Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I inform the neighbours??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

paddy147 wrote: »
    You really need to study the European/EU laws and rights of a person before making any more comments.:rolleyes:

reminds me of the bull in the china shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

i know what i'd think if someone planted trees like that unnecessarily and blocked my light. and i'd be right.

this thread is depressing.

your probably not reading all my reasoning then. I also have a security issue of a low back garden fence as previously stated...

Therefore i am not unnecessarily blocking someones light....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i wish my neighbour would grow a few trees at the back of us
    big saggy wrinkly tits are not what i want to be looking at whenever a bit of sun comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

OP you may want to check with the council before you do anything, as Sonnenblumen pointed out a structure may be built without permission to a height of 2m. This means that the wall can be built no further than 2m on the neighbours side, not yours, so your still going to end up with a shorter wall.

Best short term solution for you is to invest in some wooden garden pannelling or fencing and attach it to the existing wall on your side an grow some climbers. Clematis grows fairly quick as does honeysuckle. Then apply for permission to extend the height of the wall but expect objections!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your probably not reading all my reasoning then.
    it's more the other posters with the '**** 'em, your property rights override all other concerns' attitude which i find depressing. at least you seem to want a compromise.

maybe i'm biased, but i know loads of my neighbours on a first name basis, and i know how valuable it can be having goodwill around you. don't mess with that lightly.
    like i said - birch would provide screening without that complete light blockage that leylandii provide, and they will look a lot nicer from their side too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I think the message here is that whilst you can completely shield your garden with leylandii, compromise is probably the best option in terms of neighbours.

There's no right to light in Ireland irrespective of what has been said & I have a neighbour that's just tried that line. She contacted the council & they told her as much, she then went legal & took a case for nuisance - she lost that too - as you can see from the photo below, she has more of a case than most especially given that the trees are one the east of her garden, so light is severely hampered.

Relations between the neighbours is at an all time low & they spend their time avoiding each other - compromise is your only man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Of all plants don't go putting in a 100ft row of leylandii unless your fully prepared to put the work in keeping them in check. There is evidence everywhere of them growing out of control in suburban settings from lazy ignorant owners and very few well kept hedges. They grow at an astonishing rate and are so dense no light will get through. Neighbours
    at my back planted them and never kept them under control meaning every year i have to top them from my side cut them back from overhanging on a 20ft run and its a huge amount of waste to get rid of. You should take into account that you should take care of overgrowing folige on your neighbours side too but there is nothing
    to say you must do.The other half another 20ft she wont let us cut which has now a towering 25-30ft structure blocking half the garden of light and its horrible and so selfish. When i went to dig a little in the bag this summer the roots are now over 10ft into my lawn and everything is just bone dry all this distance from our wall. You should be weary also of possible cracking to walls from roots, as my neighbour has experienced. I think leylandii have their place and can look well properly maintained but people get lazy don't bother one or two years cutting and next it,s a nightmare and costly to get some pro's in.
    Is there not something else that may suit, less destructive maybe something that creates more dappled shade.
    In regards to height my house is south facing. The wall at the back of my house is about 8ft and another 3-4ft of leylandii. In the summer is will block approx 6-10ft of light into the garden depending on the height of the sun, come winter it won't get any. Just letting you know this so you have an idea of what your neighbors may experience. If their gardens are not deep it may have a much more drastic effect.
    Nobody has a right to light but its definetly something don't give a rats ass about until the tables are turned and your on the receiving end and can't enjoy your garden. Whatever your decision take your time and do your research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Andip thats what i live with in my back garden half of it covered by those monsters except for me the distance is closer and south facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Meelich

Please please don't put in Leylandii, they are horrible plants, block huge amount of light, look incredibly ugly if you trim them back, create tons and tons of waste leaves/branches on the ground and the roots are massive and destructive and drain your own lawn of moisture, never mind your neighbours. You will be creating a rod to spoil your own back by planting them. They will also eat into your own garden in terms of how wide they will get over time.

the lowest maintenance option by far would be to get some of the opaque roller blinds for your back windows and let the sunlight into your and your neighbours gardens.

If your neighbours gardens are south facing this means yours must be north facing meaning you will be creating an even more shaded back gardn for yoursefl, that's far from ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

As someone who has neighbours with tall conifers at the back of me I would urge you to take your neighbours feelings into consideration. The ones at the back of me are about one and a half times the size of the house, there is part of my back garden where nothing grows, not even grass because there is no sun light getting through. The roots are also starting up push up under the dividing wall so there is a big crack in the wall. I sometimes also fear in high winds that one of the trees will come down, if that happened the damage would be extensive.
    I don't know why my neighbours feel the need to have such high trees there is already a 6ft wall around there garden. Sometimes I think it's just that people are under the notion that their lives are so interesting that people will be peering out the window at them all the time, not the case at all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Go ahead and plant the trees, it's your garden and you deserve privacy. Good luck!

leylandii-006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Could you put yourself in your neighbours' shoes for a minute and think how you'd feel if they planted a mighty line of Leylandii along the boundary with you & you had no control over how high or wide it would be. Bet you'd be knocking on their door mighty fast.
    Consider putting a nice mixed border in at the bottom of your garden with some high evergreen shrubs dotted at the back. You'll get height and all year round interest + something that doesn't require constant cutting like a hedge or the dreaded Leylandii.
    I have to live with a row of 40+ feet Ash trees at the bottom of my south-west facing garden & they block an incredible amount of sun in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

All these house gardens are about 5 ft lower then the level of my back garden.

Surely the neighbours are at the disadvantage here, arent you looking down on them?? I would think their 10ft fence is high enough to stop them seeing into your garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Planting Leylandii makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in small suburban gardens surrounded by other gardens/houses- you said the houses are south facing- that means sunlight most of the day from early morning right through to evening time hitting various parts of their garden...even an 8-10 foot high hedge won't impinge on their light, especially if the fences are at the end of their garden...but get something sensible..Leylandii are just unsuited for a garden your size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

gizmo555 wrote: »
    leylandii-006.jpg

Gizmo

what an extraordinary photo, is it real? I'd love to know the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Gizmo

what an extraordinary photo, is it real? I'd love to know the location.

It's in Plymouth in Devon - http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/sep/06/huge-leylandii-plymouth-dispute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

You could dig your garden to the level of the other gardens, get some great top soil, have a smashing garden, not have the hassle of tree maintenance or annoyed neighbours.

If any neighbour of mine had such little regard for me as to plant leylandi and obstruct my sun I would spray roundup all over their garden when they were in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

Like everyone said don't plant leylandiis they're a horrible plant and take over
    the place, very high maintenance, laurel hedging is better

Advertisement