Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Pet Mania good for fish?

• 12-04-2011 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Its been a while since I've been there, but I'm sure its still operating. By the old Smyth's right? Anyway, decided that I'd get a fish (got the cash, and I know what fish I'm going to get.).

So, I was wondering, are Pet Mania good for fish? Do they sell fish playthings, like gravel, fake plants, and tanks, etc, or is there a better pet shop around?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

No, avoid like the plague. They are useless. Last time I was in there they had about 100 fish in a little tank and there were a pile of dead fish in with them. Go to maguires, they have a good selection and they are healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Most of the staff know next to nothing about animals never mind fish. Theres a short woman who does know her stuff alright. They are grand for acessories though, just not live fish. Go to maguires if you can though, his fish are in so much better condition and his knowledge is second to none.

If you have to buy fish from Pet Mania, go in tuesday or wednesday evening. They get fish deliverys thursdays/fridays so if the fish are still alive by the following tuesday/wednesday they are hardy enough. Look for dead fish in the tank (you wont see ANY in maguires) to see if they have any visible disease or decay and if so avoid that tank. Its not worth the hassle of a sick fish. Google the fish you want and check for common diseases so you know what to look for.

Also dont believe a thing they tell you about stocking/cycling the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 petmania

In response to this post, we wish to assure all customers of our 100% commitment to our livestock welfare. Each of our stores, including Waterford, has an OATA Trained fish expert in store and our tanks are maintained to the highest standards.

The information referenced here is inaccurate, and those seeking clarification of our store standards are urged to visit the store to make up their own mind.

If at that stage you have a concern, you are urged to bring it to the attention of the manager on duty so that we can work to addressing it and ensuring the long term welfare of our livestock, and our ongoing customer service.

For those considering buying a fish tank, we have at this time a number of exceptionally good value tanks and cabinets on special offer, and our fish expert will be delighted to assist you in finding the right aquarium and the right fish, to commence your exciting journey into fish keeping.

Thank you for your interest in Petmania, and we look forward to seeing you in store soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

petmania wrote: »
    In response to this post, we wish to assure all customers of our 100% commitment to our lifestock welfare. Each of our stores, including Waterford, has an OATA Trained fish expert in store and our tanks are maintained to the highest standards.

The information referenced here is inaccurate, and those seeking clarification of our store standards are urged to visit the store to make up their own mind.

If at that stage you have a concern, you are urged to bring it to the attention of the manager on duty so that we can work to addressing it and ensuring the long term welfare of our livestock, and our ongoing customer service.

For those considering buying a fish tank, we have at this time a number of exceptionally good value tanks and cabinets on special offer, and our fish expert will be delighted to assist you in finding the right aquarium and the right fish, to commence your exciting journey into fish keeping.

Thank you for your interest in Petmania, and we look forward to seeing you in store soon.
    So you are calling him a liar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 petmania

We stand over the quality of our livestock, the training our staff receive, and the level of service we offer.

We also appreciate feedback from our customers, but it is most effective when brought to the attention of our store managers so that it can be acted upon as necessary. It is in this way that we can continue to deliver improvements in store standards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Borak

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll have a look at both shops, probably Petmania first, since I have no clue where MaGuires is.

Also, do any of the shops stock shrimp, preferably cherry shrimp? Not too picky on the selection fish, but more picky about the tank. Going to need a big one to house 10 cherry shrimp, neon and glowlight tetra's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

I was told that when Petmania opened up first that they had no staff assigned to looking after the fish but this is all changed now and they're supposed to be trained now.
    One of my mates is big into collecting fish and years ago he wouldn't go near petmania but he's said they have their act together now and they know their stuff so he has no problem going in there now.

I'll still have a look at both of them. For starters, I found another thread, where Maguires was HIGHLY suggested, while Petmania sorta got a negative review.

But, the last time I was there, I was too busy looking at gerbils, so yeah. If I see a pile of dead fish, then I'm probably not going to buy from there. Fingers crossed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

is there a new fish shop open on morgan street? I heard its opposite the owls nest pub (well where it used to be)

A shop that sells ONLY fish?! Going to stop by Petmania on Tuesday, maybe Morgan Street and MaGuires, thanks.

• Advertisement

petmania wrote: »
    In response to this post, we wish to assure all customers of our 100% commitment to our livestock welfare. Each of our stores, including Waterford, has an OATA Trained fish expert in store and our tanks are maintained to the highest standards.

And your expert does know her stuff as i mentioned, its the other employees id be more worried about. I overheard one employee tell a customer that it was ok to have two male bettas in a tank together!!! (Bettas are also known as Siamese fighting fish, for a good reason). Now fair enough if the employee doesnt know something they should just say they dont know. But they sounded more interested in the sale rather than supplying someone a pet. Not the best approach considering the amount of money the may potentially spend in your shop looking after the pet.

