Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Sites\News\Industry insights?

Options
  • 12-04-2011 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

Was just wondering would anyone have any suggestions on what are your go-to sites for general gaming and industry news?

Mine are (RSS feeds)

Kotaku.
    Destructoid.

And Games TM magazine.

Any others?

Cheers

PS: If this has been done before, my apologies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

thegamingliberty has a facebook page and twitter as well, handy for news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I usually read Game Informer for multi-platform news and Rock, Paper, Shotgun for PC focused news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For japanese industry news then the WAHP podcast on www.wahp.jp is the best place to go.

Other than what has been mentioned I like 1up.com and their podcasts, particularly retronauts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

gamesindustry.biz is good for interviews with industry types and some more 'behind the scenes' type coverage. Sometimes MCVuk.com is good.

For general stuff I love Joystiq. Their podcast is really good too, pretty funny although a little bit polemic at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

cvg.co.uk is ususally prompt and the first with relevant news - they do post a lot of pap on slow-days tho - they also have a habit of giving their articles really provocative titles when they might just contain walls of text/old news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No Eurogamer love? They do a lot of updates a day (new stuff on RSS feed every time I look) and their podcast is really good these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

I like the shacknews podcast and generally use a combination of 1up, eurogamer, kotaku and ntsc-uk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Gamasutra is great for general industry news.

Destructoid contains Jim Sterling and can therefore foad. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr E wrote: »
    No Eurogamer love? They do a lot of updates a day (new stuff on RSS feed every time I look) and their podcast is really good these days.

Good articles and sometimes reviews but their news is usually terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Generally the majority of sites just re word the press releases they get from PR. Little or no "news" on any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sink wrote: »
    I usually read Game Informer for multi-platform news and Rock, Paper, Shotgun for PC focused news.

I like gameinformer alot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hey guys thanks a mil for all the links. I'm just trying to approach gaming not just as a hobby but as something a little more serious. (Why so srs?).

I'm looking to read up and understand the concept\design\publishing aspects a bit more and those sites will help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Mostly read siliconera for Japanese news. Still go to destructoid but they don't have as many good features or writers as they used too. That might change with Chad Concelmo being the new features editor though. The podcast RetroforceGo! that they used to run was a real gem. The links are in the sites forum and still worth a listen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Gaming Liberty (Irish) are doing a great job. They always have the latest news on facebook and have some great interviews. Them and CVG are the best gaming news sites at the moment. Kotaku is gone to shiit with that new web design. Also Bone-Idle are another good Irish gaming news website who have a sister site gameswap.ie to swap your old games instead of trading them in shops.

But Gametrailers is the one I go for when I need a definitive review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

none of the above

gamepolitics.com
    gamespress.com
    gamesindustry.biz

pretty much where all the other stories come from

then there's our own, which we've just gone live with and are going to be ramping up in the coming weeks, http://www.clickonline.com

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Helix wrote: »
    then there's our own, which we've just gone live with and are going to be ramping up in the coming weeks, http://www.clickonline.com

Very nice lads! I liked the LA Noire preview!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Nobody mentioned neoGAF? I usually stumble across news on there before it shows up in most of the other sites. (as a plus it's also pretty funny - for example the Dragon Age II Official Thread - Revenge of Sh1t Mountain.)

Downside is that sometimes total crap gets posted, but it's usually slammed as a rumour pretty quickly.

Advertisement