Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prefect/Mentor/Head girl/boy

• 12-04-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

This is my first time to post a thread so sorry if I do something wrong :p

I'm in 5th year and this week applications to be a mentor/prefect/Head Girl/Boy have to be filled in.
    I'm wondering if any other schools have this system as I want to know if I apply will it affect my studies? Does it take up alot of time?
    Any feedback is appreciated :D
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm applying for prefect, as far as I could see the only issue was you really had to be on time and organize the odd pizza party. Didn't look like any major work time wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

It's really not worth the bother trust me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Many schools have this.

In our school you get a shiny gold badge, you sit on the student council and you represent the school on open evenings e.t.c.

I was going to be a prefect but chose not to at the last moment. I'm glad that I didn't, in reality the student council has no purpose whatsoever and the prefects are just used to represent the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Many schools have this.

In our school you get a shiny gold badge, you sit on the student council and you represent the school on open evenings e.t.c.

I was going to be a prefect but chose not to at the last moment. I'm glad that I didn't, in reality the student council has no purpose whatsoever and the prefects are just used to represent the school.

But...but...its a shiny badge and a tie!! I want one!

Ex student council person here too, what a big ball of pointless that was :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I'm a prefect, and was a mentor last year. Mentor's essentially take care of the first years, but prefects mostly don't do much. If we have any ideas for the school they're taken into account, for example we got a computer during evening study which is handy. The most important thing we've been asked for was the prefects and mentors input in regards to the new principal next year.

Our school doesn't really need a student council, glad we don't have one really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

its for phags man.....:p

ah no im kidding ...im a mentor btw...:p it lasts for about 3 weeks till the first years are familiar with the school...then hasta la vista first years ...oh and the odd christmas ice skating trip... enjoy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I wanted to be a prefect. I was warned off by a couple of current (this time last year) prefects. Apparently, some teachers hold it against you and somehow think you're meant to be better than everyone else. Usually stuff like "oh you should know better, you're a prefect" or "what kind of example is that for the Junior students". It was usually when they left a book at home or missed the bus and arrived 10 minutes late. Even thinking of that made me not want to be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

Jaysus ye all sound very fancy!! all we have is mentors and we get a cert at the end! end of! :P haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

We have prefects in our school, there's 15 or so of us and it's all very official! :P The teachers all discuss who should get the job! We're each in charge (in 2s) of a junior class and have to visit them every month or so. We also have to do yard duty..!

We get to bítch to our year head when she calls a meeting.. :L She's lovely and if we have prefecty problems she'll sort them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Student2

Thanks for the help :D
    We're being interviewed by people from outside the school next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I'm a mentor, senior prefect and chairperson of the student council :D to be honest I don't do much except get 3 badges and get to go to teacher stuff which is good craic. I saw the moodiest teacher getting so hammered she fell over and I had to pick her up at an event once! Highlight of my life so far mann it was so funny :P go for it! :)

Advertisement