Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assessment of suitability

Options
  • 12-04-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All

Thank you in advance if anyone can help me out. my first and scond choice for next year is Social and Community Development and Applied Social Studies in Social Care. I have to do an assessment of suitability next week as im currently just finishing up my FETAC level 5.Please can someone put be on the right direction and tell me what to expect for this assessment? or any comments wll be greatful

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭CylonYoda

Hiya

If you're like me hopefully going in as a mature student I'm in the same boat, going in next Monday. From what I can gather it is a written assessment to show your comprehension skills. Apart from that I can't shed any more light on the subject but would be interested to hear what anyone else who has been through the process has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tansed

Same here going in as a mature student hopefully, so fingers crossed. mine is the 20th of April. I just wanted to see what people made of teh assessment.What you goign for yourself Cylon?
    CylonYoda wrote: »
    Hiya

If you're like me hopefully going in as a mature student I'm in the same boat, going in next Monday. From what I can gather it is a written assessment to show your comprehension skills. Apart from that I can't shed any more light on the subject but would be interested to hear what anyone else who has been through the process has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭CylonYoda

It will be Applied Social Studies in Social Care, good luck with everything and hope it goes well. I'm still interested to see if anybody else can shed some light on the process.

Same as myself im going for social and community development and applied social studies in social care. Good luck to you also i wish you well.
    CylonYoda wrote: »
    It will be Applied Social Studies in Social Care, good luck with everything and hope it goes well. I'm still interested to see if anybody else can shed some light on the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

I haven't been through this but AFAIK its a basic English comprehension test to ensure that you have a decent enough grasp of english to be able for the course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

There's an old thread on it here which also might provide some info:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055856451

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tangocbm

Hi,

I am currently in Applied Social Studies in Social Care in ITB. When I entered ITB as a mature student I was not required to undergo any such assessment. However, I am not surprised that it is now a requirement as it has been very evident from the level of both verbal and written work that basic english and comprehension have been a challenge for many students, both those who have english as their first language and those that do not.
    The latter category are required on entry to submit some certification that they have a certain level of english. I suspect that the college has been losing confidence in some of these certificates for some time as the feedback from lecturers who have had to review and grade students work has probably not been very complimentary.

If your standard of written english including sentence case and grammar is reasonable and you can speak and understand english well then I do not think you should be unduly worried by this assessment.

Thanks for that. I went to the open day yesterday and I was very impressed with the place. I was also told how large the competition is for places, the woman said that last year 900 applied for the Social Care and only 120 were taken on with 10% mature students. Fingers crossed the assessement goes well and ill just take it from there. Tangocbm, how are you finding the college and the course overall?

Thanks a mill

tangocbm wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently in Applied Social Studies in Social Care in ITB. When I entered ITB as a mature student I was not required to undergo any such assessment. However, I am not surprised that it is now a requirement as it has been very evident from the level of both verbal and written work that basic english and comprehension have been a challenge for many students, both those who have english as their first language and those that do not.
    The latter category are required on entry to submit some certification that they have a certain level of english. I suspect that the college has been losing confidence in some of these certificates for some time as the feedback from lecturers who have had to review and grade students work has probably not been very complimentary.

If your standard of written english including sentence case and grammar is reasonable and you can speak and understand english well then I do not think you should be unduly worried by this assessment.

Advertisement