Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oranmore train station

Options
  • 12-04-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Last thing I heard on this was planning being granted and the project going to tender. Surely it doesn't take this long to find a contractor to do the job, does it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Last i heard it should be buily by the end of the year, early new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Oranmore_railway_station&action=history
    Wikipedia wrote:
    t is speculated that the new station will remove as many as 65,000 cars from the roads into Galway each day, this being the amount of cars that travel from Oranmore to Galway each day, according to Noel Grealish TD.

:pac: and :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I know this is old but...

http://www.galwaynews.ie/6124-oranmore-train-station-could-remove-65-thousand-commuters
    ORANMORE TRAIN STATION COULD REMOVE 65 THOUSAND COMMUTERS

January 7, 2009 - 12:36pm 65 thousand commuters could be taken off Galway roads if plans progress for a new railway station in Oranmore.

Galway County Council has located a site in Gurraun for the proposed stopover on the Athenry to Galway commuter rail service.

According to Galway West TD Noel Grealish, approximately 65 thousand vehicles travel on the N6, the Oranmore Coast Road and the R339 from Carnmore into Galway city each day.

Proposals for a new railway station at Oranmore have been in the pipeline for years and it's now hoped that the project can be moved forward.

Deputy Grealish says that letters have been sent to the Department of Transport and CIE.

Shocking journalism! They totally misinterpreted what Grealish was saying and then they demonstrated a complete lack of knowledge about the topic.

There are 95,000 vehicles per day on all the Eastern approach routes combined. So 65,000 vehicles per day could be right for the approach roads in the Oranmore area. However, it is 32,500 x 2 (in and out); it is not 65,000 x 2.

But even saying "32,500 commuters could be taken off Galway roads when Oranmore station is built" is totally crazy.
    Capacity: only 6 trains each way will stop at Oranmore so that would work out 5,416 people on every train!!There are only going to be 100 parking spaces at the station.
    The train is not going to suit many people (destination, timetable/frequency, cost).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Would it really have been difficult for them to built this near the old station where it could serve the industrial estate, pedestrians the motorway and dual carriageway better? I remember saying it was due to too much traffic on the Claregalway road. That road is perfectly fine for a station as far as i can see.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.279082,-8.925042&spn=0.001921,0.005681&t=f&z=18&ecpose=53.27908217,-8.92504227,471.78,-14.103,0,0

Ugh I suppose we'll be lucky if anything actually gets built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

These guys will see no consequences to any failed projects so they don't give a damn if its the best option or not as they'll just blame "insert random excuse"

• Advertisement

It got a good few objections in the garraun south location as it would give very little benefit to pedestrians and very little incentive over taking the bus in as you'd have to walk a fairly long way from the village. So many people wanted it located behind the city limits complex where there is ample space on irishrail owned land and provision for a passing loop if needed. The council had objected to plans for a park and ride going there a few years ago on 3 occasions and objected to a train station there because of the level crossing and "too many passing cars" on the road adjacent. Jesus christ that's actually something would allow a station here to prosper but nooooooooo! instead we'll put it in a place where it'll benefit the least amount of people...... are Galway planners actually soft in the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Yes, the same madness afflicts them as Irish Rail

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

yer man! wrote: »
    ... objected to a train station there because of the level crossing ... that's actually something would allow a station here to prosper but nooooooooo!

In fairness, because the crossing is so close to that land, the gates would probably have to stay down the entire time that a train was in the station. I think I've seen a bit of giving out due to similar things in some Dublin stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hoff1

any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭otterj

Heard it was supposed to be opening in october?

• Advertisement

God knows when they'll actually start this. The land is still being used for grazing by the farmer. I think the site notice was taken away a while ago too.

Anyone have any news on this station? Leo varadkar mentioned that it is to be built on prime time yesterday and there's funding for it. Seems to be taking a ridiculous amount of time to find a tender....

http://www.nuachtchlair.com/oranmore-train-station-to-stay-on-track/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Anyone have any news on this station? Leo varadkar mentioned that it is to be built on prime time yesterday and there's funding for it. Seems to be taking a ridiculous amount of time to find a tender....

