Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to keep mobile costs down on hols

Options
  • 12-04-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭

Last time I went on hols my kids didn't have phones, the wife and I didn't use mobile data and I had a lot more money to piss away.
    So my plan is to switch off mobile data entirely (difficult) while on hols, only contact wife and kids by text and keeps calls back to home to a minimum.
    Am I doing the right things to keep costs down?
    Anything else I should be doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Last time I went on hols my kids didn't have phones, the wife and I didn't use mobile data and I had a lot more money to piss away.
    So my plan is to switch off mobile data entirely (difficult) while on hols, only contact wife and kids by text and keeps calls back to home to a minimum.
    Am I doing the right things to keep costs down?
    Anything else I should be doing?

Yeah, switch the phones off all together!! I wouldnt use a phone on hols bar emergencys, Its my holidays i get enough phone calls at home. Rest time :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 nadel302008

When we go on holidays we leave the mobile phones at home and use local pay phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I do want to keep in contact with the kids (12&13yo i.e. They're old enought to do their own thing to an extent) plus mobile maps, search would be v handy. Not interested in hearing from anyone at home except if actual emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Where you going on holidays, don't attempt to use a-gps unless your covered for data abroad, also make sure your switch off your voicemail as you'll be charged everytime someone leaves you a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

, also make sure your switch off your voicemail as you'll be charged everytime someone leaves you a message.

... unless you are on Vodafone who doesn't charge for voicemail forwarding while roaming. But then again, who uses voicemail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I'm going to spain and i'm on meteor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Leave it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Oasis678

What i do is i buy a prepaid sim card in the country im visiting. If someone needs to reach you in emergency they just ring that number and its not costing you money to receive calls.

Can also be beneficial if you need to make local calls booking taxis etc while abroad as would be cheaper than using your irish sim card.

Just make sure your current network operator gives you the network unlock code for your phone before you go so that it will accept other sim cards.

Saves a fortune. No nasty bill surprises when u get home!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

This is where people who go for the 'cheaper' option of buying a locked phone really get their comeuppance :)

Advertisement