Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handmade furniture shop on the quay

• 12-04-2011 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever been in here? What a building. I'd love to know what used to be in there. Any info or background would be gratefully received,

(there's actually some great furniture in there too at decent prices)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I love the upstairs area of that shop! I imagine turning it into a place to live every time I go there. I like their furniture too.

I vaguely remember a couple of other shops being in it, there was a cafe at the front of the upstairs area at one stage and clothing downstairs I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's a fanastic building that I'd say has loads of history.

On summer days I like to walk along the quay..stop in for a drink in Dooleys...eat in a restaurant along the way an always call in here for a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 viking2011

used to be Waterford Design Centre -
    was crafts ppl on the top floor -
    was a great place but didnt make the cut - even during the celtic tiger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Perhaps there were crafts people on the top floor at some stage but there was a religious shrine on the very top floor with a full altar, church pews and everything that goes with it for years.

When the handmade furniture shop tool it over it became a storeroom for them as the lift went up to the top floor so I imagine it was easy transport stuff up there.

Haven't been on the top floor in years but I imagine the religious stuff is long gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

viking2011 wrote: »
    used to be Waterford Design Centre -
    was crafts ppl on the top floor -
    was a great place but didnt make the cut - even during the celtic tiger

If they(owners) didn't pick and choose the crafts people by who they were ..
    it might have had a chance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Was that the shop where either the owner or a man working there single handedly foiled a burglary, and detained the criminal until the guards got there, think it happened a year or two ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Id say that religious stuff had something to do with when the Treacy's owned it, Bridget was a very religious woman!

Saying that they may still own it and just rent it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Id say that religious stuff had something to do with when the Treacy's owned it, Bridget was a very religious woman!

Saying that they may still own it and just rent it out.

Oh it was Bridget & Jim's stuff I'd say.

Not sure of the current ownership of the building but the last I knew it was still owned by the Treacy's but that was years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Where on the quay is this shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

beside centra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It is an amazing shop, I wonder who designed it?

It really looks like the MacIntosh store in Glasgow.

nMXw

Advertisement