Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost for replacing kitchen countertop

• 12-04-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm a tenant. The kitchen countertop got burnt, possibly because I put hot pans on it (though I did that before and nothing happened). 3 spots got bubbled up with the sizes from 1-cent to 5-cent coins. I heard there isn't really a way to repair those except replacing the whole countertop. Can someone give me some idea how much it costs to have the kitchen countertop replaced? I'd like to have some idea before the discussion with the landlord. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

what length and thickness is the current one and how many corners and hobs/sinks/etc cut into it?

can u post some pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jinyasha

It's 4.2- meter long and 0.6- meter wide. No idea about the thickness. From the bubbled spots, it doesn't feel very~ thick. On one end, there is a corner of a wall. Then there is the kitchen sink and oven top. Picture will come later once I have my digital camera with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

The 4.2 without a join could be a bit expensive but lets say 200 euro for it.
    also may be an access issue for a 4.2m

If landlord has a handy man then another 200 should do it, else its a plumber/sparks/chippy job.

When taking the pics pls show if there are any wall tiles sitting on the worktop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

4.2 meters is two lengths of worktop, and base prices are around €95 ish a length.

Chat the landlord first, you may be able to have this marked down as wear and tear in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

This thing happened to me years ago. I used sandpaper to remove the 'bubble' then I filled the damage with 'Isopon', the stuff that is used in car dent repairs. When hard I used sandpaper again to smooth it off. The main objective was to seal the worktop against water ingress (it is glorified chipboard so it is essenitial you do this or else it will swell up). Of course the only problem was that the repair was grey in colour, and the worktop was cream. But at that stage I wasn't too worried about colour matching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Try the IKEA website too, you'll find some of theirs are quite reasonable. Not the best out there by any means but it sounds like you just want to 'make good' the problem.

Advertisement