Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When is Fergie going to retire

• 12-04-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Or is going to stay at old trafford till he dies?

He's been there 25yrs now, he'll be 70 at the end of this year so surely the end is nigh.

The last time he announced his retirement he set a date and it was rumoured he lost the respect of the dressing room seeing that he wasn't going to be around the following season...so maybe this time he'll do it abruptly out of the blue.

what do you think.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He'll go out like Jock Stein.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The BBC wont be the first to break the story anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Its incredible the way hes been able to evolve along with the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

No rest for the wicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

stovelid wrote: »
    He'll go out like Jock Stein.

Except probably in the stand on account of his latest touchline ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Soon, We Hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No rest for the wicked.

money don't grow on trees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

He often retells the story of his father dying a year after retiring. Maybe there's a small bit of irrational fear of similar happening.

Hopefully he's there another decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

It'll be weird when he's gone. As long as I've watched football, he's been united manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Hopefully not for another few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

When he feels he has knocked Pool off their perch ! ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Paparazzo wrote: »
    It'll be weird when he's gone. As long as I've watched football, he's been united manager.

Snap wouldn't know what would be going on not seeing him there :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

When he completes the treble one more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The last time I saw him asked that question his reply was that retirment was for young people.

Thinking about it he's right, how many times do you hear of people dying shortly after retiring.

If he has any intention of retiring i'd imagine if he get 19 this year and wins another trophy, CL particularly it would be an opportune time to go out at the top. If he doesn't I think he'll be there as long as his health permits.

I hope thats for many years yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

In two years time, and Mourinho will take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

He won't.

He has stated many a time, that he will continue to manage at Old Trafford as long as he is in good health and he is enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Hope the auld fart croaks on the touchline during one of his rants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

double GG wrote: »
    He won't.

He has stated many a time, that he will continue to manage at Old Trafford as long as he is in good health and he is enjoying it.

And I thought he was a human being

I can see him taking up some sort of sort of ambassador role for the club when hes finished managing. Hes not the retirement kind of man, hell want to be working until the day he dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I can see him taking up some sort of sort of ambassador role for the club when hes finished managing. Hes not the retirement kind of man, hell want to be working until the day he dies.
    He has said when he finishes managing utd he will walk away from the club. A fresh start for the club and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I really thought he'd leave at the end of this season, but his recent comments say otherwise. I'd say he'll stay so long as his team are in contention for winning trophies, which looks like being a long time, unfortunately. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

His latest barb aimed at that cop Payne was juvenile and contemptuous. Is he being taken in by the footballing blinkers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

If utd win the treble this season then...what a way to bow out.

And then he'll return next summer to manage the british Olympic team in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

His latest barb aimed at that cop Payne was juvenile and contemptuous. Is he being taken in by the footballing blinkers?

I had no problem with it - the cop was just trying to get his name in the paper, claiming Rooney would have been locked up for swearing - yeah fcuking right he would have been. Fergie was bang on, no chance Rooney would have been locked up for that, you see worse every single night in every single city. The cop was trying to make a name for himself and score some cheap points; and Fergie called him on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

fryup wrote: »
    If utd win the treble this season then...what a way to bow out.

And then he'll return next summer to manage the british Olympic team in London.
    WOuld be the perfect way to go out, but I still am not sure that he would. He's always saying that he'd just be bored if he wasn't involved with the team, and that he wants to stay as long as his health is good. I don't think that the desire for another treble is what motivates him. He might be tempted because it's not something that happens often, but I could still see him staying on after.

Some classy posts in here. :rolleyes: nice to see football transcending humanity, lemons.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the United dugout in 5 years time. He looks healthy, he looks fit and he looks full of energy. He's a "young" 70 so to speak. The way he marches down the touchline, the way he speaks etc, he doesn't look like an old man to me at all.

The man is an absolute legend. Love him or hate him, what he has done and achieved, is irreplicable IMO. And any attempt to discredit that makes you look a gigantic moron. He will be a massive loss to the game when he finally steps down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

He has another record to break....oldest Premiership manager. 2 more years and he'll be older than the late great Bobby Robson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He will only be missed by United fans

Cause the rest hope when he goes United will struggle. Hated mostly cause he is a winner, just like Man United itself.

