Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oranmore train station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It was available as an online fare on certain days.

Ahh, I must have just tried the wrong days, the ones I looked at had no on-line availability.

My prediction (ref: http://news.galwaytransport.info/2013/07/oranmore-railway-station-opening-and-how-to-get-there.html ) is standard fares of:
    • Adult single: €5.70
    • Adult day return: €8.60
    AKA .. the final nail in the coffin for Oranmore Station (as if another one was needed).

Also notice that this opening is accompanied by some timetable changes .. all journeys take a few mintues longer, some Galway to Dublin ones are leaving 1/2 hour earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ahh, I must have just tried the wrong days, the ones I looked at had no on-line availability.

My prediction (ref: http://news.galwaytransport.info/2013/07/oranmore-railway-station-opening-and-how-to-get-there.html ) is standard fares of:
    AKA .. the final nail in the coffin for Oranmore Station (as if another one was needed).

Also notice that this opening is accompanied by some timetable changes .. all journeys take a few mintues longer, some Galway to Dublin ones are leaving 1/2 hour earlier.

That's crazy, people can get 4 hours on-street or multi-storey car parking for the price of a return ticket, and a full day parking for less in some car parks. No incentive to leave the car at home...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I was hoping to be able to use it to get to work (I must be one of very few who works in Oranmore and lives in the city), but not at that price. Back to the €5.50 bus, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

together with the failing Ennis\Limerick fiasco (http://galwayindependent.com/20130724/news/all-aboard-S21817.html), it's hard to feel any love or pride for Irish Rail.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This whole thing is a complete white elephant to be honest (I am predicting that even before it is open) and it's you and me that will pay for it, whether we use it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

That's pretty steep. Will take less than 10 minutes though, providing trains turn up on time.
    What about the monthly or yearly tax saver tickets? Presume they are the only tickets that will offer any sort of value? What would the equivalent pricing be if comparing with other fare's similar to Oranmore to Galway City?
    I presume the Car parking at the station will be free?

I presume the Car parking at the station will be free?

They haven't said, but I doubt it: car-parking prices at other stations thru the country have just gone up by 1yoyo per day.

Am hoping that some intrepid boardsie might be out there on Sunday, and let us know what the place looks like:
    • Is there any shelter for waiting passengers?
    • Is parking free?
    • Anything else interesting?

I had thought about getting a return tix out there on Sunday ... but for those sorts of prices, I don't wanna know that much!

They haven't said, but I doubt it: car-parking prices at other stations thru the country have just gone up by 1yoyo per day.

Am hoping that some intrepid boardsie might be out there on Sunday, and let us know what the place looks like:
    • Is there any shelter for waiting passengers?
    • Is parking free?
    • Anything else interesting?

I had thought about getting a return tix out there on Sunday ... but for those sorts of prices, I don't wanna know that much!

Passed through on the train last Saturday afternoon. There are 2 (perhaps 3) shelters on the platform. Should provide shelter from those windy and rainy south westerly's we often get in Galway. Its a very scenic station - great views over Galway Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

opens today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

No shelter, ingenious.

It's almost like they are trying to make it fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

No shelter, ingenious.

It's almost like they are trying to make it fail
    I should have included this photo.

huggs2 wrote: »
    I should have included this photo.

Not expecting big numbers either......

What exactly was the point of this i wonder and how much has it cost?

Irish Rail's press-releases said that there would be shuttle buses running between the station and Ballybrit for Race Week. There's a clear invitatin to park in the 300-space carpark, and "park and ride".

But I haven't been able to find any more information about these: who's running them, times, prices etc. Just wondering if anyone has spotted anything - or indeed any buses from the carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

So if im from oranmore how do I get from the station to oranmore. Is there a bus?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

First person to spot a senator at the station (ticket optional) gets a prize.

So if im from oranmore how do I get from the station to oranmore. Is there a bus?

You drive, ride your bicycle, or walk along the hard shoulder.

No.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Be nice if I could afford to use the service, guts of 8 Euro return to Galway...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Bit of a ridiculous price. Hurts me enough to hand over the €5.50 return on the bus, no way am I doing the €8.60.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

was at the opening, good crowd at it. The mayor of galway asked IR to look at their prices to make sure they were affordable so the station would be used. Apparently with a monthly saver ticket it works out at €1.70 per day, not sure how true that is. its a far cry from the 8.60 as it stands currently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The audacity of that one to show up at the opening of a train station after her stunt last year with not having a ticket.

Honestly. What universe is she in?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Nice photobomb!

kraggy wrote: »
    The audacity of that one to show up at the opening of a train station after her stunt last year with not having a ticket.

Honestly. What universe is she in?

She must have been reading this thread. Thought a prize was on offer. See snubbleste post earlier.

Leo does not look the happiest in that photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Bit of a ridiculous price. Hurts me enough to hand over the €5.50 return on the bus, no way am I doing the €8.60.

Wow, that compares really badly with Connolly - Leixlip at 5.25 return (2.80 1 way cash fare).

Day single or return is expensive alright.

Weekly ticket is €29.00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Day single or return is expensive alright.

Weekly ticket is €29.00

Still bloody expensive, especially with no PT access so one realistically has to drive/get a lift/cab there.

was at the opening, good crowd at it. The mayor of galway asked IR to look at their prices to make sure they were affordable so the station would be used. Apparently with a monthly saver ticket it works out at €1.70 per day, not sure how true that is. its a far cry from the 8.60 as it stands currently.
    I wonder where they get that daily figure from, 1.70 a day isnt very reflective if it is based on a 7 day week.

I think the whole thing is a ripoff to be honest, both the building and the cost of the tickets.

The money could have been spent far better elsewhere.

Its only good value if you get the Monthly or the Annual(Tax Free) tickets.

Mayor on the GalwayBayFM yesterday morning said the Car Parking(run by the Galway City Council) will be free - if there is good demand I say they will start charging for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

She must have been reading this thread. Thought a prize was on offer. See snubbleste post earlier.

Leo does not look the happiest in that photo.

What cash strapped minister would be happy to pay for an unnecessary station that cuts a whopping 10 minutes off journey times, is overpriced, will be under utilized and more than likely closed within 10 years.
    On top of that, having to stand beside a woman with (imho) a face like a freshly slapped arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A monthly ticket costs €111.

If that is bought under the taxsaver scheme (www.taxsaver.ie) the ticket will effectively cost €53.28 if the purchaser pays tax at the higher rate.

That translates to €1.72 per day for a month of 31 days.

Advertisement