Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perspex sheet, price?

• 12-04-2011 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Went to my local builders merchants today looking for perspex sheet. They quoted me the following on 6'x4' sheets.

5.5mm - €70
    4mm - €60
    2.5mm - €40

I nearly had to change the underwear. Is this normal pricing for perspex?

(what i want it for is to make some windows for a boat cabin, 2 of which will have to be thermaformed / bent)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

dnme wrote: »
    Went to my local builders merchants today looking for perspex sheet. They quoted me the following on 6'x4' sheets.

5.5mm - €70
    4mm - €60
    2.5mm - €40

(what i want it for is to make some windows for a boat cabin, 2 of which will have to be thermaformed / bent)

Price around, but you will find that its pretty expensive stuff.

Those prices dont suprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

keep us informed as I want to build a small grow box for my Veg and have been thinking of perpspex. DIY stores are very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

gsxr1 wrote: »
    keep us informed as I want to build a small grow box for my Veg and have been thinking of perpspex. DIY stores are very expensive.

I had a similar idea and looked at this website today:
    www.365plastics.ie
    I haven't bought from them, they're the first ad in google, but it will give you a indication of cost.
    B&Q also have hollow core sheets, IIRC around €100 for a 1x3m 10mm
    have some around the €35 mark, thinner and maybe 2x.7m?

Might just build a frame out of treated 2x2 and staple on clear plastic sheeting, probably need replacing every year or two.

have a look here to for a recycled green house: http://www.squidoo.com/plasticbottlegreenhouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

5.5mm - €70
    4mm - €60
    2.5mm - €40

yeah i'd say thats about right i priced a 5mm 8x4 sheet before they told me it was €96 i told them ya can keep it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

Try alperton engineering in Dublin. They are usually very good price wise Tel 01 8306277 ask for Liam Kelly. They also do a cutting service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

ruffmut wrote: »
    Try alperton engineering in Dublin. They are usually very good price wise Tel 01 8306277 ask for Liam Kelly. They also do a cutting service

I don't need a cutting service, I will do my own cutting. Nevertheless, I googled them and found their website, after a couple of minutes wondering exactly what they did / offered, I clicked on their about us link. Any company that waffles on that much without answering the simple question "what do you do?" has problems.

I'm not interested in their vision, or their integrity, success or community. Just tell me what do you do ffs. Corporate dialog is something I just hate and as soon as I see it I just switch off.

I still don't know what those dialog augmentation guru's do, I don't know if they can sell me a sheet of perspex or not. And now I don't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

I don't need a cutting service, I will do my own cutting. Nevertheless, I googled them and found their website, after a couple of minutes wondering exactly what they did / offered, I clicked on their about us link. Any company that waffles on that much without answering the simple question "what do you do?" has problems.

I'm not interested in their vision, or their integrity, success or community. Just tell me what do you do ffs. Corporate dialog is something I just hate and as soon as I see it I just switch off.

I still don't know what those dialog augmentation guru's do, I don't know if they can sell me a sheet of perspex or not. And now I don't want to know.

That's fine with me. All I did was offered someone who can supply material to you. I use them all the time for supplying any type of plastic material blocks and sheeting at a good price.

All you had to do if you wanted is to make a quick phone call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I'm using an old car windscreen!!:D - old house windows work well too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

http://www.365plastics.ie/Acrylic-perspex-sheet-clear.html

This crowd might be worth checking out

Advertisement