Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hong Fu build thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Built?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

No, sorry. I just started a new job last monday straight after finishing college so i havent had 2 seconds.

I really having a hard time with the groupset choice. I current have two sets of campy wheels, so instead of the Sram rival for €510, im thinking of going with the campy centaur with carbon cranks and leavers for €580, as it would save me buying new wheels. Its a slight bit heavier than the sram but in not too bothered by the slight weight difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

This might be of interest to ya, special offer on Athena Carbon this week on bike-palast €599 !!!

http://www.bike-palast.com/en/Racebike/Groupsets/Campagnolo-Athena-11s-Carbon-groupset.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

macken04 wrote: »
    No, sorry. I just started a new job last monday straight after finishing college so i havent had 2 seconds.

I really having a hard time with the groupset choice. I current have two sets of campy wheels, so instead of the Sram rival for €510, im thinking of going with the campy centaur with carbon cranks and leavers for €580, as it would save me buying new wheels. Its a slight bit heavier than the sram but in not too bothered by the slight weight difference.
    Congrats on getting the job. Don't let it get in the way of your cycling though :D Regarding your wheels and gruppo. If you swap out the compag free hub on your rear wheel for this (you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere) you should be able to go ahead with a Shimano or SRAM groupset.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

I've used my 10 speed campag mirage cassette/wheel on both DA and Sram rival in the past and it has worked fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

just saw this Thread. are the Hong Fu Frames as good as the De Rosa Frames ?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay, I have only recently finished and been able to give it a decent ride. I decided to get the last few parts second hand to keep the price as low as possible.

To all those who pm'ed me, please post questions here and I will answer. I have only really had my iphone recently so posting was a mess.

I went with the Sram Rival g/s and Mavic Aksium wheels. The bike is full carbon with carbon bars and seat post. My measurer has them at 7.56KG, but I think it could be a tad off.

Construction:
    I have not noticed any issues with the frame. The dropout are exact to the mm. The is no excess coat on any of the parts and no imperfections I can see. Got it fully built by cliff in EuroCycles, he was great after a bad experience else where.

Customer Service:
    I initially thought there was an issue with the frame when my wheel was not sitting right, I took it to *** in talagh as was told the dropout were out of alignment as my wheel was rubbing the side. I was freaking out to be honest so contacted Jenny, who asked for some pics and said if there was an issue she would send me a replacement. I took it to cliff in EuroCycles who looked at it and tested another wheel and measured. Turned out the wheel was out of dish and the guy in *** measured from the wrong part. The frame was fine just the wheel needed some attention. However, Jenny was willing to replace the frame if I could send her a picture of the measurement to confirm it was the dropouts.

The Frame:
    The frame is very stiff at the front end, I'm 89kg and I notice not front end flex when giving it socks. There is a very small amount of flex in the bottom bracket, but this is minimal. When swapping over from an alum/carbon frame the big thing I have noticed is how fast it is in comparison. I was shocked my first trip up stocking lane, when in the big ring it is just a treat. The carbon bars a very light and exceptionally comfortable, cannot fault them at all. I am overall exceptionally happy with it all so far, I wont see many around and its as good as anything in the shops for a similar price.

Please see the pics and fire questions away. I will also get more up later today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67526111@N04/

• Registered Users Posts: 10 richiewhe

Hi just wondering how is the bike going any problems issues or advice im thinking of goin down the same route ,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

Any reason you didnt go for chinese wheels ?
    Thinking of upgrading and looking at HongFu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but Hong Fu threads seem to be few and far between.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on this:

FM139+FK139+SP139:$485(frame,fork and seapost)
    headset:$15
    HB003:$60
    50mm clincher wheelset:$470(black hub,UD matte,20/24H,red nipple)
    titanium quick release:$10(I can send to you as gift with the brake pads together)
    ship cost:$90+$85(frames and wheelset)
    4% for paypal charge:$48.2
    the total price:$1253.2

I'm just looking to get an idea of fitment first. OP what chart did you work off and did you find the sizing standard european size or slightly smaller.

