Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What (off-road / scrambler) bike for me?

• 12-04-2011 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

So I’ve been biking for a few years now (going on four), and I’m looking to get something for off-road. I picked up a trials bike recently, and it’s great fun for messing about on the bog or back garden, but I’d like something with a seat as well.

I’ll be using it for fields, bogs, and the like. No intention of racing it. Would like it if my Dad could use it too (no real prior experience) so I don’t want it to be too powerful. Low maintenance is a big plus too.

Like I say, not really interested in anything too fast or powerful, or big. Was looking at Suzuki RM125s but I think they’re too highly strung.

Budget is around the 1,000 mark (more if I could trade the trials bike against a new one as well, but I don’t want to part with it)

Is there any like that out there? I’m thinking a modern version of a Bultaco Sherpa or something similar would be perfect. Does anything like that exist? Light, fun, dependable, not too powerful...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

no experience with them at all (or any offroaders), but perhaps a honda crf100 (4 stroke), or a yam dt 125 / 175 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Light fun, not too complex.
    I would be looking for a DR200/250 or XR200/250
    Maybe the Yamaha XT 225/250 series as well.
    They are older tech but still very usable compared to the modern 4t MX/enduro machines that have a lot moe power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

How tall are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

How tall are you?

About 5'11" - you reckon the smaller 250s would be too low for me?

Thanks for the suggestions lads, gives me a good bit of stuff to look up online and see if anything stands out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

ya the xr/xl's a great reliable bikes, if you can find one. 125 mx bikes are very peaky and at that budget you'll probably end up with a worn out pile of ****e thats had the bag run off it. Another option would be a ktm 200 exc
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2060446 If you can stretch the budget i'd look for a older wr250 or crf250x or ktm 250 exc=f

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

MikeC101 wrote: »
    About 5'11" - you reckon the smaller 250s would be too low for me?

Thanks for the suggestions lads, gives me a good bit of stuff to look up online and see if anything stands out.

No, they are all fine. The DR250 would be a bit tight, but if you are gonna spend most of the time standing up, it won't matter much.I was gonna suggest that you go for something like a DRZ400. Proper offroad, but quite tall. Anyone under 5'6" would be struggling.

No, they are all fine. The DR250 would be a bit tight, but if you are gonna spend most of the time standing up, it won't matter much.I was gonna suggest that you go for something like a DRZ400. Proper offroad, but quite tall. Anyone under 5'6" would be struggling.
    DRZ400's aren't too common for 1000 lids though, If you see one for that price tell me first:)
    I tell you what I reckon those older 4T bikes are actually easier to use for most people than the modern stuff that makes big power and revs fast.
    I have seen a good rider on a DR200 go places that a trials guy would think twice about.
    There is a lot to be said for a linear power delivery, when riding offroad.
    Back when 2T bikes were used for enduros they used MX bikes with big flywheels and thick headgaskets to make the power delivery more tractable.
    These days most stuff has a big hit in the midrange and it makes riding in slippery conditions very difficult.
    Once the back wheel breaks loose the bike gets unstable pretty quick and makes hillclimbs particularly challenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

+1 on the DR200. Very easy to ride - off road you'll be standing up anyway, so you'll be glad it's low when you do need a break. Light on juice, and almost no technology..........win-win.

This was my SO's bike, which some lucky sod in Sligo (iirc) has now .....should have kept it....... :(....
    414054603_g4qEV-M.jpg

I had bought her one of these, first, but.....rose tinted glasses, really........not as powerful or as nice to ride as the DR, ****e brakes, unreliable. But people nearly took my arm off when I went to sell it...

69730011_qoZYz-M.jpg

I bought one of these for myself: exact same as my trials bike, but my knees needed a break, so I bought the enduro version: GasGas Pampera 250. Brilliant. Forget about getting one for 1k though.........

69730005_8HH4e-O.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I remember your DR200 GWT, great little machine. Was that an E-start as well?
    Hard to find one like that with racks in that condition.
    Just one Q why does it say DF? I know some of those Suzuki's came with a super low range gearbox for farmers as well.

Advertisement