Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on switching from DMD....

Options
  • 12-04-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hello!

Just wondering can anyone help me. I'm currently in my first year of Digital Media Design, and while it's grand for the moment I can't help but thinking that further down the line it's going to turn into more of a sociology & psychology based course. This is the impression I get anyway from looking at the modules for the upcoming years and hearing others talk about it.

I want to stay on the media & technological aspect (programming, web dev, audio & video, etc.) and was wondering would it be advisable to switch to something like MMPT (Music, Media & Performance Technology), or is it too late, considering I already have first year pretty much finished. If I were to switch I'd obviously do it at the start of second year...

...anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

End of 1st Year, it should be possible.
    Contact the MMPT course head in CSIS. Double check it is what you expect (there's a lot of technical sound work in MMPT).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Hello!

Just wondering can anyone help me. I'm currently in my first year of Digital Media Design, and while it's grand for the moment I can't help but thinking that further down the line it's going to turn into more of a sociology & psychology based course. This is the impression I get anyway from looking at the modules for the upcoming years and hearing others talk about it.

I want to stay on the media & technological aspect (programming, web dev, audio & video, etc.) and was wondering would it be advisable to switch to something like MMPT (Music, Media & Performance Technology), or is it too late, considering I already have first year pretty much finished. If I were to switch I'd obviously do it at the start of second year...

...anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

I am just about to graduate from this course and we did have to do an absolute cackload of sociology BUT they are seriously overhauling the course so talk to gabrielle over the next few weeks to find out if they are going in the direction you want. basically all of us are giving feedback that amounts to way less sociology if any at all, way more programming and way more practical application of the design principles.

there is huge demand for interface designers / digital media designers so its not a bad course to be in as far as jobs go (especially compared to mmpt) but if its not floating your boat you are better off changing.

You might be able to go straight into second year of mmpt but more then likely you are looking at repeating first year no matter what course you change to

edit; if you have the aptitude for teaching yourself css / html / php / mysql / java / javascript (they will teach you flash and actionscript to a certain extent) then staying in dmd and doing that is the best route for getting were you want to be imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

I'm a second year MMPT student and last year we had someone cross over to us from DMD. I would suggest talking to Kerry Hagan who is our course leader, or even Guisseppe Torre who is taking over for Kerry starting next year. They would be able to give you all the information you will need for this! Also you could approach Annette MgElligot since she is the head of the whole department...

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

I would say Annette is the person to talk to

Advertisement