I'd be between a 54-56 normally. I really should get round to a good bike fit.:o

Also how is your bike holding up OP I might well becoming annoying over the next while as this will be my first bike build :eek:

Is there anything you'd recommend or somthing you'd have done differently in hindsight. I'm swaying between matt and gloss finish depending on the day as for the 3k/12k/ud I've no clue so I'll go with whatever they're offering.

Thanks for any tips if you're still knocking about here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Ger.O.Mahony

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but Hong Fu threads seem to be few and far between.

Mr.Fred, you should check out velobuild.com, plenty of info available on self build Chinese frames there. There is a Hongfu section..

Ger

Mr.Fred, you should check out velobuild.com, plenty of info available on self build Chinese frames there. There is a Hongfu section..

Ger

Thanks Ger will do.

No problem. I've built up a Dengfu FM098 frame with an Ultegra Groupset, and Farsports 50mm carbon clinchers so if you have questions I may be able to help.

Carbon weave is a matter of choice but I would get the frame with just clear coat, no paint so you can do a visual inspection of frame.

I've had my bike over a year and no problems, very happy with it. Will go back to them again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd like to go the Chinese frame self build route, I don't know enough about bikes to ensure I order compatible parts etc. I am fine as far as frames and groupsets go, but once we get into Bottom Brackets, Headsets etc. my knowledge is limited. Anyone point to some decent reading material that will bring my knowledge up to scratch on self builds, compatibility etc.

Thanks,

Inq

No problem. I've built up a Dengfu FM098 frame with an Ultegra Groupset, and Farsports 50mm carbon clinchers so if you have questions I may be able to help.

Carbon weave is a matter of choice but I would get the frame with just clear coat, no paint so you can do a visual inspection of frame.

I've had my bike over a year and no problems, very happy with it. Will go back to them again in the future.

Thanks man. I was thinking about going for the matt carbon but I like the clear coat finish aswell. I think the matt finish might end up grubby looking after so long.

The carbon weave I was quoted for was uni directional I cant seem to find examples of the other varieties.

I'm hoping to pick up a groupo at a reasonable price over the winter.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I'd like to go the Chinese frame self build route, I don't know enough about bikes to ensure I order compatible parts etc. I am fine as far as frames and groupsets go, but once we get into Bottom Brackets, Headsets etc. my knowledge is limited. Anyone point to some decent reading material that will bring my knowledge up to scratch on self builds, compatibility etc.

Thanks,

Inq

Inq,

I would start with Velobuild, there are loads of build threads on there for different Chinese frames. I found this one to be very comprehensive.

As far as bottom brackets are concerned, with the Chinese frames usually come in either BSA or BB30, just get a compatible bottom bracket. BSA is the standard and probably your best bet. A quick Google will bring you up to speed in the differences.

The likes of Dengfu & Hongfu offer a headset for an extra $15 I think.

For build guide and videos FLO cycling have some nice info.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    The carbon weave I was quoted for was uni directional I cant seem to find examples of the other varieties.

I'm hoping to pick up a groupo at a reasonable price over the winter.

Uni directional is good. I took my time getting the groupset and picked up bits on sale at the usual online stores..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Uni directional is good. I took my time getting the groupset and picked up bits on sale at the usual online stores..

Seems to imply its all UD underneath anyways, and only the final coat that one has a choice on? 3k being the most aesthetically pleasing to my eye anyways?

Indeed. I opted for the 3k weave with gloss clear coat. Looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

The final outer finish is just that. An outer finish.
    12k 3k ( 3k is usually the finish on the smaller parts like bars,headset spacers etc very fine/herringbone type of finish) or UD (uni directional ie no layering just a flat black effect).
    Whether its gloss or matt depends on what finishing lacquer they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Double post.

Advertisement