Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slieveroe/Coarsepark Broadband

• 11-04-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, I see this thread is really old but thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm thinking of renting a house in Slieveroe/Coarsepark does anyone know the status of broadband down there. Or which is the local exchange?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Mcdopus wrote: »
    Hi, I see this thread is really old but thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm thinking of renting a house in Slieveroe/Coarsepark does anyone know the status of broadband down there. Or which is the local exchange?

Thanks.

Not sure if you can get it there via local exchange, the 3g option works. Ill try and get a local phone number i know, and check via eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mcdopus

Hi, I was thinking 3g would be a good option, if I can get a couple of mb indoors. Paying for the hardline phone rental seems a waste of money when I know i'll never use it. But i'll take what I can get.

I saw boards up for Airwire, but the website isnt exactly specific when it comes to coverage.

Let me know what you can find out.

Cheers

Hi, I was thinking 3g would be a good option, if I can get a couple of mb indoors. Paying for the hardline phone rental seems a waste of money when I know i'll never use it. But i'll take what I can get.

I saw boards up for Airwire, but the website isnt exactly specific when it comes to coverage.

Let me know what you can find out.

Cheers

3g works fine around there. My home house 1/4 of a mile from where you are thinking of renting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I snipped this from the very old thread so you can start afresh instead. Not everyone will realise it was an old thread and it can cause confusion.

Btw, there are some options here you might be able to use
    http://www.meerkat.ie/IT_services.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Toft
    TangoTwit

Well I'm out past Claren and I've been able to get broad band through BT, though I think they no longer do this area, and vodafone, the speeds are about 1 meg but I am a good distance from Headford.

I got a thing through the door from three network saying that their broadband dongles work out here now and I do have a 3 phone that works well enough so I think there's the option of fixed line and mobile broadband.

If you go for fixed line broadband they might tell you what they told me that the phone lines can't handle it, but tell them to test your line like I did. both Voda and BT told me the same thing and both times when they tested the line it was fine. Voda told me the lines weren't up to it even though I'd had broad bad for a year at that stage.

Let us know how it works out for you and if you go with mobile broadband what speeds do you get, cos I might switch again. Good Luck

• Advertisement

Hi, what speeds are you getting from 3. I need a low latency resilient network. Dont mind sticking a 3g aerial of some variety on a pole on the roof.

I dont really want to pay for line rental for a fixed line I wont be using for voice or a contract should I need to move.

Have had a look at Airwire, they sound like they've good infrastructure and good coverage, but the 99euro install charge or a year upfront, is a bit hard to swallow for me.

Would be good to know. This is for Slieveroe/Coarsepark area. About a mile and a half down the same road is the Corrib Lakeshore Hotel...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

You're on the Greenfields road then it would seem. I'm on the satyme road, close enough to Claran church and get 2mb on a fixed line. Contention is an issue.

Nearest exchange is Headford, just this side of the town in the building with a permanent eircom van outside.

Main problem is distance from the exchange, and that's not going to change.

I heard there was a good wireless connections available now in the last 12 to 18 months but haven't tried any.

Would be good to hear how you get on if you try one.

I've seen the road and location called many things, one of which being Eaglewood.

Anyway, I think I have some options, in order of preference/cost:

3g from three.ie
    then fight it out between eircom/vodafone for fixed line, or Airwire for wifi. It depends who wants my business the most.

If anyone has any promo leaflets through the door, it would be great to know.

Cheers

I've seen the road and location called many things, one of which being Eaglewood.

Anyway, I think I have some options, in order of preference/cost:

3g from three.ie
    then fight it out between eircom/vodafone for fixed line, or Airwire for wifi. It depends who wants my business the most.

If anyone has any promo leaflets through the door, it would be great to know.

Cheers

your in coarsepark. Eaglewood is the first right hand turn heading back toward headford at the crossroads "crows foot".

SO, I moved in and got an o2 g3 dongle

If I sit in a certain place in the house by the window upstairs, I can get a signal. Its not bad. Peaking at 3mb down, .5 up.

BUT, sitting by the window with the laptop on the windowsill, isnt very comfy,

so I've bought an antenna but need to know where the nearest o2 mast is so I can point the antenna at it

Does any one know?

And by the way, i've had a chat with my friendly neighbour who has eircom broadband, its struggling to get 0.5mb down, on a 1meg service.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

Have a look here - http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp

I find a long USB cable handy for this purpose also.

Thanks, thats the site I was looking for.

I'll simply point it in the direction of Headford then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

Thanks, thats the site I was looking for.

I'll simply point it in the direction of Headford then.

02 Transmitter on side of Joyces supermarket which would be roughly east of you. There is another 02 transmitter north of that on the Headford-Glencorrib road which would be worth a try also.

Thanks, having looked a bit closer at the site map, site ID 6328 is the one that provides 3g service to o2 users. Good job.

Advertisement