Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Company - Need Advice

Options
  • 12-04-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the correct place to be posting this but I need some advice
    Here's the story .....
    I got a delivery of kerosene from a local enough oil company Christmas week. I knew they were coming and didn't want another bill so I left the money with my 15 yr old son. The delivery came, the guy knocked on the door and my son paid him. He just wrote "PAID" on the docket and that was it.
    Now, this oil company keep phoning my parents house (I never gave them that phone number as they live in a different area of the town to me).
    My parents have been informed by this company that -
    • They are looking for me as I owe them money.
    • They keep trying to contact me but I won't answer the phone to them (They don't even ring me).
    My parents are annoyed at this and it has started to worry them. They are both in their 70's and really don't need this ****. I'm in my 40's and well able to pay my own bills, but, I am not paying a bill that has been already paid.
    Does anyone know
    • Is this legal?
    • Can this company call up my parents and say all this to them?
    ADVICE PLEASE ......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

You're going to have to phone them and find out what the story is in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

If they "keep phoning your parent's house" what had been stopping you ringing them back and saying that there has been an error and that you ahve a recipt to show it paid.

By not contacting them, they are quite right to assume you are trying to avoid them.

A very simple and quick phone call is all that is needed to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TRANSFORMATION

Sorry, forgot to mention .... I did phone them and said exactly that "I paid and have the docket marked paid by their driver".

I even sent in a copy of the docket.

Still they ring my parents house and not mine.

My question is -

Can they phone my parents and discuss this with them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Sorry, forgot to mention .... I did phone them and said exactly that "I paid and have the docket marked paid by their driver".

I even sent in a copy of the docket.

Still they ring my parents house and not mine.

My question is -

Can they phone my parents and discuss this with them?

no, they are not entitled to speak to your parents as the contract of sale is not with them, its with you. And you should tell them that in writing.
    Also inform them that you are annoyed by their shoddy accounting and that you have a reciept for the payment made, and therefore, the oil is paid and the matter is closed.

In that case, they're been stupid. And assuming you're a touch over 18:p, they cannot talk to any other party related or unrelated with regards to any perceived debt you have.

You've given them the receipt with paid written on it, they should have a copy of it or at least talk to the driver.

One other scenario....some 15 year old boys can be a little economical with the truth (just going on personal experience:D:D - I did own up about 2 years ago, 28 years after the event)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 TRANSFORMATION

Thanks to everyone for the words of advice.

Yes, it had crossed my mind that my 15yr old may have pocketed the money but the docket is marked PAID and it really couldn't be his writing. He has dyslexia and awful bad handwriting.

I don't really mind the money query at all, as I have the docket signed.

But I really am annoyed that they discussed and worried my 70 yr old parents with this.

I'm going to write to this company this evening.

Any suggestions as to what to put in the letter so it sounds like i know what i'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I would say there's a very good chance that this comes under the Anti-social behaviour law, and as such is a criminal offence. They are harassing your parents, people that have nothing to do with the account or disputed bill in question, and refuse to stop when told.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/anti_social_behaviour_by_adults.html

Your parents should make a report at the local Garda station, say they are being harassed over the phone by a company that they have no dealings with, and see what they say.

Also if the oil company have disclosed any detail of the account to your parents, then that is a breech of the data protection act, which is also a criminal offence. If this is the case, report it to the data protection commissioner too.

I don't think its necessary to put anything special in the letter.

Just bullet point

1. The money is not owed

2. My contact number is xxxx not my parent's number

3. If you harrass my parents again who have nothing to do with this dispute I will make a formal complaint of harrassment to the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

They're probably also in breach of the data protection act, if they're discussing your account with anyone not authorised for that account.

Advertisement