OP, theres another shop in New Ross (Hennessy's i think) which had a huge seletion of tanks. Might be worth a look if your down that way. And dont forget the other petshop in town down near the bridge, although they dont really have a great seletion anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭SirenX

like creamsoda, I went in thereonce and there was nearly 100 fish cramed into one fish tank and every time I go in there, there is always a few dead fish floating around. plus the prices in petmania are unreal
    MaGuires is the place to go. their fish are always healthy looking and kept in clean conditions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭nickybutler

I got a great deal in McGuires!

€59 for a 54litre fish tank. It came with filter and everything. We have 4 fish now, all bought from McGuires. Last time I was out there they still had some!

We had numerous problems with our oldest fish (who out grew its smaller tank, hence buying the 54litre one),

It had an infection on its mouth
    Another time its skin was peeling
    And another time it was sitting at the bottom of the tank depressed.

We took a few trips out to McGuires and each time picked up some really good advice and left with a solution to our problem.

Anytime I have been out there I have spoken to Noel or Frank, one of them always seems to be in the shop, they really know what they are talking about! There knowledge is great.

Theres days I have been out there and asked a hundred questions. Frank and Noel are very passionate about what they are doing and about the welfare of the fish. If I have any questions about fish problems at all I would go straight out there.

I have been in Pet Mania a few times too. Its just like any other Franchise, Its a great shop selling lots of different things, the animals all seem to be happy, its nicely laid out but the problem is there a Jack of All trades and a master of none, thats really my impression, The staff arent stupid, they know there basics but there definately no experts. If I have a fish problem or question I wouldnt be asking it in Pet Mania, but McGuires instead.

I got a great deal in McGuires!

€59 for a 54litre fish tank. It came with filter and everything. We have 4 fish now, all bought from McGuires. Last time I was out there they still had some!

We had numerous problems with our oldest fish (who out grew its smaller tank, hence buying the 54litre one),

It had an infection on its mouth
    Another time its skin was peeling
    And another time it was sitting at the bottom of the tank depressed.

We took a few trips out to McGuires and each time picked up some really good advice and left with a solution to our problem.

Anytime I have been out there I have spoken to Noel or Frank, one of them always seems to be in the shop, they really know what they are talking about! There knowledge is great.

Theres days I have been out there and asked a hundred questions. Frank and Noel are very passionate about what they are doing and about the welfare of the fish. If I have any questions about fish problems at all I would go straight out there.

I have been in Pet Mania a few times too. Its just like any other Franchise, Its a great shop selling lots of different things, the animals all seem to be happy, its nicely laid out but the problem is there a Jack of All trades and a master of none, thats really my impression, The staff arent stupid, they know there basics but there definately no experts. If I have a fish problem or question I wouldnt be asking it in Pet Mania, but McGuires instead.

What was the biggest tank there? Checked the internet, and it said, I would need at least a 29 GALLON tank. If the gallons to liters conversion widget I found on the internet is right, I need around a 110L tank.

He would have 120l tanks and bigger (as would petmania)

Thanks, gonna have to check the prices on tanks for both shops. Might buy tank in Petmania, and head on over to MaGuires for fish.

Yeah they had 110litre and bigger tanks again. I priced them up a few months ago, theres a massive selection out there. From what I can see from being in both places is that McGuires can be anything up to 50% cheaper for tanks and accessories.

Best bet is to give them a call and see first:
    Website here: http://www.plantsplus.ie/mcguires

However if money isnt a huge option then Pet Mania have some nice looking tanks!

Yeah they had 110litre and bigger tanks again. I priced them up a few months ago, theres a massive selection out there. From what I can see from being in both places is that McGuires can be anything up to 50% cheaper for tanks and accessories.

Best bet is to give them a call and see first:
    Website here: http://www.plantsplus.ie/mcguires

However if money isnt a huge option then Pet Mania have some nice looking tanks!

I hope money won't be too much of a object! Thanks, I'll give them a call and see what they say.

And since petmania are on boards.ie they may even offer to price match what you get qouted? Long shot, no harm to ask them? Just post it up here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

And since petmania are on boards.ie they may even offer to price match what you get qouted? Long shot, no harm to ask them? Just post it up here.

They are working on getting a proper account setup before posting, so it may be sometime before (or if) they reply im afraid.

• Advertisement

Just checked the McGuires website. I'm going to go there, or maybe even order a fish online, the retailer are in Ireland of course. Blue leg hermit crab for a fiver!

Dont forget to give your tank plenty of time to cycle before getting to many fish. The lads in Maguires will talk you through it and maybe some of their extra to get the cycle going faster

Yeah, I've been online quite a bit trying to find out how to cycle my fish tank, I think I got it right. I want to do it fishless, of course.

Theres an aquarium section on boards here if you get stuck.

wobbles wrote: »
    Theres an aquarium section on boards here if you get stuck.

Thanks! I needed a thread like that.

EDIT: Anyone have the opening hours for McGuires? I probably won't be able to call them now, though :/

Well let us know how you get on!

Advertisement