Hated, Adored, Never Ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

obviously.

but deep down, even I, a man who loathes him for what he's been able to do with my club's great rivals, will always have the utmost respect for his ability and achievements.

Mourinho annoyed the fúck out of me...i miss him now.

Ferguson's been around as long as i've known football. whether i'll want to admit it or not when it happens; there'll be a part of me that misses him.

what i will enjoy, is what happens post-Ferguson. not that i think Utd will necessarily go into decline, but i'll be fascinated with how their psychology changes with the new manager. will that never say die attitude remain? will a new manager have the courage to stick 6 up front in a bit to win a game?

the big thing is too, the new manager won't have the likes of Giggs, who, and this sounds a little ridiculous as i say it, will probably be as irreplaceable as Fergie.

but to answer the OP's question....basically when his health won't allow it. for one, he knows his wife will hate him if he goes home, and i reckon Ferguson knows he'll struggle to live without football, and specifically Old Trafford.

I reckon the new manager will be Jose Mourinho, and United's winning mentality will remain (whether we remain winning or not though....).

Mourinho will also be coaching a United side with a lot of players signed up to his agent - so that will be similar to Fergie for years too (!!) but that is another conspiracy theory for another day/thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

He will keep going as long as his health allows.

He has said this many times over the last couple of years so I have no reason not to believe him.

He is the type of person that wants to win as much as he can for as long as he can.

As for the dumbass comments of a few,jealousy is an ugly trait but as it goes.

Haters-Gonna-Hate-Baby-Smoking-Pipe.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I blame Mark Robins for all this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its seem him becoming the next Bobby Charlton. He'll become a senior director there or chairman or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

I'm not too sure on Mourinho managing Utd, Yes he is great manager who has won numerous trophies etc but is he a long term appointment? I don't think so IMO if he was to win the treble he'd get bored and jet of to another top club after a few seasons. When Fergie finally calls it a day we need someone long term not someone who is going to upsticks at the first call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fergie will go whenever he darn pleases. For me, I want him to stay as long as he can. Once his health is an issue, I fully expect Mourinho to up and jump ship as quickly as he can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

dont know, dont care

godtabh wrote: »
    Its seem him becoming the next Bobby Charlton. He'll become a senior director there or chairman or something

I doubt it massively. He said before that he felt that the presence of Busby around the place after he'd finished managing the club was detrimental to the succesive managers. I think he'd be wise enough to know to maintain a distance.

No he wont. Im not a Man United fan but I never want him to leave. I hate Wenger but I dont want him to leave either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I wouldn't be surprised if he did so out of the blue after another season or 2. I just hope Mourinho stays away from Old Trafford, he's the ideal candidate to attempt to fill his shoes, I really can't see too many others coping with the pressure.

• Advertisement

Essien wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if he did so out of the blue after another season or 2. I just hope Mourinho stays away from Old Trafford, he's the ideal candidate to attempt to fill his shoes, I really can't see too many others coping with the pressure.

Thats my thinking on Mourinho too.

I think Mourinho and Pep are the two outstanding candidates (both seem like they would want the job going by what they have said).

Mourinho would be the safer choice - Pep would be a bit of a gamble (not massively) but I reckon he would be the best choice when it comes to using and getting the most out of prospects like Pogba, Morrison and Tunnicliffe.

Could well end up being someone like Coyle.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hodgson for Man Utd please.

:p

Could well end up being someone like Coyle.

I hear this mentioned a lot. Names like Coyle, Moyes and a few years ago O'Neill. I just can't take them seriously as successors to Alex Ferguson, maybe I'm being very short sighted but I think it has to be a massive name in football and right now Mourinho is the stand out candidate for me.

I don't know what to make of Pep, he's blessed with the strongest club side I've ever seen but is he doing something with them that another elite manager could do just as well? Also, how well would he do at a club that he doesn't know inside and out like Barcelona?

I'm not doubting him, but the fact remains that Mourinho has delivered major trophies to every club he's managed. The only time he's failed is against this Barca side who are, like I already said, the strongest side I've ever seen. It could certainly be considered exceptional circumstances.

5starpool wrote: »
    Hodgson for Man Utd please.

