Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions

Options
  • 12-04-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭

Assuming a suitably IP rated Distribution board is available is there any rule against placing a DB outside of a house.its an existing installation where the fuseboard is being replaced and the owner would like it moved outside.

I've checked the 4th edition and can't really see anything definitive prohibiting it except maybe that it would have to be locked to prevent unauthorised access and therefore may be considered not easily accessible.

Also on a rewire is it an ETCI requirement to provide smoke/heat and carbon monoxide detectors or just good practice?

And lastly does the main 63A switch/fuse now need to be in the meter box instead of the DB?

All input appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the domestic tails are usually protected in the cabinet now

has to be circuit breaker with suitable breaking capacity

would be madness to move the the consumer unit outside on an upgrade

smokes and carbon monoxide i think are covered by building regs-dunno if there's anythiong in ETCI rules on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you'll still need a 'main isolating switch' in the consumer unit

with the breaker in cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Ok thanks for that.

It is madness but its what he wants

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

M cebee wrote: »
    would be madness to move the the consumer unit outside on an upgrade

This.

Ring ECSSA/RECI, I'd be inclined to tell him it's not allowed, has he any reason in particlular reason for this request?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

superg wrote: »
    Ok thanks for that.

It is madness but its what he wants

Sounds like the owner is a bit mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 clarke85

I remember a few years ago doing upgrades in ballymun, forget the name of the estate but all the fuseboards where in their porch, no porch doors with a normal esb box triangle key lock on a ply wood door built into the wall.
    I thought it was crazey,the boards where standard domestic board absolutly exposed to eliments but suprizingly there where no signs of any moisture build ups, but they did say the had problems with kids switching fuses off, i do wonder how they got on with the last two winters as they were bad.

Advertisement