Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huge bill

• 12-04-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

My bills seem to be huge lately, just checked the meter and worked out that over the last two months we have used 1162 day units and 2123 night.

Is this unusually high for a two person household with only one storage heater set to lowest setting, and only lights and a pc running during the day?

How can I figure out what is sapping all the electricity?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi forestfruits,

I would advise you to do the following check:

- Unplug all appliances
    - Turn off your power at the main trip switch (on your fuse board)
    - Wait approx. 10-15 mins
    - Check your meter

At this point the rotating disc should have come to a standstill (if your meter is digital, the red LED should no longer be flashing). If it hasn't, this generally points to a problem within your installation, and you would need to organise for an electrician to run further checks.

If the meter has stopped recording usage, turn your main trip back into the upright position, and keep an eye on the meter while you plug appliances back in. This way you will be in a position to identify any potentially problematic appliances.

I would also recommend you check out our Appliance Calculator. You can use it to:
    • Estimate how much your home electrical appliances and lights cost to run
    • Compare the cost of using appliances in different ways (e.g. washing clothes at 40 °C versus 60 °C)
    • See the positive impact of using your appliances wisely (e.g. using a small ring on your stovetop versus a larger one)
    I hope this information helps.

Thanks,

David.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

My bills seem to be huge lately, just checked the meter and worked out that over the last two months we have used 1162 day units and 2123 night.

Is this unusually high for a two person household with only one storage heater set to lowest setting, and only lights and a pc running during the day?

My first thought was that there was an estimated reading which was badly underestimated.
    After a few calculations I started thinking about the possibility of a faulty or stuck thermostat so heater on almost continuously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Good God, that's more electricity than I'd use in a year!
    Definitely sounds like a faulty thermostat or switch somewhere.
    Have you checked the timer on the immersion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

turn off and disconnect the heater and see if your next bill is any better

Advertisement