:p

Or Rafa, if only to see how The Muppet would take it. :)

Essien wrote: »
    I hear this mentioned a lot. Names like Coyle, Moyes and a few years ago O'Neill. I just can't take them seriously as successors to Alex Ferguson, maybe I'm being very short sighted but I think it has to be a massive name in football and right now Mourinho is the stand out candidate for me.

I don't know what to make of Pep, he's blessed with the strongest club side I've ever seen but is he doing something with them that another elite manager could do just as well? Also, how well would he do at a club that he doesn't know inside and out like Barcelona?

I'm not doubting him, but the fact remains that Mourinho has delivered major trophies to every club he's managed. The only time he's failed is against this Barca side who are, like I already said, the strongest side I've ever seen. It could certainly be considered exceptional circumstances.

I agree - I have said similar on Pep. How much is down to him and how much is down to having arguably the best player in their position in nearly every position.

However, it should also be pointed out that Xavi and Iniesta have improved a lot since he became manager. Messi is a football-freak so I don't think there is much congrats for Pep there. However, look at his use of Pedro and Busquets - neither were consider all that good in terms of potential but he has stuck with them when rumours are he was being offered (and allowed to sign) bigger 'brighter' names and Pedro and Busquets have repaid that faith 10fold.

Also look at the way he has them playing - much of what barca do is fairly basic to be honest - massive work ethic and great team work, win the ball back early and press the opposition; that could be applied (imo) to any team and any team would benefit - just need the fitness and attitude to do it. Granted the awesomeness of the movement and passing game would be a lot harder to replicate (!!) but I would think a team like United would be good enough at passing that it wouldn't destroy the ethos of philosophy of the gameplan. Again, it is the pressing and hunting that makes Barca so hard to play against imo.

as pointed to earlier, I would also have more faith in Pep to bring players like Pogba, Morrison and Tunnicliffe through (and give them a chance) than I would Mourinho - and that is something I feel should be important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd say there is some time left in him tbh.

As he says himself he has set the club in a way with reliable people that he can delegate alot of tasks so he doesn't have such an energy drain as he had maybe 5-10 years ago.

Most days when you see him hes just sitting in the dugout anyway, letting Phelan do the sideline shouting.

I'd say if he gets the treble or double this season, it will be more of a drive then a bow out moment.

Personally I feel he will be there till Mourinho decides to come on board, where a personal man to man chat will seal the deal.

Mourinho has always said that his ultimate goal is to build a Dynasty at a club like Sir Alex Ferguson, what better way then to do it at the same club.

I'd also say hes the type of manager United have been waiting for to take over, as many a good manager the is around these days there are VERY few who would be up to the task of taken over the reigns from Ferguson and keep the club competitive duirng the transitional period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Drumpot wrote: »
    When he feels he has knocked Pool off their perch ! ! :D

I think that there is a fair bit of truth in this.

If Liverpool had managed to win the league in 2008/09, and gone two league titles ahead of United, then I think he would have retired within a season as he would have needed three league titles to overtake Liverpool.

But if, as looks likely, he guides United to their 19th league title this season, then I think he will push for one more season to try and get that two title lead over Liverpool.

One thing that is for sure about the man, love him or loathe him, is that unlike many managers who have a lot of crap spoken about them being great managers and true legends of the English game, Ferguson will sit amongst a very small number of managers who actually deserve the praise that goes their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

When he wins 19 titles and passes Liverpools record .

Then we will win it again next season and make it 19 all.
    Then again we will win it for the next couple of decades and dominate english football like we have before SKY invented the game .wink.gif

Hate the fella but have nothing but admiration for his succeess and capacity to keep changing as the game evolves.

Cant go quick enough but.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mixednuts wrote: »
    When he wins 19 titles and passes Liverpools record .

Then we will win it again next season and make it 19 all.
    Then again we will win it for the next couple of decades and dominate english football like we have before SKY invented the game .wink.gif

Hate the fella but have nothing but admiration for his succeess and capacity to keep changing as the game evolves.

Cant go quick enough but.

You found the right thread this time I see. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I can't see him retiring directly, but will probably stay on an MUFC in some kind of 'upstairs' role, or possibly take the Scotland job. I don't think he'll be manager in say 4 years. 5 would really be pushing it.

Giggs & Scholes will probably retire before him, and when they leave I can't see him wanting to oversee the next generation's development.

• Advertisement
Advertisement