Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dryer?

Options
  • 12-04-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hiya there, a question for you. My husband, son and I just signed a lease and moved into this great apartment, and as I was going to do our first loads of laundry I realized that the appliance is just a washer, not a dryer.
    There is a drying rack provided by the landlord, but the residence management does not allow clothes drying on the balconies, so it would have to be set up inside, where it takes up most of the living space and will drip water on the carpet.
    I admit I didn't look closely before signing the lease, as I had read that a dryer was supposed to be provided if there was no suitable outdoor space to dry clothes.
    Was I mistaken? Can I ask the landlord to get us a washer-dryer combo?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Maud

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

No water should be dripping after you've washed them in the machine. Make sure it finishes with a spin.

I too dry all my clothes indoors as I've no outside space, there's never a drip from them.

You can ask your landlord for a combo washer dryer but the guidelines for such are a bit vague, plus hanging the clothes costs less too. It's doable, I've been doing it for over 2 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I dry my clothes inside all the time and there is no drips - if the clothes are dripping coming out of the machine, either the machine is overloaded, or the spin speed is too low. I don't use the dryer by choice (not risking clothes shrinking)

But I believe you are correct. There's a handy PDF somewhere I can't find, so can only point you to this page which links to the legislation
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

The page mentions clothes drying facilities (technically the rack is such a facility) but the legislation specifically states dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

Youre correct about the legislation, however, even though it was introduced in Jan 2009, the landlord does not have to comply with certain parts of it until 2013. The dryer is one of those parts.

The landlord must only provide a dryer if there is no outside space. The legislation does not state whether they have taken the house rules of a development into consideration so this is a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Last place I was in had a combined washer/dryer and it was useless. Got a dehumidifier and put it on near the clothes horse, clothes dried overnight. If you've a small room to do your drying it'll work even better.

I know that doesn't answer your right-to-a-dryer question but it's good to know if you must dry indoors and don't have a (decent) dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The dryer on the washer/dryer combos are generally useless and require at least 2 'drys' before the clothes are any way dry (and that's with some of the clothes removed after the wash!).

My mates have abandoned the dryer in favour of a clothes horse in their apartment and the clothes dry pretty much over night (they're dry enough to wear by lunchtime the next day). It's saved hugely on their ESB bills. Granted, if you've a young(ish) child you'd probably forgoe the few euro for being able to have the clothes dry and wearable in an hour or two.

The clothes definitely shouldn't be dripping after a spin in the washing machine, so try reducing the quantity of clothes in the machine (no more than half fill the barrel). If they're still dripping then the machine may not be working properly, so best to contact the landlord asap about that.

I know a dehumidifier was mentioned above - just be aware that they can use a huge amount of electricity, depending on the model and size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Second the comments regarding the combo washer/dryers they are rubbish for drying clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

As a landlord,i have always provided a washing machine and a seperate dryer as it is in my best interest to have a happy tennant,happy tenants stay longer.
    Ask the landlord and see what he says-if he has any sense he will spend 200-300 euro or so on a dryer rather than have an empty property every year when the lease is up for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Agree with the above. As a tenant I have rented properties without dryers and find life a LOT easier with them and would most likely stay longer. There is definately no harm asking the landlord and seeing if he will accomodate you.

Dryers are so convienient, and even though I wouldnt use them for all my clothes, I find they are a must-have particularly in apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Washer/dryers are not much good at all.
    Takes at least cycles to get my clothes dry.
    Use a clothes horse outside these days on the balconey. Sure lots in the complex do. Though reading boards, this bothers some

Good call on asking the landlord.
    If you're a good tenant, then a few hundred is worth it to keep a good tenant happy in this apartment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Drying clothes on balcony is forbidden in my apartment complex. I just use the clothes horse indoors. Sure it's grand, dry in a day or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement