Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Portlaoise shopping centre, when will it open?

Options
  • 12-04-2011 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im in Portlaoise most weekends and I see the new Portlaoise shopping centre is flying along, I even heard the guys working away on site on Sunday gone, wonder how much longer we will wait for the opening of the much improved centre? seemly its suppose to open during 2011 but would anyone know a more accurate date, maybe somebody has some inside knowledge? link below looks great :D
    http://www.laoisshoppingcentre.com/contact-us/commercial.268.html

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Mountrath wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im in Portlaoise most weekends and I see the new Portlaoise shopping centre is flying along, I even heard the guys working away on site on Sunday gone, wonder how much longer we will wait for the opening of the much improved centre? seemly its suppose to open during 2011 but would anyone know a more accurate date, maybe somebody has some inside knowledge? link below looks great :D
    http://www.laoisshoppingcentre.com/contact-us/commercial.268.html

Is that were tesco is? If so tesco is in the process of been kitted out by the staff, I know a lad working there and he started the kit out on Sunday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

yea Tesco are there, new Tesco Extra store, so maybe not so long to wait...its possible Tesco will open before the rest, sure who knows..

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

Are there going to be any new tenants? What's going where tesco is now?

Hi kizzyf, have a look at the link & download the brochure you can see three floors and more room for stores, if there is new tenants coming nothing has been posted online yet..maybe its a big surprise:D I can count a number of stores that would be useful but if new ones come along thats another thing, sure the Dunnes and Portlaoise Retail park still have spaces for new clients

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Retail Hell

the anchor tenants will be in soon, but as for the rest, who knows, with commerical rates on the rise, and the drop in disposal cash for the Local community it may not be viable for new businesses to comein, and as for the existing traders in the town it can only do damage to their businesses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

I think this new shopping centre is maddness. The amount of empty(and new) premises around portlaois already and noone to fill them!

Retail Hell, I do believe the new centre will damage existing traders, but surely that always an issue no matter which part of the country your in, while im sure there is more than enough retail in Portlaoise for the size of the population, I do believe from been from Dublin originally the more choice the better, however I do feel for any business closing the doors from been hit harder from a new centre opening, the days of driving to Dublin for the Chrimbo shopping is over, as from a personal point of view the more choice on my door step the better, once the development doesn't turn into parkside that looks like a mess http://www.parkside.ie/

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    I think this new shopping centre is maddness. The amount of empty(and new) premises around portlaois already and noone to fill them!
    seems that way really but one day will come when things start to get better, then maybe just maybe all thes empty units will be filled, if and when is anyone guess, I see Lidl are making there store bigger also..

Pitty they couldn't build one of these centres in a big field in Mountrath:D, we have plenty of empty fields awaiting development..

Pitty they couldn't build one of these centres in a big field in Mountrath:D, we have plenty of empty fields awaiting development..

Dont be greedy now ye got a car boot sale!!:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Dont be greedy now ye got a car boot sale!!:pac::pac:
    I know im very lucky...(Im a greedy Dub) im waiting for my Liffey Valley shopping centre to open in one of them fields, did i tell you we have a Centra and Cost Cutters also, jasus Mountrath is doing well just fix them post holes and me wheels might stay on the car:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 flyboy69

The new staff for Tesco's are in training at the moment so won't be long before they open but it looks like there will be empty units along side it just like the Kyle center and Parkside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Late April, early May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

i think it may be opening 19th april. They are actually stocking it up as we speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

I see Lidl are making there store bigger also..

Apparently they are adding a bakery. They have one in other stores I'm told (Kilkenny possibly).

, once the development doesn't turn into parkside that looks like a mess http://www.parkside.ie/

What I've heard about Parkside is that it may only get worse. I've a friend in the food retail business with one of the other big chains and he has heard that once SuperQuinns lease expires they'll close their doors. I will underline, this may well only be hearsay. Would anyone actually be surprised however given how quite it always seems to be?

Also, I'm told (more reliable source) the maintenance costs for all units in the centre are based on sq footage, SuperQuinn are paying the majority of it given the size of their unit. If they close, the costs will be split across the remaining tenants which logically means the Cafe, Pharmacy and Domino's won't survive. Granted the landlord may see sense and change the arrangement in order to retain these tenants.

I realise that a government dept. (possibly Forestry) is in there now, so that may help offset some of it.

kizzyf wrote: »
    What's going where tesco is now?

I've heard that Penneys is moving into that unit.

Planning was granted and construction began on it long before things got bad afaik.

Personally, I'd rather see the centre finished and empty than unfinished, boarded up and derelict.

As someone else pointed out, things will improve eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

tesco opens the 26th april. saw a sign today. hope a decent clothes shop ccomes in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

javagal wrote: »
    tesco opens the 26th april. saw a sign today. hope a decent clothes shop ccomes in

Yep, 26th, just got a mailshot in the door with a €10 off voucher every week for the next 6 weeks (I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

It's €8 off with every €80 spent, not bad if you already do a decent shop there anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Heard it's going to be a 24hr Tesco too. Nothing like shopping at 3a.m in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Bubblegums

According to my Tesco Clubcard rubbish in the post, the new Tesco store opens on April 26th 8am and will be open 24hrs 7 days a week...