Tenders take a long time, they're usually open 6 weeks or more and can take several weeks/months to come to decisions, depending on various factors (e.g. no. applications, funding etc).

Anyhow to the news - according to the galwayindo
    Plans for new train stations for Oranmore and Crusheen are still on track, with construction set to begin later in the year.

While doubts had been raised over the future of the stations on the Western Rail Corridor, a spokesperson for the Department of Transport confirmed this week that funding was still in place for the project under the Exchequer Capital Investment Framework 2012-2016.

Iarnród Éireann has now assumed responsibility for the two projects and with planning permission granted for both new stations, construction is expected to begin in Oranmore later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fissureseal

antoobrien wrote: »

Tenders take a long time, they're usually open 6 weeks or more and can take several weeks/months to come to decisions, depending on various factors (e.g. no. applications, funding etc).

Anyhow to the news - according to the galwayindo
    Plans for new train stations for Oranmore and Crusheen are still on track, with construction set to begin later in the year.

While doubts had been raised over the future of the stations on the Western Rail Corridor, a spokesperson for the Department of Transport confirmed this week that funding was still in place for the project under the Exchequer Capital Investment Framework 2012-2016.

Iarnród Éireann has now assumed responsibility for the two projects and with planning permission granted for both new stations, construction is expected to begin in Oranmore later this year.

I see on the advertiser that fencing off of the area for the train station is supposed to start soon , wonder does this mean that finally a sod will be turned on the project or is it yet another false dawn??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Once the train service is put in place, how will commuters get out to the likes of Ballybrit, Parkmore, NUIG, GMIT and Dangan?

The current bus service isn't good enough....

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Once the train service is put in place, how will commuters get out to the likes of Ballybrit, Parkmore, NUIG, GMIT and Dangan?

The current bus service isn't good enough....

The bus to Parkmore (which covers parts of Ballybiry & GMIT) is probably the best one in Galway. Not saying much is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Nah guys, it's already open. See? Proof, Internet-style:

J3ExY.png

...how embarrassing for you not to know that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

And the fact that the station is further away from Oranmore than the original station doesn't inspire much confidence.

Well, there seems to be some activity on the site now, some diggers and fencing equipment, could it be that a train station is actually going to be built......?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Most of the groundwork is done and the platform is in place.

Its a good bit further out from Oranmore than I initially thought it would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's nothing short of a joke to be honest.
    Whoever is responsible for it needs to be asked some serious questions as to why its nowhere near the village.

It's akin to Ryanair saying their airport is in "paris".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Is it the site on the left as you go out the coast road before Oranmore?

They'll want to make fares competitive as it's so close to town so savings on petrol will be minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Yep. It's a good 15 minutes walk from the Orantown Centre. A little far out for the majority of commuters, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Yep. It's a good 15 minutes walk from the Orantown Centre. A little far out for the majority of commuters, in my opinion.

True - its probably more suitable for bikes and car's rather than pedestrians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Wouldn't the idea be that people from the area could drive to the station, park and ride into town, in fairness?

Most train stations in Ireland are about 10-15 minutes walk from the town centre anyway.

The council got a grant to have cycle lanes from the station to the centre of the village so that's something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Seaneh wrote: »
    Wouldn't the idea be that people from the area could drive to the station, park and ride into town, in fairness?

Most train stations in Ireland are about 10-15 minutes walk from the town centre anyway.

I would have though that too. I just hope they have the sense to have a proper sized car park there!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

What will they charge for parking for the day though? Presume it will be at least €5 and the return fare will probably be in excess of €6. It will be cheaper to drive into town and pay for parking.

finlma wrote: »
    What will they charge for parking for the day though? Presume it will be at least €5 and the return fare will probably be in excess of €6. It will be cheaper to drive into town and pay for parking.

If it's operated under the parkbytext scheme it will be €2 per day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Seaneh wrote: »

I may stand corrected for Oranmore station but I used occasionally get the train from Ardrahan and you have to pay for car parking at the stations.

To whoever in Irish Rail thought that one up, you're an idiot.

Advertisement