Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone recommend a good play kitchen?

Options
  • 12-04-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Title says it all really. Looking for a play kitchen about mid range price (Don't really want to spend over about E70). We would like something not too flimsy too, I know some kitchens have cardboard parts!

Any ideas of good ones or ones to avoid?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Early Learning Centre have a great one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Got this for my two year old at Christmas.

The only cardboard parts are the "play food boxes" and it makes sizzling sounds. She loves making me tea and dinner on it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I highly recommend -
    http://www.elc.co.uk/Sizzlin%27-Kitchen-with-Accessories/122019,default,pd.html

My daughter loves it.
    It is pretty indestructible and has no flimsy plastic or cardboard bits.

For an older child the Ikea wooden one is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Got this one for our 2year old at christmas.
    http://www.elc.co.uk/Red-Retro-Kitchen/118447,default,pd.html
    dw_badge_template1?&$badge2=MothercareASE%2Fdw_badge_Star_Buy&$badge1size=1%2C0&$product=MothercareASE%2F118447_1&$dw_large_elc$
    She loves it, plays with it most days.

Its wooden, and comes flat packed.
    Absolutely amazing build quality, would rival some of the other actual real furniture flat packs Ive bought from Argos & Ikea over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

My child's pre-school have this play kitchen for the last three years and it has held up very well to rough play. It costs €99 but the pre-school staff say that it well worth it.

D07288_M.jpg

http://www.toys.ie/Tefal-Excellence-Kitchen-!D07288-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=030068c9-6054-470f-a737-23396650aacc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Hi Greystoner - I run ToysOnline.ie and Woodentoys.ie. Here are some of our kitchens wooden kitchens which would all be delivered free:

maxi-cuisine-05623.jpg&w=200&h=256
    Janod Maxi Cooker Kitchen Play Set JD5623
    €99.99

petite_cuisine.jpg&w=200&h=200
    La Petite Cuisine 1272
    €84.45

DJ06544.jpg&w=200&h=247
    Ze Kitchen by Djeco DJ06544
    €74.99

[img]http://www.toysonline.ie/imagemagic.php?img=images/ST464 - Al-in-one Kitchen 2.jpg&w=200&h=215[/img]
    All in One Kitchen BigJigs ST464
    €159.99

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can highly recommend the ones in Imaginarium, got this one for Rory at Christmas and she adores it:

49858_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I got my son the one from Ikea for Christmas and its class. Similar to the wodden ones above. Very sturdy and hard wearing, lots of little cupboards and things to play with.

I think the wooden ones are generally better IMO. My sister has bought plastic ones and they just break too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Thanks everyone. I would have loved to have bought a wooden one, but way out of our budget!

In the end I looked at a few and the ELC/Sizzlin' one was the one we went for. It is also reduced price at the mo; E67.20 instead of E84.00, so even better. I had 9 kids ages 2 to 6 playing with it today and it is still totally intact!

Would recommend. My kids love it and have played with it almost constantly since we had it. But they also have enjoyed playing with the box just as much. Typical!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I know this thread is over 2 years old, so I hope you don't mind me bumping it.

My boy is into his 'cooking' big time now, so I've been looking around for a play kitchen. Ideally I'd like to get him something sturdy that would last for years like the Ikea one as the little sister can use it later on. The price has reduced from €100 down to €80. However, I still need to fork out another few more quid for the pots and pans and pretendy food.

But I was at ELC yesterday looking at the different little things that I can get to make up a kitchen, and just use an extra tv unit that we have as the counter:
    Also found an oven cooker at Smyths for €9.99. The only thing is, not mad about the amount of batteries that go with these items, plus at the end of the day, they're plastic.

I do shop around for used ones online too, but either I'd miss out on the bid/offer, or they're not near where I am.
    I'm also tempted to build one but then again my DIY skills are pretty pathetic.

What do you think? Should I go with the Ikea one or buy them in bits? I wouldn't want to spend more than €100 for everything.

• Advertisement

Smyths would have kitchen sets of plastic pots and pans, cups and saucers and play food etc. for about €20. Rory has this one with her kitchen: http://www.smythstoys.com/kitchens-household-44sc/my-tea-set-103901itm.aspx?qwSessionID=ded396a6-e177-4789-82fb-2690776d70a9

Add that to one of the wooden kitchen units (either the one I got in Imaginarium or the Ikea one) and there's plenty there for him to play with.

Remember: most of these things have limited counter and storage space so, as often as not, the extra kettles, toasters, etc. won't have anywhere to be neatly tidied away after playtime and usually require batteries etc.

Sleepy, any sign of your Rory getting tired of her kitchen, and want to get rid of it? Think of me, please :) The Imaginarium kitchen is great.

Afraid not, she's had it over 2 1/2 years now and it still gets played with most days.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Afraid not, she's had it over 2 1/2 years now and it still gets played with most days.

Didn't think so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

We have the Ikea one and honestly it is worth it. I have a 5 year old, a 4 year old and a 1.5 year old, they all play with it every single day. We have a LOT of toys, but, this is easily the most played with toy we have.

Finally found a preloved Little Tikes Country Kitchen from donedeal with mountains of play food and accessories. Sturdy piece this one is. Kids have been at it for hours!

th_da2fa2dca31b275c28abbf5bd26ff5a5_zps68d38f5c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

We have the Ikea one and honestly it is worth it. I have a 5 year old, a 4 year old and a 1.5 year old, they all play with it every single day. We have a LOT of toys, but, this is easily the most played with toy we have.

Was just going to suggest it, bought it last week but haven't made it yet.
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/S49874533/
    But it's very sturdy and well made.

Advertisement