Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upscaling music files

• 12-04-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

I play my ipod through my music system in my car (iDrive) the only problem I have is that the sound quality of the music playing from the ipod through the idrive is shi*.

A lot of the music I have would be running at 192 kbps or lower. I was wondering if any of you know of any software that will upscale the bit rate of my music files to like 300 kbps or so?

I'm told that a higher bit rate will sort a lot of the problem out...

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

No, you have used lossy compression so the quality is permanently reduced. You could transcode using a higher bitrate but it would be pointless, all it would do is make the files bigger without any increase in quality (actually quality would go down slightly).

The only way to increase the quality is to go back to your original CDs and re-rip at a higher bitrate. Or better still, use lossless compression if your music player supports it.

In any case I don't think that is the problem, in a poor listening environment like a car there wouldn't be much difference between a 192kbps mp3 and the original CD. If it really sounds bad, it's more likely some component in your sound system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

No, you have used lossy compression so the quality is permanently reduced. You could transcode using a higher bitrate but it would be pointless, all it would do is make the files bigger without any increase in quality (actually quality would go down slightly).

The only way to increase the quality is to go back to your original CDs and re-rip at a higher bitrate. Or better still, use lossless compression if your music player supports it.

In any case I don't think that is the problem, in a poor listening environment like a car there wouldn't be much difference between a 192kbps mp3 and the original CD. If it really sounds bad, it's more likely some component in your sound system.

Yes I'm told some of the components in the idrive aren't the best.

Advertisement