Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb advice.

Options
  • 12-04-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

So I'm a 20 year old student and the most advanced thing I can cook is pasta.
    For my Easter dinner I want to treat myself to some super nice lamb but have no idea about anything it would seem.
    Please help.
    What cut of lamb should I be getting?... How do I cook it?... What should accompany it?
    Please help me make an actual meal for once.
    :o:o:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Joint of lamb is very pricey! if not a lot of people, I choose a shoulder of lamb and stick loads of garlic into same with point of knife to make a slit and slivers of garlic pushed in. Roast in oven and serve with mint sauce. Not a lot of meat on it and can be hard to carve but not so expensive.

Another dish I like is Moroccan Lamb with lamb pieces that are reasonable price. It has loads of spices and done slowly in a cassarole.

Or just get very nice lamb chop (sideloin?) and grill same with garlic again.

Butcher is good for advice on cut and cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

I made this the other day. The recipe says two breasts of lamb serves six, so I just used one and it was enough for two of us and a little bit left over for lunch. I'm not mad about lamb but wanted to try it anyway and have to say it was quite flavoursome. It says to serve the roasted veg, i.e. fennel and onion, with the meat but to be honest they really took on the flavour of the lemon so even though I'm sure they inhance the flavour of the meat they weren't great as a seperate veg accompaniment...if that makes sense. I served it with couscous. Very easy to make.
    http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/429437/Hugh-Fearnley-Whittingstall-s-roast-lamb

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

One of my favourites is to spread lamb cutlets on both sides with dijon mustard and then press them onto a plate with brown sugar, getting a good coating of sugar onto them. Then you grill them until cooked - they taste amazing. They take 15-20 minutes under a medium heat depending on how well-cooked you like them. You can turn the heat up high for a minute or two at the end to caramelise the sugar/mustard if you need to.
    You could serve them with rosemary crushed potatoes - boil baby potatoes until tender, slightly crush them and drizzle with olive oil. Put them out onto a baking tray and sprinkle on salt and black pepper and a pinch of dried rosemary, or some chopped fresh rosemary leaves (and a crushed clove of garlic if you like). Roast at 200C for 20-30 minutes until crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

One of my favourites is to spread lamb cutlets on both sides with dijon mustard and then press them onto a plate with brown sugar, getting a good coating of sugar onto them. Then you grill them until cooked - they taste amazing. They take 15-20 minutes under a medium heat depending on how well-cooked you like them. You can turn the heat up high for a minute or two at the end to caramelise the sugar/mustard if you need to.
    You could serve them with rosemary crushed potatoes - boil baby potatoes until tender, slightly crush them and drizzle with olive oil. Put them out onto a baking tray and sprinkle on salt and black pepper and a pinch of dried rosemary, or some chopped fresh rosemary leaves (and a crushed clove of garlic if you like). Roast at 200C for 20-30 minutes until crisp.

that sounds amazing Dizzy will have to make that soon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I made this a few weeks ago and it was nice, but a bit sweet for me.

http://www.rte.ie/food/2011/0307/braisedlambshanks.html

I used blossom hill red wine.

I had no fresh thyme/rosemary so used some from a jar,

I left out the pearl onions, muscovado sugar and pearl barely, as I had none of them.

Advertisement