Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a scam because I think it is

• 12-04-2011 2:00pm

ok so my mam mails me last week on friday saying she got a call from starpc repair, they told her the usual bull that her computer is infected and that they can fix it for 2 year registration fee of $299. straight away a scam was screaming at me.
    they said they removed from their office all the viruses and seemed to know when she went online cos they rang.
    to me, this is spyware and they have some kind of access to the router to get the phone number because we are not listed.
    i sent a mail from my mam's account asking how they had access to the pc in the first place, to confirm how they removed files and to send a list of removed files and to tell us how they got the phone number cos we are not listed on the directory. i said at the end this is invasion of privacy if they accessed the pc without consent and if these queries were not answered by noon today that we will be seeking legal advice on how to retrieve the money and how they accessed our computer.

well my mam mailed me while ago saying that they rang saying they are genuine and that the email was horrible. they now want my mam to mail saying she is happy with the pc cos supposedly the managing director is very worried now.

i just wonder is he trying now to stall my mam on putting a dispute on the credit card payment.

anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

ok so my mam mails me last week...........

Yes. Yes it is.

And for the serious answer it's a known ongoing scam.

Look here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Scam plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

It's a scam. Definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,480 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If she didnt look for this service its a scam. Simple as that. Cancel the payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

send me your bank details and ill find out for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

After Hours -> Computers

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

So, some unknown company that you or your mother never contacted before, and who aren't affiliated in anyway with your ISP, rings/emails you telling you have problems with your PC and you have doubts that they are legitimate?

I can understand that some people aren't 'PC literate' but surely there should be some level of common sense.

To me the above scenario would be the same if some bloke identifying himself with some random, unheard of garage walked up to my driveway said my car was faulty and said he has to take it away, even though I never took it to the local garage and/or was never told someone was coming to take it away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

PandyAndy wrote: »
    ...To me the above scenario would be the same if some bloke identifying himself with some random, unheard of garage walked up to my driveway said my car was faulty and said he has to take it away, even though I never took it to the local garage and/or was never told someone was coming to take it away.

Spot on analogy.

Total and utter scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,318 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

never give your credit card information out over the phone.

Much less when they call you; not the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Its unbelievable how vulnerable some people are:(

• Advertisement

PandyAndy wrote: »
    So, some unknown company that you or your mother never contacted before, and who aren't affiliated in anyway with your ISP, rings/emails you telling you have problems with your PC and you have doubts that they are legitimate?

I can understand that some people aren't 'PC literate' but surely there should be some level of common sense.

To me the above scenario would be the same if some bloke identifying himself with some random, unheard of garage walked up to my driveway said my car was faulty and said he has to take it away, even though I never took it to the local garage and/or was never told someone was coming to take it away.

i knew it was a scam, my mam kept on questioning it, i am overseas working and posted here in a way to show her it is a scam. shes now afraid that they will pester her. she had paid the money before she emailed so i couldn't do much about that. oh well its an expensive lesson for her

Advertisement