There will be a bigger clothing section and a new Opticians section... wow Yellopack glasses, I can't wait... :rolleyes:

We have at least 3 private opticians and a new Specsavers in Portlaoise already... what's the bets one or more of the private opticians will close down...

It seems odd they didn't open for the Easter Weekend, the 'old' store has almost nothing in it as they are stocking the new one and the old bit is to be an extra back store... I must say, I'm dead curious to see it all, I just thought the new bit was for Tescos, but it seems it's a new bit to the 'shopping centre', but who will take the new spaces?? The boom is well over...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Penneys are extending their existing unit, the new bit is about twice the size of the old one, and is built awaiting fitout.
    The old Tesco will form the third anchor unit (still to be announced) and some smaller units along the extended mall.
    The three storey basement carpark is fairly unique, worth a look if you're a building nerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Just went in. Absolutely no opening offers or specials for being the first customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 flyboy69

Just went in. Absolutely no opening offers or specials for being the first customer.

:( Disappointing, Are there any opening specials or offers at all?

Thats a pity - you'd think they would have done something:confused:
    Anyway is the clothes section any good?? How about the electronics?

So now we have a nice big Tesco 24/7 but what about the rest! my question is when will penneys be extended and what about this famous third anchor?:D

P.S Went food shopping in Tesco one week and spent 160euro, went food shopping in Dunnes another week and spent 120euro, Tesco is working out more expensive for me!

Here is the latest

Link http://www.laoisshoppingcentre.com/news-events/extended-laois-shopping-centre-ready-to-open-its-doors.291.html

Extended Laois Shopping Centre Ready to Open Its Doors

(20 Apr 2011)

Harcourt Developments are pleased to announce the opening of phase one of the eagerly anticipated extension to Laois Shopping Centre on Tuesday 26th April. This first phase will consist of a brand new Tesco Extra Store which will be triple the size of their existing store at 88,000 sq ft making it one of the country’s largest Tesco Stores. The store will trade 24hours a day, 7 days a week. This single level store will stock not only food, but clothing and electronics. "The new Tesco Extra store will enhance the towns’ retail infrastructure and help copper fasten Portlaoise’s place as the retail hub of the midlands," said John Nolan, General Manager, Tesco Portlaoise.

Next Tuesday 26th April will also see the opening of three levels of free covered car parking providing over 1,200 spaces, as well as a new pedestrian entrance to the shopping centre adjacent to Dunnes Stores, Kyle Centre.
    Penneys are due to commence fit out of their extended store which will increase their presence in the centre from 16,000 sq ft to 48,000 sq ft.
    The redevelopment of Laois Shopping Centre is one of the only retail projects currently being constructed in Ireland. The full scheme is scheduled to complete by autumn 2011, having created over 250 jobs throughout the construction programme. It is expected upon completion the shopping centre’s employment figures will almost treble with over 700 retail jobs, providing a significant boost to employment in Portlaoise and the surrounding counties.
    Once completed the total size of the new scheme will be approximately 265,000 sq ft including a range of retail units from 500 – 30,000 sq ft. Shoppers have already had a taste of the quality of the new centre since the first level of the free covered car park opened in October last year. The centre will be propelled into a 21st Century shopping environment with a light and airy, double-height environment. Improved facilities and a diverse retail mix will provide a more convenient and varied shopping experience. The centre will bring new brands to Portlaoise and create a point of difference for the town and the midlands region as the first concentrated fashion offer.
    Pat Power of Harcourt Developments commented; "We are delighted to have reached this milestone with the extension of Laois Shopping Centre with the impending opening of one of the country’s largest Tesco Stores. The investment from such retail giants has further underpinned the strength of confidence in the catchment which already exists and is a major boost for job creation in the midlands. Laois Shopping Centre has been successfully trading for almost 20 years and already boasts a significant footfall however with the extension of the centre we expect this to increase substantially as the centre draws on a much wider catchment area. We feel the extended centre will attract new shoppers to Portlaoise which can only benefit the town overall. "
    Commenting on the progress of the scheme Karl Stewart of letting agents DTZ Sherry FitzGerald advised, "There is a strong demand for a scheme such as Laois Shopping Centre which will act as the main shopping hub for Laois. The excellent access from the improved local road network, including the link to the nearby M7, means less hassle for shoppers. In addition the contemporary architecture will create a more refined and sophisticated shopping environment improving the overall customer experience. We will be announcing new additional retailers which will commence fit out soon."
    Harcourt Developments are the developers and DTZ Sherry FitzGerald are the letting agents for the scheme. For retail enquiries contact: Karl Stewart, Tel. 01 6399347 or Email: karl.stewart@dtz.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

I've heard Next and M&S are meant to be going in there as well. Only time will tell.

Advertisement