Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a loan to work abroad

Options
  • 12-04-2011 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am about to finish college and want to apply for a graduate loan so that I can go to the US on a grad visa. I have a decent history with my bank and have fully repaid all of my loans over the past few years as a student. However I assume the bank will ask why I am applying for the loan and when I tell them it is to go abroad they will most likely look for an employer reference.

I am returning to the same city I have previously worked in and I will be able to find work there again but will not have work until I arrive there and actually find a job. I'm worried they will reject my application on the basis that I do not have a job lined up over there. I currently have a job here in Ireland which I will be working full time at in June so I do actually have proof of income and if I was to apply for this loan and staying in the country I'm sure there would be no problem. So I am thinking perhaps my best chance of getting approved of a graduate loan is to say nothing about going abroad for the year?

I'm not trying to scam the bank or anything and obviously I will be repaying the loan the same as if I was at home but I just think my chances of getting the loan would be quite slim without a job lined up in the states. The loan amount I am seeking is about 3k so I guess I could just tell them it is for other personal purposes. Anyway just wondering if anybody has been in a similar position where they were looking for a loan to work abroad?

Thanks

Advertisement