Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must see/do in Kenmare

• 12-04-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭

Heading to Kenmare for the week-end and looking for things to go and see/take photos.

I driven the Ring a few times but it's been a while since I was last down there.

Any spot to try and capture sunrise or sunset down that neck of the woods?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

molc on here has some stunning shots from there, pm him if he doesnt reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I loved shooting the seals on the boat on the way to Garnish Island in Glengarriff. I wonder would you still have a lot of magnolias/rhodedendrons and such in flower at this time of year in the gardens, nice views with the italian corner, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

head towards the stague fort beyond sneem (well, castlecove) is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭phog

Thanks for your replies so far.

What's Garnish Island like for a visit, is it all gardens? I would like to get to Gougane Barra anyway so I'll probably be passing by Glengarriff on my way there or my return journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

The drive from Kenmare to Glengariff is absolutely beautiful and has plenty of ipportunity for snaps. Pull in when you are on the Glengarriff side of the tunnels and hop the ditch and take a wander up the hills. Some fantastic little streams and rivers around there as well as the scenery.

On another note I'm heading to a friends stag in Kenmare this weekend so you have to avoid us...cameras are on the banned list!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Phog we had the kids with us the day we went, so our walk around was very short, but yeah, it's all garden, but with some structures. Like in the italian corner I was on about, there's a "temple" sort of thing with a pool and arches and promenades (the one you always see on pics). There is a gorgeous walled garden, with stone doorways with nice perspectives. I think there is a fort/tower at one side too, where you can climb a bit, but we didn't go there.
    The boat trip is very short but lovely, with all the rocks in the bay. Our boat people slowed down nicely near all the rocks with seals so we could take our pics, some were just about 2 or 3 metres away, not a bit bothered by us.
    There's a nice coffee shop on the island with yummy cakes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

We stayed in Glengariff for a few days at the end of March, Garnish Island was closed then so we missed out there, but I do have to say there are lots of photo ops in the general area and the whole Beara Peninsula area is glorious, I'd suggest making sure you go over the Healy Pass and make it out to Allihies, the road from there to Eyries is quite a drive.

We didn't make it to Glen Inchiquin but I've seen some lovely stuff from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 molc

molc on here has some stunning shots from there, pm him if he doesnt reply.

Eh, I do? Where? :D

Advertisement