadband, read the forums, dire speeds and costly too!!
    That seems quite expensive. There are plenty of options available much cheaper that would be good enough to do what the OP wants. OP, just check out the "Which Provider" sticky at the top of the forum and you'll see a lot more options you can check out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

General Rule is that

Cable > DSL > Fixed Wireless > Mobile

As you can't get cable, then look at the DSL offerings, as said, check out the "Which Provider" sticky above.

All (?) new connections come with a wireless router so you don't really need to worry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Digiweb Metro is a very good fixed wireless provider, and have good cover in Dublin City. Price will be lower than for DSL, with speeds being generally much more consistent (due largely to Digiweb's strict enforcement of the cap). For general use, Skype, etc, the cap will not be an issue.

Do not consider mobile midband solutions for your requirement. 3G cannot give consistent speed/latency, or even low enough latency for good quality VOIP and video chat. It's also not going to be suited to sharing on multiple devices, even with a wireless router, it'll only get worse.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

MaudL wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    Our family just moved to Cabinteely (D18) from the US, land of unlimited internet access, and things are so different I don't know what to choose.
    Basically, we use our Internet connection for browsing, online shopping, online poker, Skype video chat, watching Youtube videos, Facebook and gmail.
    It would have to be wireless, so the laptop can be in various rooms of the house. Ideally, we could have two laptops and 2 iPhones connected to the WiFi.
    Could you please advise me on what kind of plan to get? I have no idea of what kind of data allowance we will need on a monthly basis.
    As for providers, I already called UPC and they don't cover our area, so I was looking at maybe Digiweb, or one of the mobile phone providers such as 3.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Maud

An internal wireless network has nothing go to do with the type of broadband that you choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Thanks everybody for your input. So do you think that something along the lines of 60Gb data allowance a month will be enough?

Advertisement